The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-25-2015, 08:26 AM

Default Help with upcoming performance

Hi

I'm new here and have registered because I need some urgent help with an upcoming performance. I have been asked to play a guitar piece at a poetry recital in one week's time. It's been suggested that I model it on the Harp Consort's 'The Art of Fantasy', which is something I have not come across before. As I understand it, it is renaissance era music.

I'm hoping that somebody could possibly point me in the direction of tablature that can provide me with a piece to play, lasting no more than five minutes. I'm generally a rock/pop guitarist so am not an accomplised classical player, although technically I am good enough to learn it. If someone could possibly help me Iīd be really grateful.

Thank you in advance,
Martyn
Old 07-25-2015, 09:47 AM

Hello, if you are looking for true Renaissance period pieces you are well served in the guitar genre as it covers a lot of lute music, much of which has been transcribed for the guitar. So you could look at pieces by the English composers such as Dowland and Byrd although they may be considered early for the period. Bach of course and Milan and Sanz. But a favourite of mine is the Suite in D Minor by Robert De Vise, typical of the period and not too difficult, and although it's a suite, it lends itself to having segments of it played seperately as a "mini suite."
You haven't left yourself much time to get this stuff "off", but I think I read that Julian Bream prepared the entire Conierto de Aranjuez in a month so it is possible!
If you are more comfortable with tab I would suggest you look at some of the Mel Bay publications as my own copies of these bits and bobs are all just ordinary stave stuff. But I wish you well, if this is your first solo recital I know what a nerve wracking experience it can be.
But go for it!
Old 07-25-2015, 10:48 AM

Wow, what great suggestions, thank you very much! Iīve just found a load of tabs for Suite in D Minor and youīre right, they seem fairly straightforward to learn, although I havenīt got a lot of time.

The recital is in an old churchyard in Spain so itīll be a perfect setting for the piece. Thank you again for your help.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 PM

I'm looking at playing Prelude from the Suite in D Minor and then either Sarabande or Allemande. Which of the two do you think is easier to learn?
Old 07-29-2015, 07:55 AM

Both present their own challenges , but Technically the Sarabande is the easier piece
Good luck
Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 PM

The Prelude is quite a nice piece too and will set you up for the others (as it should!), and it's not too difficult.
By the way, that setting sounds just perfect. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Bach never disappoints

I like the Suite in D Minor
Old 07-29-2015, 01:56 PM

In the end I couldn't find the tab for Sarabande so I am tackling Allemande. Two days to go and a little stressed but is coming together. I've got Prelude off ok and the first half of Allemande is in my fingers. Just got to learn and get the second half down.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
Bach never disappoints

I like the Suite in D Minor
Can you learn Bach in a day?
Old 07-31-2015, 03:01 AM

Ok so I have been practising all week and must have done about 30 hours at least. I think I'm kind of there but the performance is tonight. I would like to continue with some intense rehearsal up until the performance but my hand and tendons are now really sore. I don't know whether continuing will cause it to get worse, or whether stopping will stiffen up my hand.

Anyone have any advice please?
Old 08-01-2015, 01:52 PM

give your hand a rest. it will stiffen up, but give yourself a solid hour of warmup before you play and you should be back in good shape. Pop a couple of Aleve!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:16 AM

Hi Martyn,
if you've done it by now, how did it go? If you're about to do it, good luck.
Please report back on your success.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Yes inquiring minds want to know!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical