The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Default selling songs in the Christian market

I have written a bunch of songs of which there are 5 goods ones. They are copywrited. I have played a couple around my area they go over great, one of them maybe a little to good, since I got video'd and now the song is shown around without my permission. Cutthroat is an understate in this area. So where does one peddle his stuff and how.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 AM

If you have the CCLI liscense you should be fine, you just have to pay for the copyright usage just like everyone else if you're going to play other people's music.

If you're selling your music then you simply must get it copyrighted first, the US Copyright office is usually pretty good about getting back to you with your papers. I've copyrighted all 4 of my CD releases as well as my singles. It's tedious but it's worth protecting your music.

If you were videotaped without your consent, then you can easily sue them or threaten to sue with the accusation of copyright infringement. If you authorized it then there's nothing you can do.

Copyright is the way to go

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM

The US Copyright Office is really slow with the papers. How can you sue somebody if they don't have anything.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 AM

Finally something that I know a little about... haha!
Ref: www.kindredspiritministry.com
www.myspace.com/kindredspiritministry

It is my understanding that most anyone can sing your songs or perform them without you being paid as long as they are not making money. Now if they record your music to sell it is another story. Before we record any music we first get permission from the writer then acquire a mechanical license for the number of pieces we are going to order initially. The artist/record company pays like 9 cents per song written/per copy ordered (not sold). This 9 cents is split between the writer and publisher.

If you want to get your songs out, my advice would be to give your songs to a good local group and see if they will record it. This does two things.... It gives you a good demo to promote to national artists and it puts your songs in the hands of national artists by the local artist. We have had 3 of our songs recorded by national groups based on listening to our CDs. The writers thanked us and are still thanking us!!

If you think I'm crazy for saying give your song to a good local artist, let me put it into perspective for you.....

A good demo will cost you around $250 per song to record. If you are the writer/publisher it will take roughly 3000 pieces ordered by the artist to break even on that song. Most local artists don't sell that number in christian music. If you are only the writer it will take 6000 pieces sold.

You could also put a stipulation in allowing your songs recorded by the local artist that if after a certain number sold, you want royalties on that song. just a thought...

Out of all the writers on our CDs, we have only had 3 want us to pay royalties which I gladly pay. The other writers were given permission, by me, to use our songs to promote their songs to national groups. Kinda a trade-off. In turn they don't ask for royalties.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I will give you my honest opinion.

Kendall Hadden

PS.... Make sure your songs are copywritten before any of the above....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD