The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Default baffling buzz problem...12 fret

I recently got a goodall TR000, and it is a 12 fret. It got shipped to CT from CA 3 day air and has been in my humidified room since. On the second day, the filter DID dry out and overnight the humidity went from 45% to 21%. I've had it since last wed, so today is day 5. It does not appear to be dry at all, and action seems to be on the high side. 6/7 64ths at 12 fret, action at the nut is fine too. When I got it, it had dadario lights and I don't remember them buzzing at all. Then I switched to Nano med, seemed fine too, then tried light nanos..Thats when the buzz started. I tried adjusting the truss rod, whch I've done a million times, to no avail. The buzz is on the "attack" and stops imediately after striking the low E or A string. Its mostly the Low E thats making the buzz, but the A will too, but takes more power to get it to buzz. The low E with anything other than a very light strum will buzz. BTW, it's on about the 5th or 6th fret on up to 10th..
I've tried everything including going back to med, still there. I checked for rattles from everything including the tuners, truss rod, strings are seated correctly. The only things I really found are: Loose nut, I could slide it out with very little effort, I put a tiny dab of elmers on it. One tuners may have been a hair loose and I fixed it up. I removed the nut and grreesed it...

Theres more things I checked, but the wife is getting up set, gotta leave for a party...

Any ideas???
Old 04-01-2007, 12:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSmith66 View Post
I recently got a goodall TR000, and it is a 12 fret. It got shipped to CT from CA 3 day air and has been in my humidified room since. On the second day, the filter DID dry out and overnight the humidity went from 45% to 21%. I've had it since last wed, so today is day 5. It does not appear to be dry at all, and action seems to be on the high side. 6/7 64ths at 12 fret, action at the nut is fine too. When I got it, it had dadario lights and I don't remember them buzzing at all. Then I switched to Nano med, seemed fine too, then tried light nanos..Thats when the buzz started. I tried adjusting the truss rod, whch I've done a million times, to no avail. The buzz is on the "attack" and stops imediately after striking the low E or A string. Its mostly the Low E thats making the buzz, but the A will too, but takes more power to get it to buzz. The low E with anything other than a very light strum will buzz. BTW, it's on about the 5th or 6th fret on up to 10th..
I've tried everything including going back to med, still there. I checked for rattles from everything including the tuners, truss rod, strings are seated correctly. The only things I really found are: Loose nut, I could slide it out with very little effort, I put a tiny dab of elmers on it. One tuners may have been a hair loose and I fixed it up. I removed the nut and grreesed it...

Theres more things I checked, but the wife is getting up set, gotta leave for a party...

Any ideas???
Hi Rich,
Well..............You think that action less than 1/8" is on the high side????

Remind me to let you play my Flammang if I meet you at Acoustic Music.org sometime soon..........

It sounds like your relief is too shallow, or non existant, and that your action is way too low, but what do I know?

Another thing to keep in mind is that string gauge will, very often, have nothing to do with string tension in terms of things being the same from set to set.

I'm using medium gauge D'Addario J-39's nickel wound (electric strings) on my Flammang and they are only moderately heavier, tension-wise, than D'Addario EJ-16 light guage.............Why is that?

Well it's often because of the string core gauge VS the wrap part of the string. Also the metal of the wrap can vary the tension from bronze to nickel.

At least with D'Addarios you can figure that stuff out because the package gives the overall string gauge and the pounds of tension to standard pitch on a typical long scale of 25.5".

Maybe George can sort you out over at acousticmusic.org.

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/videos.html
Old 04-01-2007, 12:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Ps

PS- If it's buzzing on fretted notes, it may well be behind the fret toward the nut..........The way the relief is set can absolutely make that happen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion