The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joost Assink
That's easy for me: this is Ryan territory.

Just watch and listen to these quick and dirty recordings I did of my Ryan Cathedral. They're videos and they're about 19 Mbs each:

www.familieassink.com/documents/saltwater.wmv
www.familieassink.com/documents/test3.wmv

etc...
Hello Joost.

First off, your Ryan(and your playing) sounds wonderful on my JBL system hooked to my CPU.

A couple of questions if you would be willing to answer.

(1) What did you use to record these videos? I might be off here but the sound(in the video) is a bit too good to be recorded directly from some sort of camcorder.

( 2) I understand you are a mgr of some sort....related to music? Would you like to do music full time as your career?

(3) Do you have a CD that can be ordered?

Anyway, nice job Joost.

pic

Last edited by guitpic; 02-21-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:30 PM

Anyone mention Lowden guitars?

I ust downloaded an mp3 of Bill Vencil playing a Lowden 035... ONe of the best sounding guitars I've heard... to my ear anyway...

But I know I'll never come up with the cash for a guitar like that.. Or indeed any of the other hand-builts people here ahving been talking about.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

Hi Pic,
Thanks, indeed the sound was not just the camcorder.
1) I used a Rode Videomic and it cost $90,- but outperforms mics that are 4x that amount. It just plugs into my camcorder with a mini stereo jack plug and it works. I cannot control the volume on my cheapo camcorder so I got an attenuator cable to put before the mic (the mic's got a hot output) and I was good to go!

2) Yes I am a manager but not in music, that's just a hobby. I run a consultancy firm in HR services (Psychological Assessments, Corporate Strategy, Recruitment, etc), so that's quite different. I don't think I would like to do music full time. I would miss my other job too much. This is great mix.

3) I don't have a CD yet, but I do intend to make one as soon as I have enough original songs to fill it. For now I just have these videos and covers. Thanks for asking though!

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 02-23-2006, 06:54 AM

Joost,

Thanks for the info. Your recording/video set up works fine..from what I can tell.

And keep playing, your doing a great job.

Nice visiting with you.

pic
Old 02-23-2006, 09:48 AM

I love my mahogany/sitka Larrivee Parlor.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:21 AM

There are certainly some excellent guitars mentioned that work very well for finger style, but I am shocked that no one mentioned a Doyle Dykes Signature Model. I got mine about two months ago. This guitar has exceeded my expectations which were high, and is a finger style dream. I am so impressed with it that I would categorically say; it’s exceptional value for the money.

Alan

Last edited by Amp; 02-23-2006 at 12:00 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 02-23-2006, 10:36 AM

Wow...you are amazing, Joost. How long have you played? I really need to get serious! That guitar of yours is a belle.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alathea
Wow...you are amazing, Joost. How long have you played? I really need to get serious! That guitar of yours is a belle.
Thanks Alathea. I am just an amateur though, nothing like some of our resident talents like Eltjo (Picker2). I still have trouble when performing for groups. As far how long I have been playing: I have been playing guitar off and on for about 15 years but I was never really that into it until I saw Tommy's DVD 'live in st. louis' in a local guitar shop somewhere in 2003. I was totally inspired but thought I would never be able to play that way. However, I got my first 'real' acoustic, a Taylor, and started working on Tommy's stuff. At first it was quite frustrating, but I got somewhere in the end and since the joy is in the ride, I am enjoying tying to get much better.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 02-23-2006, 12:23 PM
honeycrack

Quote:
That's easy for me: this is Ryan territory. Kevin Ryan has specialized in fingerstyle guitars and it's the reason I started looking at his guitars in the first place. I think they are the best out there for fingerstyle players.

Just watch and listen to these quick and dirty recordings I did of my Ryan Cathedral. They're videos and they're about 19 Mbs each:

Hi Joost, just a couple of questions about your Ryan. What's written on the 12th fret? And is that ziricote for the back and sides? If so, what made you select that wood?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz610
What maker and series would you recommend for fingerstyle players? I am moving more and more into this department and my Taylor action is a little high for my taste.
You will get many various opinions about what is best for fingerstyle. I was interested in this question at one time. I found more opinions promoting the small body guitars than other sizes. But after owning and playing with various smaller body guitars over a few years, I went back to the dreads. My own body size, especially arm length (long arms) and torso lenght (tall), caused me to see that, FOR ME, the dreads were more comfortable and easier to play. My Collings dread sounds great finger-style, as do other dreads. And the sound is balanced IMHO, but with more volume (who needs amps?) and more low end overtones.

Bottom line, your question is pruely personal choice. There is no "best" guitar for fingerstyle. There is just a guitar that you will best prefer. Do not make the mistake placing too much emphasis on what the crowd says is "the best fingerstyle guitar". Only you can really answer that. So good luck finding it in a reasonable amount of time.

Regarding Tayor action, I agree with you that Taylor's out-of-the-box action is high, expecially the nut action and neck relief. Martin's is even higher! Sure, they can be played OK right out-of-the-box, but I believe that 95%+ plus of players would benefit from lower nut action. My guess is that folks, like Jedi, have not really looked at Taylor's nut acton nor know the frets.com approach to measuring and improving it. Again, this is just a guess. I could be wrong and find that Jedi and some of these folks are knowledgeable and just like nut action much higher than the frets, but I just don't understand the benefit, unless you want 20 years of nut ware life.

Last edited by Sugarlander; 02-23-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycrack
Hi Joost, just a couple of questions about your Ryan. What's written on the 12th fret? And is that ziricote for the back and sides? If so, what made you select that wood?
Hi Honeycrack,
On the 12th fret is a signature my wife made. I was making some designs for the 12th fret and my wife made this, and I liked it and also the idea that she made something that would be part of the guitar.

The back and sides are indeed ziricote. Actually it was Kevin who suggested it. I described the sound I was looking for and my budget and he suggested working with ziricote. He gave me a great deal because he was eager to try it himself. It really paid off.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 02-23-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
That's easy for me: this is Ryan territory. Kevin Ryan has specialized in fingerstyle guitars and it's the reason I started looking at his guitars in the first place. I think they are the best out there for fingerstyle players.

Hey Joost, "klasse man!" Especially your Saltwater rendition is just beautiful. Great song too. I also notice you are lucky to have the right hands for playing guitar, almost like "Tommy hands" (XXXL sized). Not to mention that guitar...

Last edited by Picker2; 02-24-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Running Dog

I have a Running Dog mini-jumbo that's just a fabulous fingerstyle guitar. Rick Davis did a beautiful job building it. And considering his baseline model is under $3000, you're not really spending more than you would for a high-end Taylor or Martin, and you have a heck of a lot more say in what you get. Of course, you'll be waiting a year or so to get it, but it's well worth the wait. Rick specializes in small-bodied, steel-string fingerstyle guitars, so you're getting more focus than you will from someone who makes dreadnaughts and 12-strings and mandolins and what not.

And as much as I love my Running Dog, there are dozens of other small luthiers who will build you a handmade guitar to spec for under $5000. Look into it.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker2
Hey Joost, "klasse man!" Especially your Saltwater rendition is just beautiful. Great song too. I also notice you are lucky to have the right hands for play guitar, almost like "Tommy hands" (XXXL sized). Not to mention that guitar...
...yep without that guitar and those hands I would be pretty much lost ...but all kidding aside, that really means a lot coming from you.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion