The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Smile Installing a removable soundhole pickup

O.K Guys,I'm installing a fishman rare earth humbucker in my acoustic guitar.The pickup will have a mini plug and the jack will be inside the soundhole wired into the endpin jack.My question is how and where is the best place to attach the mini jack wire inside the guitar so that it is easily accessable and doesn't rattle around when the pickup is removed.My guess is that a lot of players have ran into this situation.I have several acoustics and I like to experiment...........Isn't that half the fun?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:25 PM

If it's long enough, run it along the side. Only use as few clips as possible. Avoid running along the top. Personally, I let 'em hang unless they rattle, but that's never been the case with my Baggs M1A.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:53 PM

I've had both a Baggs M1A and, before that, a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker. In both cases, I never took it out. I just didn't find that it altered the acoustic sound in any way I really noticed. I guess if you were going to try to switch it between guitars (both wired to the endpin) it might make sense.

I know that's not really an answer to your question. The thing is, I'm not sure how you could have a wire in there that wasn't dangling (at least some portion of it, without actually having a clip that you placed the end (or near the end) of it in. If you did that along the side, that means you'd have to really loosen the strings to put the end in the clip AND to fish it out. If you didn't want to deal with the string loosening, it would have to be clipped to the top near the soundhole, which I don't recommend.

Really, though, I've found that, even when hanging loose, it only rattled around when I was moving the guitar around, taking it out of the case, etc...it wasn't an issue while playing.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:43 AM

I use an M1 in my my guitar, and to keep the jack from rattling around when not in use, I use self-adhiesive Velcro.

I cut a slim strip of the hook portion of the Velcro and stuck it on the upper inside of the guitar between the bouts. Then I cut two slim pieces of the fuzzy material, and wrapped one around the plastic part of the plug, and the other piece further down the wire to keep it in place.

When I remove the pick up I simply stick the jack on to the Velcro to keep it in place. Works like a charm. In fact this method seems to be better than the clips for holding the wiring harness in place included with most pickups.

Hope this is somewhat clear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification