The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 PM

Default 70s Yairi GL-600 Parlor Classical

Was at Guitar Center nosing around the classical room saturday and saw something I didn't expect to--a 1970s Yairi parlor sized classical guitar. I played it and was surprised by the volume and full tone produced by the relatively small body. The thing I really liked about it was the neck--much smaller than a standard classical neck. I'd guess it was around 1 3/4 inch. This combined with the low action made it a dream to play. It was like getting the tonal benefits of a nylon string guitar without the baseball bat neck (my hands aren't that big.)

I ended up buying it, but due to Florida state laws regarding resale of used items, I have to wait a month to pick it up....agony of agonies! Anyways, just thought I'd share this with fellow nylon fans. You never know what will turn up used at Guitar Center during a recession I guess!

If any of you have any experience or knowledge regarding these guitars please share, as there doesn't seem to be much about them online.

Last edited by existence; 08-16-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Sounds wonderful!

Love to see some photos?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Well, I haven't picked it up yet, as I have to wait a month due to the aforementioned state law. However, here's a link to some pictures of a guitar that is identical:

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-...Size-Classical
Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Nice score. Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 PM

I have several Yairis ... but they`re S Yairis and date from 1961 to 1971. All are fabulous players and the `71 looks to me like it was probably the most expensive judging by the wood and craftsmanship and it is outstanding. I have lots of old IJ nylon strings from various makers and a few have the same streaked rosewood seen in the linked pics, seems it was popular.
Once you get the guitar post pics of the label and I`ll see if theres a date on it...some of my Yairis have the hand made washi labels with the year written in Japanese characters. You may find some numbers on the neck block if you look through the sound hole, up where the neck joins the body.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the information, I will post pics when I get the guitar.

I know nothing at all about Yairis, except that it's a famous Japanese name and that there seems to now be some affilliation with Alvarez. I didn't even know about the "K" and "S" distinction you mentioned. I'll have to do some reading on this!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Nice guitar. What I'm really concerned with here is the state law that forces a customer to wait a month before being able to take home a used item they purchased from a store... I've never heard of such a thing, and can't imagine why anything like that would be enforced (I'm not doubting that it's true. I'm just puzzled at its existence & purpose). Does anyone have anything on that (a link or something) to shed some light on that very strange practice?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Apparently the law exists in order to give law enforcement a chance to recover stolen goods before they can be resold (think pawn shops.) So if it turns out the guitar I just bought was stolen, and the cops turn up at Guitar Center before my pickup date, I'll be out of luck (though I assume I'd get my money back.)

I have no information with regards to the efficacy of the law. I didn't even know it existed until I purchased the guitar and was told I'd have to wait a month to take it home.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical