The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Default I just set up my practice station.

It only took me 15 months, give or take, to think of it.

I have my Zoom H2 on a mic stand set up so it is about 16" inches or so away from where the neck joins the body. Just a little below that and back a lttle is my Ultrasound 30. I have a line going from the headphone out of Zoom H2 and into the input of the amp. All of this is right next to my computer.

I record and within a couple of seconds I can play it right back amplified. I hear much more than I heard just playing. I can really hear how my attack changes the tone. I had no idea how hard I was hitting the strings. Usually when I do a clumbsy cord change I wind up hammering the strings to try to catch up and keep in time. Every little misplaced finger sounds loud and clear.

I am really happy I stumbled across this. I may even get brave enough to post something one of these days.

Lou

The whole point of Christmas is Easter.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 AM

That's a great idea. I've been fumbling with my H2 and ear buds. What kind of cord did you use between the H2 and the amp?

And, what's the computer got to do with? (just curious).
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzMike View Post
That's a great idea. I've been fumbling with my H2 and ear buds. What kind of cord did you use between the H2 and the amp?

And, what's the computer got to do with? (just curious).
It is a double male headphone cord (mini jack size) and I had a mini to 1/4 adapter to go into the amp.

I just like to be near a computer to go to cord find, cordie and youtube to help figure things out. Also I might actually come up with something worth saving someday.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM

My Sony recorder will let me accidentally keep the mics live when I'm all set to play back through the stereo speakers. That'll put a new part in your hair.

To really, really hear what's going on monitor the Zoom through a good set of sealed headphones (to avoid that feedback) where you're hearing through those microphones 16" away in real time. You have to be careful not to throw in the towel and give up on playing the guitar after a few licks of real-time monitoring with sensitive, close-up mics.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
My Sony recorder will let me accidentally keep the mics live when I'm all set to play back through the stereo speakers. That'll put a new part in your hair.

To really, really hear what's going on monitor the Zoom through a good set of sealed headphones (to avoid that feedback) where you're hearing through those microphones 16" away in real time. You have to be careful not to throw in the towel and give up on playing the guitar after a few licks of real-time monitoring with sensitive, close-up mics.

I forgot to mention that They would have found out

I just remeber to turn the amp off before I leave the playback mode and not turn it on until I switch to playback.

When I am playing I can't really listen because as a newbie I have to think of every little movement and cord change. I just don't have the muscle memory enough yet. You want to hear feedback try putting headphones on over hearing aids.

See you soon Brent.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou777 View Post
You want to hear feedback try putting headphones on over hearing aids.
Hadn't thought of that. Ouch!

Quote:
See you soon Brent.
Definitely.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD