The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2015, 12:49 PM

Default First Paid Gig

I've done a bunch of open mics and been invited to do a 45 min set at a pool hall with a split of the door. It's a great first gig opportunity. Just wondering what songs people would suggest for a venue like this. I'm mostly a jack johnson, bob marley, coldplay type of guy but I can learn other stuff.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2015, 01:05 PM

Depends on the average age of the crowd but the bottom line is if it's mid to up tempo and it's been on the radio, typical bar customers will probably like it. With a 45 minute set, I'd stay away from more than one, MAYBE two slower songs, especially if you wanna be invited back.

When you're doing a typical bar gig as hired entertainment and you don't have a following, well known up tempo covers are the name of the game. The more fun people are having, the longer they stay, the more they drink, the more money the bar owner makes, the more tips the bartenders get, and the more the bar owner and employees want you back.

Not to mention YOU'LL probably enjoy it more as the performer if everyone likes what they hear and are having a good time.

Last edited by Play; 04-28-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
Depends on the average age of the crowd but the bottom line is if it's mid to up tempo and it's been on the radio, typical bar customers will probably like it. With a 45 minute set, I'd stay away from more than one, MAYBE two slower songs, especially if you wanna be invited back.

When you're doing a typical bar gig as hired entertainment and you don't have a following, well known up tempo covers are the name of the game. The more fun people are having, the longer they stay, the more they drink, the more money the bar owner makes, the more tips the bartenders get, and the more the bar owner and employees want you back.

Not to mention YOU'LL probably enjoy it more as the performer if everyone likes what they hear and are having a good time.
Yeah - This is all true. While I enjoy playing slow, fingerpicked tunes at home - they don't translate well for crowds that are having fun so home is where they mostly stay.

Congrats on your first paid gig and good luck.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-28-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Not gonna get much better advice than this.

Congrats and good luck!
Old 04-28-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80guitarguy View Post
I've done a bunch of open mics and been invited to do a 45 min set at a pool hall with a split of the door. It's a great first gig opportunity. Just wondering what songs people would suggest for a venue like this. I'm mostly a jack johnson, bob marley, coldplay type of guy but I can learn other stuff.

Thanks!
Congratulations on your first paid gig! The person that hired you liked what you were doing at the open mic, so if you know which open mic they heard you at I'd be sure to include the songs that won you the gig. I'd include other songs of similar genre. For a 45 minute set I would play two 20 minute blocks with 5-7 songs in each block. Take a 5 minute break in the middle. If you feel comfortable doing so consider taking a few request during the break for the second part of your set.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 04-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Have to agree with the up tempo suggestion. Whenever I hear someone playing a "ballad", usually original, I turn my attention to the exit.

Teacher/mentor - Richard Gilewitz

Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 12 String
Beneteau OMC -13
Simon Fay OM
Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 6 String
Old 04-28-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Yeah - This is all true. While I enjoy playing slow, fingerpicked tunes at home - they don't translate well for crowds that are having fun so home is where they mostly stay.
Ha! This is why we "Folkie" types don't make any money playing music. We play "listening rooms." And, mostly, the people listen. Folk audiences usually don't spend any money either. ;-)

Have fun! This was all good advice.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:

This here!! And NO FREEBIRD!! Just kidding.. (sort of)

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80guitarguy View Post

Thanks!
Neil Young
James Taylor
Jimmy Buffett
Old 04-28-2015, 02:21 PM

people pay me NOT to play!

Old 04-28-2015, 02:32 PM

Good advice above.

And if you want folks to smile, Buddy Holly tunes will do that every time regardless of the demographics.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the great advice! Definitely have to agree with all of it. Even if I don't end up doing this gig, cause I've only got a month to prep, I'll start adding some more tunes to my set list so I can do more of these shows in the future.

Cheers
Old 04-28-2015, 03:45 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Ha! This is why we "Folkie" types don't make any money playing music. We play "listening rooms." And, mostly, the people listen. Folk audiences usually don't spend any money either. ;-)

Have fun! This was all good advice.
That's why folk rhymes with broke.......

We usually do "Hurt" and "Simple man" in two, 50-55 minute sets. Usually well received but that's about it.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Just remember that most audiences have no desire to be "educated" on good music. Play stuff they can sing along to and they'll be happy.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion