The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspencer View Post
Sorry to dredge up an old thread. ...
Why not just start a new one? We don't need to see what a bunch of old geezers (including myself!) sagely declared 7 years ago. We keep on talking about the same stuff anyway - we might as well start afresh when we do!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM

EJ17's on a Yamaha FG820. I've read somewhere here that it's recommended by Yamaha to only use lights because of the scalloped braces but I drop to C#/DADGAD 1/2 step down.

Oh and I don't care it warps it over time, I love the way it sounds now

Last edited by Jambi; 03-03-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Thought of somethin' extra
Old 03-03-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

For me it is very simple.

Mediums (EJ17s) on dreads, my SCGC Roy Smeck (not a dread but a deep body jumbo) my two archtops, my Weissenborn, and my National.

Lights(EJ16s) on 0002h, 0028, L-oo (Waterloo) and Evans L-1.

I DO put a 12 and 16 (lights) on my Collings dreads as it makes soloing slightly easier,and the guitars don't need too much treble, and I prefer my action to be a bit higher than standard.

It depends on your playing style but afaic a dreadnought is designed to be a powerful instrument, and need medium strings to get the best out of them.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM

13's for dreads/MJ's/jumbos, 14's for archtops, bluegrass-gauge (12-56) for small-bodies - only guitars that use lights are my Rainsongs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion