The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2016, 12:36 AM

Default Recording direct with Taylor ES2

I have a Taylor 816e with the Expression System 2, and I enjoy recording with it. I've got two young kids, so my studio time often falls during play and/or homework time.

On the rare occasion I do have some quiet studio time, I record with two or three of my (decent) condenser mics plus the pickup. I usually capture several concurrent signals (i.e. from 2 or 3 mics plus the pickup) and then mix them.

Many times, however, using a mic is simply not possible. There is so much ambient noise that the tracks are useless. In those instances, I would like to make the most of my ES2 system and get the best signal possible.

I have a Zoom R16 and three ART Dual MP rack mounted boxes. I have the Dual MPs set up with a few different 12AX7 and 5751 tubes for various mics and instrument combos. I find most of the tubes work well with mics, but only certain tubes are good instrument preamps.

I find I get a pretty clean and decent signal going through a non-High Z channel straight into the R16. But the ART Dual MP does not have a 1/4" input which is non-High Z. Each channel has an XLR input, and a High Z 1/4".

I would like to improve the signal quality when I am going direct with the ES2. I am not really particular about whether it is through the R16, or if the ADMPs are in the chain. I'm just looking for some advice or good ideas to try. Or maybe some experience with a similar setup?

Thanks in advance :-)
Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 AM

As I replied over in the thread you started on HR.com - no reason to use the Art preamps at all. Adjust the tone and volume on the guitar, record, then do any EQing you feel needs to be done after tracking on the Zoom.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-27-2016, 11:26 AM

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your feedback. Yes, as you say, I have definitely learned that going directly into the R16 is best for the ES2. For the McIntyre and the Dean Markley, however, I do find I can get nice results through the ADMP with certain tube brands and types.

I'd say the main problem I get with the ES2 is that the signal sounds vaguely distorted and/or overcompressed as I play a little harder. I am trying to figure out whether I can do something vis-a-vis the signal chain to address the issue. When I get the chance to do some A-B testing that I can share, I will post the files here. Thank you again for your help :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
admp, dual mp, es2, expression system 2, zoom r16