The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-05-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
As a listener to solo guitar music I tend to prefer undamped open strings, open tunings and miscellaneous sympathetic overtones to a choppier playing style covered up by real or post-processed reverb. So you're pretty much on the mark to my ears.
Thanks, Brent - I think if I back the mikes off I will probably have a sound I'm pretty happy with.

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 03-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpicker View Post
Rick, what kind of gap do you have between panel and ceiling? I saw a comment elsewhere that the gap should equal the thickness of the panel, which means I would lose 4" of ceiling height in an already low ceiling.
The gap improves the broadband absorption performance by a few percent. If you need the headroom you can reduce the gap. The primary use of the overhead cloud is to kill early reflections rather than broadband absorption.

Panels straddling every corner including wall-ceiling corners and even wall-floor corners will give you the most bang for the broadband absorption buck.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The gap improves the broadband absorption performance by a few percent. If you need the headroom you can reduce the gap. The primary use of the overhead cloud is to kill early reflections rather than broadband absorption.

Panels straddling every corner including wall-ceiling corners and even wall-floor corners will give you the most bang for the broadband absorption buck.

Fran
I've got a lot of stray Auralex hanging around, already mounted to masonite. Is that useful for cloud and/or corners, or is it the wrong sort of stuff?

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD