The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Ovation Applause Series

Has anyone played the Ovation Applause series of guitars.
Specifically, acoustic/electiric 12 strings.

Any opinions or thoughts??
I'm still looking for a fairly easy to play 12 string, just for a backup instrument.

Thanks,
Joel

Taylor 314CE
Plus a bunch of cheapo and mod's.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:43 PM

My opinion of any Ovation guitar is that they are pretty lousey acoustic guitars that sound pretty good plugged in. A 12 string Ovation should sound fantastic plugged in. Just watch out for that bowl making the guitar slide off your lap when you are sitting down.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:58 PM

A friend of mine has one that he bought new back in the 80's. It's pretty junky. Poor tone, cheaply made, not much fun to play.
Guild A-150 Savoy, T-50 Slim
Reverend PA-1
Fender Std. Tele
2 Tele partcasters
Taylor 810-LTD, 314-MCE, 717-BE
Martin HD-35, D-18, 00-28, CEO-7, OM-28, 000-18, 00015-sm, M-36
Carr Rambler
Fender ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
Takamine 12-string
1966 Strat
1966 Ampeg Gemini I
1964 Kay archtop
Old 04-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs down Applause ?? Golf Clap Maybe

I had an Applause. I think it was an AE28 model. Sold it for $100. I dont know why they are named Applause because they dont generate any.

Hard to play, muddy tone, slippery to hold.

Why can't we just get along
Old 04-29-2005, 06:37 AM

I had an Applause A/E 12-string from the '80s. It was tough to play, and would feed-back easily when amplified. I played it so much that I wore out the frets! (It had this undescribeable neck material with an aluminum fret board with carved out frets.) After the frets wore out, the guitar was pretty much useless...
I've moved up to a Taylor 355CE...little did I realize I was so deprived of what a 12-string should sound like...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 04-29-2005, 06:58 AM

I have had several Applause 6 strings through the years, and dont think are bad guitars. Mine have stayed in tune well, handled being slung around, taken camping etc. Seem to be well built, though have seen a few cracked tops. Not sure how much more expensive one of the made in Korea Ovations(celebrity series) is than an Applause. Patrick
Old 04-29-2005, 07:13 AM

Wow.. Most sound pretty hard ton the Applause series of Ovations..
I'll back off those for a bit, unless I get a chance to play a few.

Someone mentioned Seagulls, I believe for good 12 strings, but I can't find them locally anywhere. I'd really like to play before I buy.

I'll keep looking around, I'm thinking of spending around 300 dollars now.
A little more if necessary..

I'm in no hurry.. I don't care if the guitar is beat to pieces, as long as it plays good.

Taylor 314CE
Old 04-29-2005, 07:14 AM

I have an Ovation Celebrity 6 string I really like. Sounds pretty good unplugged, and great plugged in. I have never played an Applause that I liked. I see alot of differance between the two models.
Just wear a strap when setting and playing and you won't have any trouble with sliding. The bowl shape really works in your favor when you play standing.
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 04-29-2005, 08:51 AM

I am a big Ovation fan and don't understand the bashing they take though the bowl rubbing on the belly and the sliding off the leg are legitamite.

With that said, the LX series of USA Ovations sound great plugged and unplugged and they have come out with some sort of body hugging deep contour bowl that may become the standard. Can't find them in any stores I've been in though.

HOWEVER...I have never heard a 12 string Ovation I have liked..even their top of the line. So I would in all honesty avoid an Ovation 12 string no matter your price range.

For a little more than what you are thinking Takamine makes a EG523SC12. Basically a maple jumbo body with tons of abalone, 12 strings, stays in tune, plays great and sounds fantastic plugged or unplugged...my friend has one and I think Takamine makes fantastic sounding 12 strings...not so good 6 strings though.

I actually pitted this 12 string against a top of the line Guild 12 and it absolutly held it's own and had more depth and tone than any Taylor 12 I've played.

Being maple however is going to make it a tad brighter sounding than mahogany you may or may not like that. I can clearly hear the difference but it's fine to my ears.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairfan
I am a big Ovation fan and don't understand the bashing they take though the bowl rubbing on the belly and the sliding off the leg are legitamite.

With that said, the LX series of USA Ovations sound great plugged and unplugged and they have come out with some sort of body hugging deep contour bowl that may become the standard. Can't find them in any stores I've been in though.

HOWEVER...I have never heard a 12 string Ovation I have liked..even their top of the line. So I would in all honesty avoid an Ovation 12 string no matter your price range.

For a little more than what you are thinking Takamine makes a EG523SC12. Basically a maple jumbo body with tons of abalone, 12 strings, stays in tune, plays great and sounds fantastic plugged or unplugged...my friend has one and I think Takamine makes fantastic sounding 12 strings...not so good 6 strings though.

I actually pitted this 12 string against a top of the line Guild 12 and it absolutly held it's own and had more depth and tone than any Taylor 12 I've played.

Being maple however is going to make it a tad brighter sounding than mahogany you may or may not like that. I can clearly hear the difference but it's fine to my ears.
Ditto for the most part. Adamas 12 strings sound good but are well out of your price range. Other than that I haven't heard or owned an Ovation 12 string that sounded very good acoustically and that includes my Custom Legend.....the first black one they ever made.

For a new instrument I'd be looking at a Seagull, but you'll get more bang for you buck with a used guitar. I'd look at '70's and early '80's Takamines, Alvarez-Yairi and Yamaha.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:09 AM

For a long while I was a big fan of Ovation guitars. I have owned many different models, even an applause model. After years of owning a Custom Legend that sounded great, a friends prediction came true: I began to yearn for the sound of an all-wood guitar. Even though there are some ovations that sound great, there is a difference with an all-wood guitar.

As far as 12-strings are concerned, look at and play many. You can find some real gems even in some lower end models. The local music store once had an inexpensive Alvarez 12-string dread that had a tone that was just amazing!! None of the similar models sounded that good, but that particular one did!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:56 PM
AGF Bouncer

I've got an Applause that was an xmas present yeaaaars ago, so I've hung on to it.

No idea on the model number. All in all, it's a piece of junk. Doesn't stay in tune at standard pitch (or intonate properly for that matter). It stays in tune okay with heavier strings tuned really low (around C), but that's about it.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Angry Please READ THE TOPIC before offering advice!

With all due respect to people's opinions, this has nothing to do with Ovation or Adamas. I don't have a problem with the regular Ovation or Adamas line, in terms of sound, appearance, or playability.
The poster was asking about the quality of an Applause. Personally, I had mine for 13 years years, cracked top, worn-out frets, and all.
I got rid of my Applause simply because it had become unplayable and was beyond repair. To those who think that I'm bashing Ovations for certain reasons, I do wish that they would have had a chance of playing mine before suggesting that I'm not a Ovation "fan"...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 04-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Are They Easy To Play

Guys..
I think the Applause series of Ovations are kind of out of the question right now..
I need an easy to play 12 string.. That's really my top priority.

A friend of mine suggested a Yamaha APX-9 12, I've actually played this guitar and it was really nice. And had a fairly thin neck for a twelver.

Any other votes for this one??

Taylor 314CE
Old 04-29-2005, 02:56 PM

Charles Johnson of Mandolin World Headquarters once told me that the best sounding and durable (ie; neck troubke) 12 string guitars in the world are the older model jumbo Guilds and newer jumbo Taylors 12 strings.

And THAT dude KNOWS his acoustic instruments. I have never owned a 12 string but you can bet if I ever do it will be a Guild or Taylor. I trust his judgement.

2002 Taylor 810e
1996 Flatiron Festival F
1906 Friedman Bros. fiddle
Yamaha AW16G
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion