The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Default running Audition on a Mac - anyone succeeded?

This sort of picks up earlier discussions but I'm still curious.... Has anyone gotten Audition to install and run properly under Bootcamp or Parallels or Fusion on a Mac? I have switched to Logic for new recordings but I still like the audio cleanup and mastering tool set on Audition better, so I've kept my Audition DAW alive. Ideally I would prefer to run Audition on the iMac and simply share the files on the same machine.

I haven't tried this for a couple reasons. First, I don't have an old copy of WinXP SP2 lying around and I just can't stand the idea of giving Bill G more money (ok, I'll quickly get over it if I can run AA); second, I managed to nearly brick my iMac trying to install Win XP off a CD that I thought was SP2 but was probably SP1 (unsupported - like, REALLY DANGEROUS TO TRY). I don't care to allow Windows into my new Mac world unless AA will really work.

So - I thought I'd just ask if anyone's tried this feat. I really don't need the recording interface to work, just the editing tools and the audio out (preferably through my Firewire interface, but I could live with the native sound card).

Any success or horror stories? I think Doug Y and Scott Allyn were both toying with this at one point.

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 03-08-2010, 07:37 PM

If anyone knows the answer to your question, they likely hang out here http://www.audiomastersforum.net/amforum/index.php
Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 AM

For clean-up and mastering, have you tried Sound Studio? At the link you can download a full working demo and give it a go for a few days and see if you like it.

I have an older version of the program and use it to clean up audio. I haven't used it for master, though, so I can't comment on that.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 AM

It seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through when there are great mastering apps for Mac:

BIAS Peak - still one of the best, and BIAS makes SoundSoap Pro, which has saved many a recording for me (don't waste money on the cheaper version, it doesn't work as well).

DSP Quattro - a good contender with a great SRC algorithm.

WaveARTS (not Waves) makes a nice Restorations Plugin bundle and a nice mastering bundle. You can pull them right into Logic or Peak or Quattro.

FWIW - I now do all my studio recording, mixing and mastering in Digital Performer. I think it's a lot better of an audio editor than Logic. Almost as good as Pro Fools. I just can't take the Digi/Avid abuse - had a TDM system for years.

Just a couple options for you to explore.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Edward, yes, I've been able to run audition under both bootcamp and parallels, works fine for editing. I tried Peak, and I guess I'm just spoiled by audition, Peak seems pretty weak in comparison, it doesn't really do any of the things I used Audition for. So far, I haven't been tempted to spend the money when I can run Audition under parallels almost like a Mac app, except for direct driver access for recording. I haven't need audition for much tho, so far. I did pick up iZotope RX, which replaces and one-up's Audition's frequency editing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD