The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2022, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Stringjoy Strings?

Has anyone tried these?
https://stringjoy.com/shop/strings/acoustic/
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-24-2022, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Ive tried the set of 12s, meh. They were ok on my Hummingbird. Got a set on my J-35 at the moment and they do sound good. For the price I'd rather have DR. Sunbeams or Martin PB Lights.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:15 PM

I tried them as a way to get custom string packs without a minimum order. They were very expensive and the wound strings had an oddly rough texture. I went back to buying D'Addario singles.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Stringjoy Strings?

I used them for several years and consider them among the very best strings I’ve ever found. I use the 12s, regular light gauge. Because of a rewards program, I kept the insert cards for a while so I can count them. I used 70 sets over the last 3 years.
One of the best features is their freshness; I think they are a week or two old when they arrive. I find them beefier and stronger than most strings. Never had a rusty one in the pack, and they sound and feel great and last longer than any other uncoated ones.
They arrive in about 3 days, no shipping charges ever.
Lately I’ve been enjoying round core strings, so I’ve been using DR Sunbeams and a couple others. Daddario regulars (J16?) are their only equal in terms of reliable freshness and quality.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:44 PM

I've tried them..they are very good but no better
Than D'Addario or DR or GHS.
It's higher price so I did not continue them.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for your views and information about Stringjoy strings.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-25-2022, 12:44 PM

I put a set of Stringjoy's new coated Foxwoods 12/54's on my Boucher SG-41-G in early March and have found they both feel and sound notably better than my previous favorites, D'Addario XS 12/53's.

The XS's sure do last for me (at least 4-6 months). I won't know for some time how long the Foxwoods will last, but I'm absolutely enjoying them so far. In comparison, the XS's now feel slippery and almost greasy compared to the Foxwoods. They string tension also feels very good on my fingers.

Stringjoy's uncoated strings cost substantially more than competing uncoateds, so I've avoided them. However, the coated Foxwoods are priced at $17.90 per set putting them right on par with D'Adddario XS and Elixers. I've subsequently installed them on three more acoustics. If they end up lasting well, this will definitely become my new string set of choice.

Jeremy Sheppard sure likes the Foxwood's, though less keen on the uncoateds (his Foxwood review begins at the 8:05 sec mark of this video). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBrfEXLSAUo&t=612s

I suggest you give them a go.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Dan. Good info.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Dan, how's the "squeak factor" with the Foxwood Strings?
Old 04-26-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Dan, how's the "squeak factor" with the Foxwood Strings?
Still some squeak present, Karen, but very similar to what I hear with D'Addario XS's in that regard.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:20 AM

I'm using a set of their Naturals on my Maton currently and rather like them. They do have a...natural...sound for lack of a better word. Not excessively zingy nor dark, kinda woody sounding in the bass strings which I like, and they're lasting me a while. I play daily but without gigging in the covid era, my strings usually last a bit but these still seem very new.

I ordered a set of their Foxwoods to test them out as well as a custom gauge for Open G on my old Guild.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-26-2022, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Dan for the "squeak factor" answer.

Thanks Mr ErikJ for you thoughts about the stringjoy strings.

I sent Stringjoy an email asking if they do custom gauges with Foxwood strings. They said not at this time, but they were hoping to in the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion