The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-31-2016, 12:55 PM

Default Presonus Studio One Artist 2 upgrade question

Hey all,

As usual, I come you guys because you're the most knowledgeable people whenever I have a question.

So I bought the Presonus Audio USB interface, which comes with the basic Studio One Artist 2. I have recorded a few things on there, happy with the results, but really haven't explored all it can do.

I have a question, though: I'm looking to get a clean electric sound (and other types of effects) while playing an acoustic guitar, and I'm also looking to add drums and a baseline.

I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to do this with the throw-in package you get with the USB interface, so how much would I have to upgrade (so what?) where I would be able to accomplish everything.

As far as instruments, do you need an electric guitar to get that sound, or is there one you can select and it makes the change from acoustic to electric. And at what level of Studio One is the minimum that comes with drums.

Yeah, total newbie when it comes to recording.

Now that I feel completely stupid, any advice you can offer would be thoroughly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:51 PM

If you're recording an acoustic guitar, you won't get it to sound like a clean electric. It'll just sound like an acoustic.

If you want to record a bass you could just go buy a cheap bass.

The latest Studio One is Studio One 3...the Professional edition, which contains a lot of instruments like drums, organ and some bass sounds and many others, cost around 400 American dollars.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:48 AM

I don't know Studio One (or its options), but using a VST drum software (like EZ Drummer 2) is your best bet for drums.
Nothing you can add for FX is going to make an acoustic sound like an electric, even if you use a soundhole pickup.
Octave pedals will simulate a bass by creating a note an octave below the one you are playing, but better tone will be achieved by buying an inexpensive bass guitar.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 02-01-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I have no Idea about Studio One so no help there. But I am inclined to disagree (to some extent) about making an acoustic sound like an electric.
First lets note what does an electric sound like ? Seems to me that is as varied as is the exponential number of different combinations of styles of electric guitars, pickups and amps that exist.
And while arguably and certainly I suppose to experienced electric players you may not get an exact rendition of say a "clean" Les Paul , Tele or Strat sound etc.
There are indeed a number of Electric guitar and or Amp FX emulations that you can get a completely usable (lets call it "alternative to your mic'ed acoustic) " guitar sound particularly if you are not stuck on an "exact" replication of a specific "clean electric" sound.
For example this song is done entirely with my acoustic. The rhythm strum is a straight mic' ed acoustic strum (no effects) The riffs and embellishments are with amp and pedalboard software FX. Does it sound like clean electric ? I don't know but it doesn't matter because they are distinct from the straight mic ed acoustic sound and they serve the song IMO

BTW the drums are a VST similar to what Mike B mentioned, and if I remember correctly the Guitar FX on this song are the Waves "GTR" stompbox and amp emulations

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-01-2016 at 09:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD