The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Default Can I Plug Headphones Straight into my Endpin Jack?

Hi there. How can I get sound if I plug headphones straight into the endpin jack of my guitar?
Why doesn't it work? Does it make any difference if the pickup is active or passive? Do I need a headphone amp, or would a typical endpin preamp handle it?
There are a couple of reasons why I'd like to try it. The main one would be to see if it would work as an unobtrusive monitor in one ear when playing acoustically with a bunch of other instruments, as I find it difficult to play my best when I can't hear myself very well.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Thumbs up

Powered headphones (such as those sold for private rehearsing) will allow you to do this, actually, or you can plug into a practice amp that has a "headphone out" jack...generally, plugging in headphones turns off the amp's speaker.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestion about powered headphones, I'll check those out.

Just to clarify, I'd like to do this with an acoustic guitar, without using an amp (ie an unamplified situation where none of the instruments is amplified). Ideally using no additional gear, or things that I might otherwise use anyway such as an endpin preamp if that would work.

Cheers
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM

The short answer is no, your typical pickup isn't going to be able to drive a set of headphones...you might look into something like this: http://www.voxamps.com/us/amplug/

Last edited by walternewton; 10-22-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 PM

I can do this with my Taylor 414ce with the ES with just regular headphones..don't ask me how, all I know is that I can
'05 Takamine G320 (beach/beater guitar)
'03 Gibson Les Paul standard plus Desert Burst
ESP bass
Yamaha APX-700
Johnson Madolin
Old 10-23-2009, 05:40 AM

Just wondering what the advantage is of playing an acoustic through headphones. I would never think of doing that.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Try it. The clarity and fullness of sound is great.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Just wondering what the advantage is of playing an acoustic through headphones. I would never think of doing that.
My explanation was pretty poor! I sometimes play together with up to a dozen players of various instruments (all unamplified and some louder than a guitar). I can be heard OK by the others, but I'd like to be able to hear myself better. (It's not socially acceptable for me to be amplified in this circumstance.)

I considered drilling a soundport, but I'm reluctant to do that because it's a reasonably valuable instrument and I like the sound of the guitar the way it is.

So I thought perhaps I could plug headphones into my endpin jack, and run one side of some earbuds unobtrusively into one ear, while still being able to hear everyone else with the other ear. That way I could maintain the appearance of being unamplified while being able to hear myself from my pickup.
Cheers
Old 10-23-2009, 12:39 PM

You can try a cheap effects pedal like the Pocket Pod or the Behringer X, and plug your headphones into the output jack. I like to do that sometimes so I can better concentrate on what I'm playing. Plus, it's fun to mess around with the effects and it can make practice a little more intesting.
Taylor GA3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification