The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 AM

Default 2006 414ce ltd?

Anyone seen and played one of these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ase?sku=514186

It caught my eye at the local music shop and i think GAS is hitting me!! Whats nice about it is the maple binding and the back wedge. Also has 'snowflake' patterned fretboard inlay. I tried playing it but unfortunately some guy was testing out a Les Paul with the amp cranked up, so couldn't hear much. From what I can hear though.......it doesn't sound much better if at all compared to my 2005 314ce. Might have to go in again for a proper test. I had a look at the build date and was built in Nov 06. Interestingly it sports the new generation ES with 9v battery and sensor switches. So anyway.....any opinions on them, and how many of these were made? Cheers.

Last edited by sfifteen; 03-16-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Winning!

The 400 LTDs have completely different woods to your 300 series so it may be worth your while retesting them as I've fallen in love with the walnut tone (and looks)!

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:30 AM

I played the 2006 414 ltd quite a bit before I ordered my GSWR. I thought the 414 in Walnut was awesome- a bit better guitar for flatpicking than anything else, but it worked well with all styles.

I wanted a larger body walnut, with a better top for fingerstyle- otherwise the ltd is a HUGE value for a walnut guitar-

I also like the wedge and bindings- I ordered this on mine...it just looks good.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:00 AM

I have an '03 414ce with rosewood back and sides. It's basically an 814ce without the fancy trim features. If you want an 814ce but can't afford one, this is the route to go. I live mine, especially since I just got it back form the factory with the '07 ES upgrade.

Here are some photo's so you can see. Mine doesn't have the maple binding but it does have a 3 piece back. It was a special order not an actual limited edition.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 03-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reags View Post
The 400 LTDs have completely different woods to your 300 series so it may be worth your while retesting them as I've fallen in love with the walnut tone (and looks)!
Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure the guitar I saw was rosewood back and sides. But yes I think I will try them again. Also, since the guitar was made in 06, could there be a possibility that this is a 'beta' version of the new version? I hope not, I'd rather it be a 'pre-release' version.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfifteen View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure the guitar I saw was rosewood back and sides. But yes I think I will try them again. Also, since the guitar was made in 06, could there be a possibility that this is a 'beta' version of the new version? I hope not, I'd rather it be a 'pre-release' version.
The 2006 Fall LTD 414 is Walnut B/S
Old 03-16-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esundell View Post
The 2006 Fall LTD 414 is Walnut B/S
Well, to clarify, its not a Fall Ltd. It just says 414ce ltd on the label. All the fall Ltds I've seen come with the 1st gen ES too.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:27 AM

Cisraeler (Charles) has one of these over here in Singapore. The model is 414ce ILTD. Which stands for International Limited or something like that.
60th Anniversary Fender Jazz Bass
Old 03-16-2007, 11:22 AM

I have one of the few 2006 414CE's with walnut B&S. I have rarely seen any of the fall limited 400 series offered with a cutaway so when I saw one, I jumped on it. Having owned a 2005 414CE L10 w/ rosewood b&s, the walnut was a nice surprise from the rosewood. Granted, the '06 has the updated bracing so that definitely changes the tone, but the walnut is a sweet sound. Great for fingerstyle, and great for strumming. Great guitar!
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 03-16-2007, 11:29 AM

This one is neither a fall limited nor an iLTD. somtimes Taylor will make an run of unannounced limiteds and send them to a select number of vendors. This was one of them. It has all the same appointments of the iLTD(international version) but without the "i" in the label, which denotes that it has the full USA warranty, of which the 'LTDs don't have. Really nice guitar, I whish my 2006 Fall LTD 414e Walnut had the cutaway

A string here, a string there...
Old 03-16-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteemike3 View Post
I have one of the few 2006 414CE's with walnut B&S. I have rarely seen any of the fall limited 400 series offered with a cutaway so when I saw one, I jumped on it. Great guitar!
How did you pull that one off?!?! I was told by Taylor that they made no 414ce LTD Walnuts last year nor could you order one as such(I tried).... Hehehehe someone in the production line probrably made a mistake and you scored because of it!!! Congrats on the great find!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

I believe this to be a special Musicians Friend limited. Taylor will do that from time to time for certain dealers!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:14 PM

If you can still find a fall limited at a dealer, jump on it. Best bang for the buck in my opinion. It's basically a W14 without the bling. If you can find a cutaway, whip out that credit card fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimana450k View Post
How did you pull that one off?!?! I was told by Taylor that they made no 414ce LTD Walnuts last year nor could you order one as such(I tried).... Hehehehe someone in the production line probrably made a mistake and you scored because of it!!! Congrats on the great find!
I was told the same thing by Taylor as well when I initially heard about the fall limiteds. I called Taylor CS and they specifically said that the Walnut 414's were only offered as a full body with or without electronics, so I was a bit bummed. Walked into a small local shop around here and saw one with a cutaway that had just arrived that same day.. picked it up faster than you can count to 100. I've been very lucky with Taylors.. just need to find a neck w/ maple binding...
Larrivee OM-03R
Old 03-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteemike3 View Post
Walked into a small local shop around here and saw one with a cutaway that had just arrived that same day.. picked it up faster than you can count to 100.
They cheated you! You got an incomplete guitar, there is wood missing. where the cutaway is, that should be full of wood. Tell you what, I'll help remedy the situation by sending you my 414e walnut and I'll take yours w/cutaway from you since they cheated you out of the missing wood.... I'll do that since I'm such a nice guy! Oh and I'm humble too, and dang proud of it! hehehehe I'm also always right. Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

aloha

Old 03-16-2007, 05:11 PM

Whoah! Just read the specs on the MF model (basically, like my'03 414rce ltd. but with new 9V ES, satin instead of gloss IR b&s, maple instead of white binding, and a maple back wedge inst. of 2-pc. IR back)-----and it comes prestrung with MEDIUMS! Is this a due to a change of heart/policy on Taylor's part or a change of bracing ("forward-shifted with relief rout")? If the former, can Medium strings safely and *effectively* be used on x14s, or is it just on the new revoiced ones?

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion