The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Humidifiers

What brand/kind do you use.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:51 PM

I use the Planet Waves version that you slip between the strings. It seems to work well and it's always stayed in place.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:53 PM

Thats what i use also but I was wondering if that helps enough or if I need a better model.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:54 PM

planet waves for me too, along with the hygrometer as well...

MikeSchnepp at Gmail.com
Old 05-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Default ??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4M1B0ce
Thats what i use also but I was wondering if that helps enough or if I need a better model.
Hi D4-3PO...
Why?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-27-2005, 02:06 PM

Living in S. Florida, where humidity always seems to be at 100%, do you all think a humidifier is necessary? I'd love to hear from other Florida members.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkplayer
Living in S. Florida, where humidity always seems to be at 100%, do you all think a humidifier is necessary? I'd love to hear from other Florida members.
I'm also in Florida (Southwest). I don't think the outside humidity is what is important for us. We all have air conditioners running almost 365 days per year. According to my little Radio Shack unit, the humidity in my house is around 43-44%. I think that is probably OK, but one of these days I am going to ask Zack at Taylor what he thinks.

Hope that helps.
710-L9
Old 05-27-2005, 10:52 PM

someone at taylor will complain about 45%. my guitar has an unbeatable, unsolveable, bizarre buzz. not fret buzz... just a weird BUZZ on the 4th string when played open. it also buzzes with the 5th string played at the 5th fret, leading me to think that since it buzzes for a particular note that the problem is in the construction. i've sent this back to taylor, who said it was just low humidity. the problem was temporarily solved, but returned soon after. i finally gave up and called taylor to find a good luthier, and whoever i spoke to was useless. said 45% humidity is way too low, which i know for a fact to be a bunch of bunk. according to their tech sheets, 45-55% is fine. but just to prove him wrong, i have been humidifying the hell out of the guitar for 2 weeks. with humidity at 58%, saturated for a week, the buzz is still there and the same as always.

although 50% is ideal, 45-55% is going to be fine. it'll be hard to keep it much more exact than that, and those hygrometers have a margin of error of 3-5% anyway. 45% should be enough. might cause slightly lower action or whatever, but i wouldn't sweat it. if 45% is so bad it becomes a problem, i'd say switch to a different brand. my whole experience with this guitar and how taylor has been useless to help me, and continues to tell me that i am inadequately caring for this guitar (which i baby) has caused me to adopt this mindset.

bitter,
jim
Old 05-27-2005, 10:55 PM

oh yeah. to boost my guitar's humidity, i got a JUMBO dampit. not the standard dampit, but the big dampit. got it from the very reasonably priced Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments at www.gregboyd.com. this thing is a humidity monster. if it can't fix my guitar, i give up.

i have a standard dampit which hasn't been powerful enough, and i have a planet waves humidifier which i have found to be pretty much worthless.

jim
Old 05-28-2005, 03:07 PM

Hey bitter Jim,
No wonder you're taking your guitar into that luthier in vienna...hope everything works out for ya ;\

For me, i use two dampits, one in the top headstock area and one hanging off the low E string inside the guitar. I too use the jumbo dampits and it works great for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion