The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 AM

Default Got a Zoom H2...Now What?

Just picked up a Zoom H2 off of that auction site. Mostly got it to record lessons and practice, not so much playing and singing. I can't stand to hear myself sing, so I know that nobody else could either!
What recording mode will give me the best quality? I can set it to WAV from 48kbps to 96kbps/24 bit or MP3 from 48kbps to 320kbps or MP3 VBR.
I'm not worried about storage space since I'll only be recording clips and maybe just a few songs.
I'm very new at this recording thing so any tips will be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeeler View Post
Just picked up a Zoom H2 off of that auction site. Mostly got it to record lessons and practice, not so much playing and singing. I can't stand to hear myself sing, so I know that nobody else could either!
What recording mode will give me the best quality? I can set it to WAV from 48kbps to 96kbps/24 bit or MP3 from 48kbps to 320kbps or MP3 VBR.
I'm not worried about storage space since I'll only be recording clips and maybe just a few songs.
I'm very new at this recording thing so any tips will be appreciated.
Hi hp…
The .wav at 44.1 is full CD quality - no need to exceed that.

I actually leave mine in mp3 at 192kbps for most recording. If you go to my SoundClick site most of what I've put up there was recorded at that rate (and SoundClick reduces it further to 128kbps).

I find that the setting I use all the time unless I'm doing something more 'serious' for CD play....

Also, I toss it on top of a camera tripod, and tend to back it out about 12-14'' from my neck/body joint level with the neck and pointed aimed at the neck (not angled at all). My default input volume mode is high, but I only play medium-hard. If you play harder then medium for input is more applicable...

If you click on larry's songs below it will take you to my SoundClick site where you could listen to some of my experiments...

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD