The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2023, 04:21 AM

Default Can't play a Dread anymore

I have a Martin D28 I 've had since 1972 . I just can't hold the darn thing anymore. It feels too big. And the 1 11/16 is too narrow... what am I supposed to do with a guitar I don't really find enjoyable to play anymore? I t has been with me sooo long that I'd feel horrible to sell it!!! So many memories!!! This has probably been asked before.
Old 07-27-2023, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I have a Martin D28 I 've had since 1972 . I just can't hold the darn thing anymore. It feels too big. And the 1 11/16 is too narrow... what am I supposed to do with a guitar I don't really find enjoyable to play anymore? I t has been with me sooo long that I'd feel horrible to sell it!!! So many memories!!! This has probably been asked before.
Hi, I also have a Martin - a D18 I love - but lately I have been drawn to my smaller-bodied guitars. The good news is that many folks sell GA, OM, and jumbos that look great, sound great, and are friendly to hold. Martin makes them as well, but I have a couple of Yairi folk models - beautiful sound, player-friendly, and the binding stays attached.

But I am keeping the D18, maybe saving it for the (inevitable) estate sale???
Old 07-27-2023, 06:36 AM

Do you have any children you could pass down the dread to? That would keep it in the family and provide a new life for both the guitar and player. In the mean time, get to a store and try out some 000/OM and 00 sized guitars and see if you can live without the depth of tone the dread provides.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 07-27-2023, 06:51 AM

You probably COULD play it if you either moved it to your left leg or used a strap. Anything to take some pressure off that shoulder and your left wrist. My right shoulder -- newer and older injuries -- prevents me from putting a dreadnought on my right leg. But I can still play dreads and jumbos using a strap. It takes some adaptation at first, but you catch on.

As for the 1-11/16" nut width, an option would be to put mediums on it and tune down a half step then use a capo at the first fret. The neck gets at least a little wider that way. Or sell it. It won't whimper as you take it to the pound.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Tough question.

Everything we own will one day end up in a dump or in someone else's house so I don't get real attached to things. Personally I would sell the guitar for one I could play. But I know it's not that easy for most people, so I wish you the best.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:09 AM

If you have family/kids that might one day play it, I’d hold onto it to pass down! Otherwise, I’m with SFC that I’d sell it and get one that you would enjoy!
Old 07-27-2023, 08:28 AM

When I started playing with a strap, even my Jumbo guitars feel fine.
Give a strap a try. Adjust it up high enough that the guitar isn't close to your leg.

I also started tuning down 1/2 step and then using a capo to get the guitar back to E to E tuning.
This gives the guitar a shorter scale length and lower string tension.

All of these tricks have helped me to be able to play a lot longer and more comfortable.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:37 AM

Have you tried a 000-15SM...?
Old 07-27-2023, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I had to part with a larger guitar 20 years ago so I remember the feeling! I did eventually sell it and started making new memories with a more ergonomically friendly guitar. It’s a transition but if you find the right one, you’ll be happier with your playing. Just don’t expect to get the same tone from a smaller guitar though you can get close.
After the initial grieving process, embrace the new adventure and stay open to new musical possibilities. Good luck and enjoy the search.
Best,
Jayne
Old 07-27-2023, 08:55 AM

how are you "holding" it? are you just using it on the "Sofa"

have you tried different postures?

Straps? Like a neck up strap?

I'm 66, about 5' 6" and I still play my dreads and jumbos and I find no really problems doing it.

just trying to think around this, I'd hate to see you sell it too I agree..
you'll eventually regret it

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-27-2023, 09:04 AM

Do not sell it. 50 years of memories. Buy a second smaller guitar and see how you get on with that.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:05 AM

I am in my late 50's, and I am not comfortable playing my dred while seated, at least not for very long. It is still OK if I play it standing using a strap. For me the problem is my right arm and hand - if I play sitting down it feels like I have to reach up and over the body of the guitar, with my hand dangling down. I think when I play standing the guitar hangs a bit lower relative to my arm and then it is ok.

Somebody needs to come out with a "Contour Body" dred, ala the Fender Strat!

Almost any guitar with a slightly smaller body, especially if the waist is a little narrower does the trick for me. A Taylor GA body shape is fine for sitting (for me), and of course a GS mini is even better. I currently have a Yamaha A size guitar that I like for sitting, which is a bit smaller than a GA, but I think a litter deeper.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

I bought my first three dreads in the past two years! Ergonomically, the challenge for me is my burgeoning girth. I play with a strap sitting down, and don’t seem to have any other difficulties. I wish you luck with yours.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 07-27-2023, 12:56 PM

I'm 73 next month and traded my D-28 for a CEO-7 and some money.

Reason was, I loved the D-28 sound but it was getting painful to play on my plucking hand's shoulder.

I'm left with the new CEO-7 (00 ish size) and my 000-28 both of which are so comfortable to play and a delight as I'm completely pain-free.

Should help you through your problem too.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:59 PM

Alexander Graham Bell once pointed out that when one door closes, another opens, and the trick is to stop grieving over the old door and go see what's out there through the new door.

If that's too esoteric, here's a story:

Back in the seventies, my friend Kevin ran the service department at a high-end VW/Porche dealership on the Connecticut Gold Coast.

VW owners were an odd crowd back then. A lot of them thought their cars had souls. Sometimes when he told someone the car was dead, the customer would break down in tears. It was like their dog had to be put to sleep.

Whenever that happened, he'd hand them his box of Kleenex, lead them out to the dead car, put his hand on the roof, and say, "Put your hand up here."

They would. Then he'd say, "What do you feel?"

They'd say, "Uh — metal?"

Kevin woud say, "Right! It's metal. It's metal and glass and rubber, and it's no use to you anymore, and you need a new one."

He claims it worked. The eyes would dry instantly, and he'd send them over to the sales department to find out what was on tap that day.

So here's my advice: Put your hand on your guitar. What do you feel? If you feel wood and wire, you're ready to close that old dreadnought door and step through the new 0M/000 door.

If it helps, just repeat this mantra: Wood and wire.Wood and wire. Wood and wire. . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion