The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Default Distinctive advantages/disadvantages of the Les Paul/Stratocaster/Telecaster

I know that there are a myriad of models and vintages. I know that any comparison is very subjective, and that the ultimate choice would, of course, be dependent upon what the guitar player needs in terms of tonal quality, features etc., and what and how they play. I know that the apples and oranges argument applies, nevertheless, what would you say is/are the distinctive characteristic(s) of the models you've played. What do you like most about each or any of these iconic guitars, and what do you think that they lack (if anything) compared to the others? You might be surprised how much you can learn on Wikipedia about the Gibson Les Paul, the Fender Stratocaster, and the Fender Telecaster, but I figure that members of this community would be the real experts...
Old 11-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeWebb View Post
I know that there are a myriad of models and vintages. I know that any comparison is very subjective, and that the ultimate choice would, of course, be dependent upon what the guitar player needs in terms of tonal quality, features etc., and what and how they play. I know that the apples and oranges argument applies, nevertheless, what would you say is/are the distinctive characteristic(s) of the models you've played. What do you like most about each or any of these iconic guitars, and what do you think that they lack (if anything) compared to the others? You might be surprised how much you can learn on Wikipedia about the Gibson Les Paul, the Fender Stratocaster, and the Fender Telecaster, but I figure that members of this community would be the real experts...
I play a 335. I'm selling a like new Tele (because I never play it) and recently bought an EJ Strat because I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Haven't played it. I play a 335.

btw I actually spend most of my time playing my Collings D2HSB.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeeWebb View Post
From my perspective: Les Paul - Great, full tone, terrible ergonomics. Possibly the worst shape & balance of any electric.

Telecaster: Excellent sound that "cuts" through almost anything when it's called for. Ergonomically, great balance and comfy shape. My favorite.

Strat: Possibly more versatile sounding than a Tele. Not quite as physically easy to deal with due to the thinner body.

YMMV
Old 11-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Ah, this is easy, so step aside, boys, and I'll 'splain it in simple terms:

The distinct advantage of the Telecaster over either an LP or Strat is that the Telecaster is better.

Some may beg to differ, but that's to be expected, and they should be forgiven for their wrongness.

td
Old 11-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post

The distinct advantage of the Telecaster over either an LP or Strat is that the Telecaster is better.

Some may beg to differ, but that's to be expected, and they should be forgiven for their wrongness.

td
Absolutely, completely, 100% correct in every way. The Tele's body is thicker than a Strat, but not too thick like the LP. A great Tele neck pickup will do jazz, blues, funk, etc. The bridge will do chicken pickin' like no other; roll the tone off and add distortion and you got a great rock lead. Put the two pickups together, and get everything in between. Some people feel that they must have humbuckers...that's why God made these and these; and for the P90 lover, He made these.

Leo got it right the first time...trust me.

P.S. That's what the alphabet would look like if there was no Q and R.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:54 PM

I own or have owned all these models. There is no disadvantage to these guitars at all. These are timeless classics! You won't see too many Gibson LP's in a country song or similarly very many Fenders in hard rock. Point is , it depends what you are playing. So own all three! Whoever dies with the most axes wins!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Les Paul - Strong side: with moderate gain, single-string leads sustain forever and are extremely full. In fact, I'm amazed at the number of Strat players who gain up their guitars with pedals so that their single string lead sound is thick like a Les Paul. Great crunchy rhythm. In the middle position the blend between pickups is continuously variable. Downside: They lack an entire octave of overtones the Strats have and two of the sounds as well. Humbuckers reject LOTS of noise. They can get too thick really quick. A bit lackluster as a clean rhythm guitar, except for some very specific sounds. The older you are, the heavier they seem.

ES335 - Very much like the Les Paul but somewhere between a Les Paul and a Strat as far as EQ is concerned and more overtones available, but quite a bit "sweeter" sounding with an airier body sound mixed in. Sweeter than a Strat as well. Many of the ups of other guitars plus that semi-hollow sound. Buuuut, more susceptible to feedback than LPs and Strats.

Strat: Ups: Lots of tones. Lots of overtones. Vibrato tailpiece. Sweetness or brashness, depending on how you set your guitar and amp. Spank, latex, and quack. Downs: significantly less gain than an LP. Significantly less sustain than an LP. Significantly more induced noise than an LP. Trem tailpiece and its complications.

Tele: Ups: a very solid instrument with a fuller sound than a Strat. Spank and lots of overtones to make effects interesting. Downs: the same as a Strat.

Flying V: Ups: An interesting, spanky, banjo-ish sound that really cuts through. Surprisingly good ergonomics when you learn to work them (neck up). Downs: An interesting banjo-ish sound...

Explorer: Between an LP and a flying V in sound but with no spank. Not fun to sit down with.

Firebird reverse: Lots of sustain with a brighter, thinner sound but reminiscent of an LP. Downs - Banjo (through) tuners are kinda weird.

Arguments over ergonomics are like arguments about Ford and Chevy: everyone has different tastes and absolute statements are unhelpful and fruitless. Standing, I find the Les Paul the most comfortable electric guitar out there. It fits in right under my ribcage with just the right natural neck tilt for easy access. Heavy but comfortable, with lots of space between the pickups and under the strings to make picking easy. Sitting, the Strat, Tele, and ES335 are more comfortable. The low altitude of the strings over the Fender bodies takes some getting used to, as does the Strat's middle pickup right where you want to pick. There's the whole long versus short scale thing and it's entirely preference. However, the two scales tend to breed two different left-hand vibrato technique: Short-scale players tend to anchor the proximal joint of the index finger and rotate the wrist around it with the neck relatively static. Long-scale players tend to shake the whole neck, probably because of the increased tension. Basically, remember to always play an LP with a strap, standing or sitting, and position Gibsons with the neck up like a classical. Fender players seem to like their guitars more horizontal.

Each of these guitars has a use in the arsenal and a place in the guitar universe. You've just gotta learn to work 'em.

Take care,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-25-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post

td
It is only better because you happen to have a preference for the Telecaster. I have a preference for the Les Paul but my saying that does not answer the opening post.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
I own or have owned all these models. There is no disadvantage to these guitars at all. These are timeless classics! You won't see too many Gibson LP's in a country song or similarly very many Fenders in hard rock. Point is , it depends what you are playing. So own all three! Whoever dies with the most axes wins!

Hmm...gotta disagree about the lack of Fenders in hard rock. Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend, David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen, Iron Maiden...just a few off the top of my pointy little head
Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantrock View Post
this is really the only answer. each has its advantages and disadvantages so you need the les paul for its dual humbuckers, the tele for its "spank" and the strat for the versatility. unfortunately, i still lack the tele!!

although, mutantrock, you do see a lot of les pauls in "todays" country music. if you can call it country!!?? and, as far as hard rock, jimmy page first used a tele with led zep prior to using a les paul.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 11-25-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-25-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
this is really the only answer. each has its advantages and disadvantages so you need the les paul for its dual humbuckers, the tele for its "spank" and the strat for the versatility. unfortunately, i still lack the tele!!

although, mutantrock, you do see a lot of les pauls in "todays" country music. if you can call it country!!?? and, as far as hard rock, jimmy page first used a tele with led zep prior to using a les paul.
According to wikipedia Jimmy Page used a telecaster throughout Led Zepplein I and for the solo in the studio recording of Stairway...
Old 11-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I have all three (actually, I have 2 teles, 3 strats, and 2 Les Pauls). I like them all, but usually end up with a strat. It really depends on the player and the amp. I have a THD Flexi and all of these guitars sound great through this amp. The amp is so versatile, it's easiy to dial in a good sound. When I used my Fender Pro Reverb amp, the Les Pauls sounded okay, but the Fenders really shine.

I think strats and teles excel when played through a clean or slightly overdriven amp. Both have a unique sound and I love 'em both.

Les Pauls sound great especially in classic rock. IMO Les Pauls handle heavier distortion/overdrive better than Single coil guitars ... but there are exceptions. I also have to say really love Les Pauls (the guitar player) clean sound. Check him out with BB King in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQlWJ1qTVUQ

All these guitars are time tested classics. It's really impossible to say which is better. I can say which guitar is better for ME. FWIW my favorite guitar is a Carvin H2 Fatboy. The workmanship, sound and playability of the Carvin is IMHO (note emphasis on "MY OPINION") better than my EJ Strat, US Deluxe Tele and my most expensive electric, a Custom Shop Les Paul.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog....php?model=hf2

Last edited by JimLin; 11-26-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 AM

Everything I'm going to write is complete novice opinion, but I'd like to weigh in anyway.

I only own one of the three guitars in question here, but I've played all three. I've also listened (as I'm sure you all have) to many players who have used these instruments so I feel like I'm still familiar with their sound despite not having devoted years to playing them.

First....I can't stand Tele's. Their look, their sound, etc etc. Danny Gatton is about the only guy I'd want to see with a Tele in his hands. Other than that, they're too twangy for me, and I know many will probably disagree, but I feel they're too thin-sounding.

Strat's have their place with me. Slightly overdriven through a tube amp, a Strat is colossal to my ears. Listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn work a Strat is awesome. I love it. Same with David Gilmour. Listening to the guy from Red Hot Chili Peppers (?) try and play his Start cleanly is a little off-putting to me (he does some stuff I like, but dude, pick up a different guitar every once in a while). I just feel Strat's are GREAT in some areas, but not good in all areas, if that makes sense...

For my money, a Les Paul is at the top of the three. As far as ergonomics go, I've never felt uncomfortable with it, and I play sitting down 99% of the time. Yes, it is definitely the heaviest guitar out of all three, but it doesn't bother me. It's versatility is unmatched in my book (out of the three of these we're talking about). I think with the right player, and the right settings, a LP can do just about anything.

Novice opinions from a hobbyist, but that's my two cents.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
It is only better because you happen to have a preference for the Telecaster. I have a preference for the Les Paul but my saying that does not answer the opening post.
No, I prefer the Telecaster because it's better.

Duh.

But I won't look down on those of you who prefer something inferior. I mean, you know, that would be judgmental.

But ok, ok, to more directly address the first post: what Les Pauls and Strats lack is Telecasterness. Plus they are prone to needing to be tuned every few months, and that's a real time-waster.

td

Last edited by tdrake; 11-26-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLin View Post
...FWIW my favorite guitar is a Carvin H2 Fatboy. The workmanship, sound and playability of the Carvin is IMHO (note emphasis on "MY OPINION") better than my EJ Strat, US Deluxe Tele and my most expensive electric, a Custom Shop Les Paul.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog....php?model=hf2
I had a Carvin DC200 whose workmanship was better than most Fenders and Gibsons plus it's a better value. With its coil splitting switches and phase switch it was quite versatile and its 25" scale neck placed in between Fender's 25.5" and Gibson 24.75" scale. It is one of my favorite electric guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification