The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Hi newbie guitar man

hi there,

I want to start playing guitar and I want to buy an acoustic one for first guitar. I want to give about 200 euro and basicly I am between tow models:
FENDER DG-5 Dreadnought and
Yamaha F310 tsb

This guitars worth for first guitar? Do you have some other guitars to suggest?

Thank you for your time.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

In that price range, Seagull.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-06-2005, 04:36 PM

Welcome to the AGF family, Alkias. Glad to have you with us.

We don't talk openly about guitar prices here, though we do privately via email or Private Messenger. Since you mentioned euros, I assume you are not in the United States. That is important, since both the availability and the cost of guitars where you are could be completely different from what we experience here on this side of the pond.

Generally speaking, many people like the Yamaha and Takamine guitars in that price range, and the Fender you mentioned may be fine, too.

I would suggest that you take a guitar playing friend with you when you go shopping, perhaps someone who plays well the kind of music you would like to play. Their wisdom can be helpful, and sometimes it's nice to hear from someone other than the one trying to sell you a guitar.

Good luck, and whatever you buy, enjoy!

cotten
Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 PM

Between those two models, i'd get the yamaha. i never had good experiences with fender acoustics. However, i'd second the seagull opinion if you can find one. They are very good guitars.

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 09-06-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Highly recommed getting a solid top

I've shopped in the low-end price range a couple of times and I wouldn't ever consider anything less than a solid top guitar. This is opposed to a laminate top. The difference in sound is substantial. Of course a solid top guitar that is unplayable would not be any good either.

Alvarez, Ibanez, Seagull and Yamaha have some nice solid top "starter" guitars. If you can squeeze a few more euros out or wait a little longer it will be worth the wait. You can also add the accessories that you get in these "package deals" later. You can get a pretty decent guitar that you will be happy with for a long time.

If you buy one that's too cheap you will be unhappy with the sound and playablility and thus less likely to pick it up and play it.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Mostly any of the Godin family of guitars are decent (Seagull, Artist & Luthery, Simon/Patrick); Yamaha, Washburn, Alvarez, Ibanez, etc. I haven't played a Fender or Dean I ever liked much.

I have no idea what is available in Europe--there may be some stuff there we've never heard of that could be good. I agree with the recommendation of a solid top too. Avoid those total laminate guitars!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 09-07-2005, 01:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the time you spend to answer me.

About Seagull here in greece I haven't find any model so think I am going to get Yamaha so thanks to everyone
Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 AM

Yamahas are nice. I had an old crappy looking Yamaha(probably low end) that played and sounded awesome. It was a small guitar but very loud. Unbelievably loud. It had been stored over a hot summer in an attic so eventually the top started seperating(lifting) from the bracing so I sold it. I really miss that guitar. The greatest beater ever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion