The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Default Cab mic

Not sure if this is in the right thread or not...regardless, here goes.

So one band I'm in is going IEM to get a more quiet practice space as well as a quieter stage for performance since we ALWAYS get complaints about it being too loud. (We play in a Catholic church hall with gobs of natural reverb and no decay.)

In the past, I'd run a Yamaha DXR10 wedge for monitor and IT was the main culprit being too loud so we could hear vocals.

So then our main culprit for the noise had been our drummer who was playing a full acoustic kit. Well he got a nice electronic drum kit, so now it's our electric guitarist who's using a 2x12 amp.

I picked up a Sennheiser e609 to mic his amp. My question is, how do I convince him that his guitar will be plenty loud at FOH even though he can barely hear it from his amp directly. I guess may his IEM mix will do it? And also, any tips for using the Sennheiser e609?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

If you're going with something like an Aviom system where he'll have his own channel mixer, which is really the only way to do it IMO, how loud he is for his personal monitoring is going to be up to him.

He should get over it and use something like a Line 6 Helix, or even something simpler like the Tech 21 Character series (American or British or the JoYo ? clones) and forget a 2x12, or almost any amp save perhaps a MicroCube. Trust me, BTDT. It's going to be continuing pain.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
If you're going with something like an Aviom system where he'll have his own channel mixer, which is really the only way to do it IMO, how loud he is for his personal monitoring is going to be up to him.

He should get over it and use something like a Line 6 Helix, or even something simpler like the Tech 21 Character series (American or British or the JoYo ? clones) and forget a 2x12, or almost any amp save perhaps a MicroCube. Trust me, BTDT. It's going to be continuing pain.
When I go electric I use a pedal board with a tube preamp and get great tone going straight into the mixing board. He is on a limited budget and the amp was given to him, plus he's kinda old school with some stuff, so I suppose I'll have to get him a really good IEM mix and hope for the best.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Default E609

Wrap the chord around the amp handle a couple times and let the microphone hang in front of the speaker. Try different places for the best sound. They're a great microphone. An SM57 works great as well. Both about the same price.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 10-24-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Wrap the chord around the amp handle a couple times and let the microphone hang in front of the speaker. Try different places for the best sound. They're a great microphone. An SM57 works great as well. Both about the same price.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Thanks for the tips.
I use the e906 model from Sennheiser when I need to do this. Try starting halfway between the center and edge of the speaker cone. Experiment further in and out, but I often find this is the sweet spot. Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:10 AM

Have him put the amp on a stand that angles the speaker up towards his ears. Too many guitarists use a combo amp on the floor, with the sound hitting their lower legs - so they keep turning it up to hear it.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars