The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-09-2016, 08:46 AM

Default "Monkey-on-a-stick" pickups

I'm just wondering if anyone still makes the old Dearmond-style floating pickups that clamp onto the strings and have external electrics?

I quite fancy picking one up for an old German made archtop I've been playing around with, but I'd rather not start drilling holes if I can help it & I like the idea of being able to move it to a different guitar should the need arise.

I've had a look at the new versions of the Rhythm Chief and they seem to screw onto the neck rather than clamp on like the original ones?

Hear some footstomping acoustic blues at pistolpetewearn.co.uk!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:24 AM

Guild here:

https://shop.guildguitars.com/produc...0-pickup-gold/

Or even better, here:

http://www.swingmasterpickups.com/index.php?id=102

Oh but sorry, they do attach to the neck.

I push pack a little on that too, so I usually just get a new pickguard with them attached there instead.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 06-09-2016, 06:36 PM

No one is currently doing modern versions of or with the stick. I still use a Guitar Mic and I actually stopped using the stick to attach it so it wasn't in my way. I use puddy from a Schertler pickup I have to attach it. Mounting to the pickguard is another option for the available modern pickups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops