The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Default In now a good time to learn about Keys and chord progressions etc ?

While I am slowly but steadily improving at the guitar, I am really aware that I do not understand the first thing about music theory as far as things like chord progressions and keys are concerned. While I know the "pattern" on the fretboard for a couple of the more common scales I have no idea how to apply them to my playing. If I was doodling around with C and Am for instance, I wouldn't necessarily know what chords would sound "right" with them and which would sound horrible.

As it stands I am reasonably competent on open chords, some bar chords and can play quite a few songs quite well.

My question is when should I start to learn about what musical keys, chord progressions etc are or should I just carry on a while longer as I am. If anyone can recommend a good but not overly complex book covering things like chord progressions and keys I'd be really grateful.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

NOW is a great time to start, Tuff Gong! All that will happen is appreciation and knowledge of the music you enjoy playing... certainly worth the effort!

I don't have any books to recommend, but learning about modern diatonic theory has been one of the major aspects for improvement in my playing and writing, let alone the understanding of "why does this work?" in so many songs I love.

I was fortunate to receive an intense tutoring by a band mate who had just graduated from the Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA. This was back in the mid-late 70's, and I use the knowledge I gained from Martin Headman, everyday. At the same time, per Marty's teaching, I began playing scales with a metronome - both maddening and enlightening, at the same time.

Whether you choose to learn scales and practise them is up to you... but I would heartily endorse learning a bit of theory and harmony, at least modern diatonic theory (as opposed to classical theory)...

You are on the right track - go on after it!

John Seth Sherman
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I agree... now is a great time. Learning theory will improve your play significantly... you'll understand how to build chords and how they fit together into progressions. You've already got the basics. I'm sure there are numerous books or web sites to help. Learn how to read music, the fretboard, scales, keys, etc. And good luck!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Similar me, just googled a few and ordered a couple. Ive read some, none really grabbed. Ill let you know by the end of the week.

Im guessing you are ..patient, good, consistent tone..maybe analytical.

Maybe I transpose myself.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the advice guys and I'd be really interested in your first impressions of the books you've ordered Andy.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Tuff Gong,

Fretboard Knowledge (every note, every fret)

Major Scales and their Harmony (what notes are in the scales and how they stack up to form chords that belong to a "key.")

Chord Building (how to make any chord from a "formula")

In that order. When you know this stuff you know more than most guitar players--and you'll be liberated from the box and pattern!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Gong View Post
My question is when should I start to learn about what musical keys, chord progressions etc are or should I just carry on a while longer as I am. If anyone can recommend a good but not overly complex book covering things like chord progressions and keys I'd be really grateful.
Now is a good time. You don't need a book. Here is free information...

Overall site:
http://musiced.about.com/

Major and minor scales, triads:
http://musiced.about.com/od/beginner...onicTraids.htm

There is also http://guitar.about.com/
Old 03-22-2011, 07:22 AM

I highly suggest using the circle of fourths/fifths for learning the major scales, so you're only adding 1 sharp or flat at a time.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 AM

This is not lined up properly, obviously. But I think you can get the gist of it and do the alignment. These are the major and minor scales, and the chords in them in their orders.

How to remember the order? Start with C. G is 5 degrees (notes) from C. D is 5 degrees (notes) from G. Now notice that D is down 2 scales from G and 5 degrees from G. Nice little pattern.

How to remember the order of the sharps? Look at the major scales, the 7th note... Father Charles Goes Downtown And Eats.

How to remember the minor scales? The minor scale is the 6th degree of a major scale. So A minor is the 6th degree of C major. Notice how C major is CDEFGAB, and A minor is ABCDEFG

Natural Major Scales
I ii iii IV V vi vii
Maj m m Maj Maj m 1/2 Dim.
..w w h w w w
C D E F G A B
G A B C D E F#
D E F# G A B C#
A B C# D E F# G#
E F# G# A B C# D#
B C# D# E F# G# A#
F# G# A# B C# D# E#
F G A Bb C D E
Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb F G Ab Bb C D
Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C

Relative Natural Minor Scales
i ii III iv v VI VII

m 1/2 Dim. Maj m m Maj Maj
..w h w w h w
A B C D E F G
E F# G A B C D
B C# D E F# G A
F# G# A B C# D E
C# D# E F# G# A B
G# A# B C# D# E F#
D# E# F# G# A# B C#
D E F G A Bb C
G A Bb C D Eb F
C D Eb F G Ab Bb
F G Ab Bb C Db Eb
Bb C Db Eb F Gb Ab
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I highly suggest using the circle of fourths/fifths for learning the major scales, so you're only adding 1 sharp or flat at a time.
Yes indeed. And here it is, for our viewing pleasure. Each "hour" (it does look like a clock) shows the major and minor keys going in order clockwise.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 AM

FWIW I picked up 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory' at a used book store. It is not guitar specific (but then neither is music theory), but I found it very helpful and well worth the ten bucks I paid. I liked this one because it covered scales, key signatures and chord progressions in the same text.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

Whether you choose to learn scales and practise them is up to you... but I would heartily endorse learning a bit of theory and harmony, at least modern diatonic theory (as opposed to classical theory)...
Could you say how you distinguish modern diatonic theory from classical theory?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Gong View Post
While I am slowly but steadily improving at the guitar, I am really aware that I do not understand the first thing about music theory as far as things like chord progressions and keys are concerned. While I know the "pattern" on the fretboard for a couple of the more common scales I have no idea how to apply them to my playing. If I was doodling around with C and Am for instance, I wouldn't necessarily know what chords would sound "right" with them and which would sound horrible.

As it stands I am reasonably competent on open chords, some bar chords and can play quite a few songs quite well.

Your question reminds me of the reply I received when I asked the owner of a nursery when is the best time to plant a tree.

The answer: "The best time was 10 years ago. The second best time is right now."

I haven't read the other replies yet, but I'll bet that Larry, Howard and others have good suggestions regarding a book (and perhaps finding a good teacher, just in case the best available books leave a bit too much to the imagination.)

BTW I've always believed that it's easier to learn scales and chords on the piano and then apply that knowledge to the guitar. I wonder whether any of the experienced teachers here agree.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-22-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: BTW...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Without a doubt, BBD--All music theory makes a heck of a lot more sense on the piano.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Location: Somewhere along old Route 66...with my turn signal still blinking...

I was very happy with Edly's Music Theory for Practical People...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write