The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-12-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Guild DC-1 True American - Your Impressions Please

Considering a used Guild DC-1 True American in good shape. A couple of dings on the sound board, but overall very nice. Fischmen pre-amp, natural finish.

Does anyone have or had one of these? What are the pros/cons?

Also considering an Ovation FD-14. This is a folklore series with a 1 3/4" nut, cedar top. This one isn't prime, suffered some damage along the way, but plays as new. Just looks a bit shabby. Again, feedback appreciated.

Blues
Old 09-12-2005, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01bluemiata
Considering a used Guild DC-1 True American in good shape. A couple of dings on the sound board, but overall very nice. Fischmen pre-amp, natural finish.

Does anyone have or had one of these? What are the pros/cons?

Also considering an Ovation FD-14. This is a folklore series with a 1 3/4" nut, cedar top. This one isn't prime, suffered some damage along the way, but plays as new. Just looks a bit shabby. Again, feedback appreciated.

Blues
I'd go with any Westerly built Guild over an Ovation.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeUSA
I'd go with any Westerly built Guild over an Ovation.
I second the motion. Moved and seconded. Any discussion?

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 09-14-2005, 07:57 PM

Thumbs up What I know about the True American

I had a1996 GUILD d4 non cutaway no electonics .. It said true american on the truss rod cover .Ill Tell you what I know .. They were made in Westerly Rhode Island .They were an entry level guitar to compete with Martins dm and road series guitars. I think these are far superior to the ones now made in Corona Cal. Now they are also importing them from China .The true american series has a solid spruce top and sides with a laminated mahogany arched back . They were making the arch backs since the 60s and know what they are doing. The sound from the mahogany Guilds is between a Martin dread and a Taylor dread ,not as much bottom as a martin but it has GREAT mid range and highs I would take the guild over an ovation any day I sold mine on this forum and am SORRY!!!! but at the time I thought I needed to thin done the herd .I dont think you can go wrong with the guild ------- rcoolz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion