The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 PM

Default I've been playing now for nearly 8 years and I still hate restringing.

I've been playing for a few years and I have to tell you... I've only known how to PROPERLY re-string a guitar for about half as long as I've been playing guitar.

Yet I dread any time I have to change strings. I'm paranoid about scratching the headstock. Worried about losing a bridge pin. Paranoid that one of the strings is going to snap and lacerate my jugular, causing me to bleed to death all over my fine acoustic guitar. :P Worried that the sudden shift and tension is going to cause buzzing and whatnot that wasn't there before.

I just hate it. I love the results. Nothing is more satisfying than putting a set of DR Sunbeams on a guitar and knowing that you'll be in fresh string bliss for the next few weeks.

I always feel like I've accomplished something after changing strings on a guitar. Like how I feel after weeding or mowing the lawn.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 PM

Yeah -- I know how you feel! I hate it, too. I've been playing guitar and changing strings on them since LBJ was president, and I still find every excuse I can to put off changing strings... until they're so dead they're intolerable.
It's a time-consuming and messy process... especially when you give your fingers a puncture wound which bleeds on your guitar.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayloway View Post
I've been playing for a few years and I have to tell you... I've only known how to PROPERLY re-string a guitar for about half as long as I've been playing guitar.

Yet I dread any time I have to change strings. I'm paranoid about scratching the headstock. Worried about losing a bridge pin. Paranoid that one of the strings is going to snap and lacerate my jugular, causing me to bleed to death all over my fine acoustic guitar. :P Worried that the sudden shift and tension is going to cause buzzing and whatnot that wasn't there before.

I just hate it. I love the results. Nothing is more satisfying than putting a set of DR Sunbeams on a guitar and knowing that you'll be in fresh string bliss for the next few weeks.

I always feel like I've accomplished something after changing strings on a guitar. Like how I feel after weeding or mowing the lawn.
Hi T-o-way…

I don't use the process you outline, but a simple single wrap above and several wraps below the hole in the shaft (2 below on the bass strings, 4 below on strings three & four, and 6 or more on the trebles)

No 'locking' the string because they don't slip with simple wraps without 'running over them' and then when removing them they are far less likely to puncture fingertips.

I can change them in 5 minutes if I really have to sitting in a chair (not at a bench) but usually just take about 10 minutes during the beginning of a lesson while the student is playing me some of their etudes, exercises, scales and assignments to string one up.

Since I simplified the process I actually kind of enjoy it (unless it's a slot head).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 PM

I don't mind restringing - I hate spending money on strings. I'm cheap.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 PM

I change my strings on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and don't mind at all. I usually spend about 30 minutes doing it because I take my time and clean the fretboard, break the strings in, etc. I just watch an episode of The Simpsons or something else while I'm doing it and then I'm done. Actually if I could get a job just restringing guitars all day long that would be fine with me, given that I made at least $25 a guitar!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Since there is nothing any of us can do about the unavoidable need to change strings, I try a) not to think about it and b) reward myself by listening to music, or talking with friends, or watching part of a movie to distract myself from the dreaded chore, until I am ready to tune!!!! It really helps!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:40 PM

I know some guitarist that will take there guitar to the local music shop and have someone change there strings for them rather than do it themselves.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 PM

And I know some guitarists that take their guitar into the music shop to get it tuned.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 PM

I've gotten very good at tuning by ear. Don't mind tuning at all unless the guitar has issues that cause it to have difficulty staying in tune...
Old 07-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Two things have helped me with restringing guitars.

The most important was my purchasing an Ernie Ball battery powered string winder: http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/erbapobapost.html When I first saw these for sale, I wondered why anyone would need one. Then I watched one in use and realized how much more control a person has with this powered string winder. The control helps keep a person from nicking up the headstock.

The 2nd thing that helps me is wearing some very lightly powered (1.25X magnification) reading glasses. They help me see what I'm doing better and protect my eyes, just in case.

The string winder is by far the biggest help.

Regards, Glenn
Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
And I know some guitarists that take their guitar into the music shop to get it tuned.
Seriously? Wouldn't this be a daily trip?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 PM

Fortunately, I don't care for the sound of new strings.

I've been known to keep a set on for months. If I know I'm going to play out, ahead of time, I change them at least 2-3 days before, and play a lot. I hate surprise offers to play because then I have to change 'em, stretch the hell out of them and wail really hard for a while to deaden them up enough for me.

It's so much less a pain with the locking tuners on my Strat. I can change a set of strings in 5 minutes. That's including time to stretch them out a bit. The fact that it's easier doesn't matter though. If I'm just jammin' they'll stay on for a month easy before I think of changing them.

A month's about average for both guitars.

'80 ish Yamaha FG 331
'09 Burchette Sloped D
'08 Strat
Old 07-16-2011, 01:20 AM

Thrillhouse; Amazing, but true. Went in before gigs.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:22 AM
happiness

I hate it, I just find it a real chore! I do like the result, though.

Fliss
Old 07-16-2011, 01:44 AM

yup, I hate it. I also love the result though. If Im playing out I always change strings. But, when im just jammin at home, man i am lazy about changing them. I basically leave them on till they break. ITs a shame bc I know im missing out on that new string tone. Its a real struggle being a guitar player

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion