The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Default Taylor beginner model

Is there really a good Taylor for a beginner?

My assumption based on my research is that the answer is "no, there are better options for a first (inexpensive) guitar".

To be clear, I'm just starting out, and I'm currently borrowing someones guitar. I don't have a style yet, I don't favor one thing over another. I just like the Taylor culture and offerings at the higher end, and I found this forum... My goal is to get good enough that I can justify spending more than 1k on a guitar, but for now, it just doesn't seem like a good idea, so I'm looking for something more reasonable.

I noticed the Taylor 110 appears to be close to what I would consider entry level pricing, but based on my initial research, the entry level isn't really where Taylor shines.

So my question again is - Does Taylor truly make a good beginner guitar? Can I find something in the sub 500 range (even used) that would be a good idea for me, or should I stick with something more like a Seagull S6, which is listed all over the web as a great beginner guitar for the money.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Your best bet is to compare a 100 series guitars to other guitars in the same price range. Ultimately it boils down to personal preference. The quality and consistency of a 100 series Taylor is hard to beat though.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM

My personal opinion is that a Taylor 114 would better serve a beginner than a 110. The 114 is smaller, making it more comfortable to hold. It also uses light-gauge strings, making it more comfortable to play. It's already painful enough for a beginner to learn to play the guitar without having to deal with a large guitar body and medium-gauge strings.

Taylor's price list shows a 114 (w/o electronics or cutaway) for $878, and I imagine you can get it cheaper than that from your local dealer. I think this is a very reasonable price for a very good starter guitar that will likely carry you all the way through your guitar-playing growth until you're ready to spring for an advanced-level guitar.

- '21 Goodall GC redwood/Macassar ebony
- '17 Taylor K14-BE
- '21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
- '18 Taylor 114ce
- '15 Martin uke
Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM

If you have the money and the desire, ANY good guitar, regardless of how expensive it is, can be a "beginner" guitar. You really don't have to play well to buy a more expensive guitar, you just have to be able to pay for it. True, there are a few self-appointed judges who sneer at beginners with nice guitars, but their sneers mean something only to those who pay attention to them. Most of us don't.

Yes the Taylor 110 or 114 would be a very nice beginner guitar, one that you could hang onto for years and not feel like you have to outgrow. I've recommended the 114 over the 110 to several beginners for the same reasons Dennis mentioned, though that doesn't mean I dislike the 110.

Personally, though I like the Taylor neck feel and tone, if I were beginning again I probably would do what Chalz said and audition a lot of guitars, ignoring what's on the headstock. If possible, I'd take a trusted, guitar playing friend along - some sales associates are better informed and more trustworthy than others.

If I were beginning again and know what I know now, I'd be scanning the AGF Classifieds for a previously loved guitar. Our folks are pretty knowledgeable, so you're not likely to find a steal of a deal, but buying used can make your beginner guitar dollar go a lot further. Yes, there can be an element of risk, since this forum doesn't get involved in any way with the deals that originate here. But I'd trust sellers here more than I would on eBay. If I could afford the difference, I'd buy new from one of our forum Sponsor dealers. Good folks to deal with, with great prices and super service.

cotten
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Taylor are terrible at the entry level. You can get a Seagull SWS guitar meaning it's solid wood. Top, sides and back for around $790.00. Taylors 100's are solid tops with plywood back and sides made in Mexico.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Give the Big Baby Taylor a whirl! They are regularly available used for under $300. It's a dreadnought shape but in a size that approximates a 000/OM, so it's comfy. It has the standard scale length and sounds loud and full. It's strung with light gauge strings and, most importantly, it's got that great playability with the factory setup that is very important to a beginner. Yeah, it's a laminated back/sides but the sound belies that. Solid Sitka top, ebony fingerboard & bridge, and a really great feeling neck (with no heel!). Try one and see what you think - I love mine... even if it is just my "beater" guitar.

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...
Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 PM

THE big Baby is perfect for ya. I like Seagulls dont get me wrong but as far as sound goes, if your a Taylor fan, go with an entry Taylor. The notion that they dont make a good entry level is not true at all. The fact is, an entry level Taylor is not entry level at all.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME

Last edited by magazine; 07-14-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbazil View Post
Taylor are terrible at the entry level. You can get a Seagull SWS guitar meaning it's solid wood. Top, sides and back for around $790.00. Taylors 100's are solid tops with plywood back and sides made in Mexico.
before I would do this I would go another $100 to $150 depening on dealer and get a Taylor DN3 and have IMO a much better guitar yet.

110s for the money are great. Amnd for entry level easier to take care of too with Laminated Back and sides are not a finicky to climate. I have played some that sounded very nice and big and loud. For only $50 more than a GS mini.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:35 PM

...or a used Taylor 314ce (or GA3), which is one of my very favorite guitars. 3 series Taylors are outstanding values if you like the Taylor sound.

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 PM

A Taylor GS Mini would be easy on the fingers with its short scale length ..
A toneful solid lil instrument with the Taylor NT neck joint..
I think it would make a great beginners guitar that you might want to keep as your Guitar Acquisition Syndrome developes ..

Last edited by Rollie; 07-15-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:02 PM

In mho the Yamaha fg730 makes a great beginner guitar. Sounds easily as good as a 110 if not better. I have owned both so I know what i am talking about. Plus you can get a used fg730 for around $200 used or $300 new!

I wouldn't say the 110 is a bad guitar but ithere is def better out there for $700-800 ESP used.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman9270 View Post
In mho the Yamaha fg730 makes a great beginner guitar. Sounds easily as good as a 110 if not better. I have owned both so I know what i am talking about. Plus you can get a used fg730 for around $200 used or $300 new!

I wouldn't say the 110 is a bad guitar but ithere is def better out there for $700-800 ESP used.
yes but $700 - $800 is 150 to 250 more than a 110 which can be had easily for $550 or a few bucks less.

I have also played a Yamaha FG730. one a few years back plays nice and sounded nice but lately the ones I have played have all had horrid neck angles which makes the action high and to lower it means shaving the saddle to a low height which will not allow for future when the body moves. The recent 110s I have played were all much louder and bigger sounding than the Yamaha.

As noted though the Yamaha can be bought for $300 new but does not include any kind of case so add another $80 to the price. Also the Taylor would have a better resale and trade value than the Yamaha. Of the recent of the two models I have played I would spend the extra on the 110 in a heart beat.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 PM

There's alot of great advice that has already been given, for you to consider. My $.02 worth is to consider a GS Mini for $499 (cheaper if you get a good used one). They are Taylor quality, sound great, are fun to play, are smaller for learning on, and make wonderful travel guitars (so you have no excuse for not taking your guitar with you to practice ). Alot of folks around here speak highly of them (as do I). I used to teach guitar and would not hesitate to recommend the GS Mini as a starter guitar. Good luck and welcome to the guitar world.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 PM

+1 on the big baby.. especially if you get a used one for under $300.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisG View Post
My personal opinion is that a Taylor 114 would better serve a beginner than a 110.
Crap, I meant the 114... Was looking around and hit the wrong numbers. I agree, the 114 is what I would consider.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion