The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 AM

Default Presonus USB/ Studio One 3 and old person (me)

Hey everyone,

I've just tried to set this system up this weekend and can not get it to work.

I bought a refurb Dell Laptop that I made sure exceeded all the requirements and dedicated it to the job.

So I try to record and I get a signal, it looks like its recording for about 10 seconds then starts to flake out and flashes and jumps around.

I can not get the metronome to work or get any play back. Nothing in the headphones except the mic input.

I'll be calling Presonus today but I have read stuff like turning off the internet connection and making sure you don't have some sleep mode on...

But shouldn't this stuff be easier ? I feel like I'm missing something..

Any thoughts ?

Thank you.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 AM

I'm not familiar with Studio 1, but assume you downloaded the correct Presonus drivers, and have it selected as the audio input and output device in S1?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-25-2016, 10:26 AM

Yes, I even un-installed and re-installed.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:10 AM

"...then starts to flake out and flashes and jumps around"

Can you explain that some more?

Jim
Old 01-25-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
"...then starts to flake out and flashes and jumps around"

Can you explain that some more?

Jim
I'll try,

I can see the the track recording the sound. and for about 10 seconds all looks normal, then the track fickers and flashes and the time becomes jumbled. I see numbers jumping around .. 13.2 then 14.1 then 13.6, then 14.7 and so on as the track moves along...

Thanks
Old 01-25-2016, 05:38 PM

Sounds like your system's crashing to me. Please keep us apprised re: response from Presonus.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 PM
Cocobologist

I've been using Studio One for about five years now, and have never had an issue like the one you're describing. Frankly, I've never had any issues at all with it -- It's worked flawlessly using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface and an iMac.

A couple things to check -- do you have the audio interface device sync set to internal? You'll need to do that unless you have an external reference clock.

You may also want to check out the Presonus forum to see if there's something there to help you out: https://forums.presonus.com/index.php

Good luck!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 01-26-2016, 06:33 AM

Thanks, I'll check those things.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:46 AM

If it's any consolation, I feel your pain.

On my journey onward and upward in my audio adventures I went through the same type of learning curve that you're going through in order to do computer-based recording. Unfortunately, there are often no easy answers, especially when it comes to running Windows-based stuff on a PC or laptop.

It seems that more people have an easier experience with it than many years ago, but it still isn't without glitches, as you now know. I finally got my PC issues worked out, but not before going through all the "optimization for audio recording" suggestions that I could find. Little stuff like disabling the computer's setup to check constantly for CD insertion, buffer settings, and on and on until I realized I was dedicating a large percentage of my available time to working out problems instead of recording.

In my case one of the biggest issues ended up being the need to disable my Dell's built-in on board sound as it would conflict with my audio interface. That has to be done in the operating system start up screen before Windows loads.

My experience with refurbs directly from Dell hasn't been particularly good; my PC had to be replaced before 30 days of use. Refurbs from non-Dell suppliers might be worse. My last purchase directly from Dell was a brand spanking new laptop with all the bells and whistles that lasted just a bit over a year before it permanently blue screened. Now it's the world's most expensive door stop.

What you describe sounds more like a hardware issue as opposed to anything that "settings" can take care of, but I could be totally off-base on that.

I relate all this not to discourage you, but I have personally found it much easier to record on a stand alone recorder and dump tracks to my PC for editing. I have always experienced much better luck just doing editing on the computer; it's what it excels at and doesn't have near the issues as when I use it to record audio.

All of these headaches are precisely why I capture audio with a dedicated stand-alone (in my case a Zoom R-24) and edit with the computer. I have the process and other recommendations on my "Simple Homestyle Recording" page:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html

Here's a copy/paste of a section on the web page relating to my suggestion:

Quote:
Easy and successful home or small project studio recording is best accomplished using a two step process. My recommendations are to (1) record basic tracks and/or overdubs on a dedicated portable recorder and (2) transfer those tracks to a computer where it’s easy to visually edit those tracks into a finished product.

Why consider recording tracks with a dedicated device?

Simple. The actual act of PLAYING (and trying to nail a take) is difficult enough to do without having ANY concerns about software, settings, signal flow, levels, or concerns about audio "glitches" being produced during the actual recording process. It’s certainly possible to set up a computer to do audio recording, but it’s going to take dedication and time that might be better used actually recording. There’s nothing more aggravating than getting a good performance and then discovering glitches in the audio upon playback. Computers are great for editing tasks, but they are NOT friendly devices for the average beginner to physically record with.

A portable recorder does what it is designed to do very well, and that's to allow you to record without worrying about any of those things. It doesn't do e-mail, play games, constantly check for system updates, scan for viruses, check to see if there's a CD inserted, or any of the other myriad of other background tasks that can end up in unsuccessful recording attempts.

I’ll continue below with some suggestions for recorders and ideas to make project studio recording easier. All of the information presented is based on equipment that I have first-hand experience with; there are lots of other great products to choose from, but this is what works for me.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-26-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:52 AM

I leaning towards returning it and going that direction. I had a little Tascam two track but everything was kind of small and difficult to use but I'm seeing other machines like this . http://www.musiciansfriend.com/multi...-usb-interface

The computer I bought locally from a repair shop that does good work...Most likely more machine than I need but I needed one as the kids have taken over everything...

It's just for demo's and sharing writing ideas..
Old 01-26-2016, 02:32 PM

Have you tried importing a music file directly into Studio 1 and seeing if that will play back?

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 PM

I have not.

According to youtube video's and tutorials you should be able to jump right in. So in my mind something just isn't right.
Especially with the track jumping around while recording and attempting playback.

I tried disconnecting the internet last night and thought it went a little further without the jumping around thing but it still did it...I can't be sure it actually helped.

I was thinking of trying another computer.

I have not been able to get them on the line while in front of my machine yet either.

Their biz hours are mine so... I'll have to do something through their online support.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:36 PM

Just a thought. Are you using ASIO drivers or Windows stuff. I have never had much success with anything other than ASIO. Go into your preferences and change the Audio Drivers to ASIO. See if it helps. Worth a shot, before you can it.

Play What Ya Got!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:10 PM

Thanks but I think that procedure is a little above my pay grade...

I sent Presonus an email through their Support area that immediately asked for system info, with instructions I was actually able follow, that I provided ...

So I'll see...hopefully it's simple...

Thanks to All..
Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4001 View Post
Thanks but I think that procedure is a little above my pay grade...

I sent Presonus an email through their Support area that immediately asked for system info, with instructions I was actually able follow, that I provided ...

So I'll see...hopefully it's simple...

Thanks to All..
Ok, then that is probably the problem - you don't have the ASIO drivers for the Presonus selected in Studio One. Should be in the Options/Preferences area.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD