The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 AM

Default My New Guitar

Some of you will have seen my previous posts about my search for a new acoustic guitar. There was a false dawn as I bought a Sigma 000R-28v and although I loved the sound of it the quality of the actual guitar was not that good. Consequently I sent it back for a full refund.

The search therefore continued and Crafter, Takamine, Blueridge and Recording King appeared on the radar however I then discovered Alvarez. Unfortunately I live nowhere near an Alvarez so all my research was done online and I even spoke to the UK importer/distributor for some advice. There were a few models that interested me but in the end the one that I homed in on was the AG75CE. A Grand Auditorium with cutaway. The top is solid cedar and the sides are laminate rosewood.

The next step was to find one at a good price. They are listed at £449 and after phoning a few shops I managed to get Gear4Music to sell me one for £390 inc delivery. The delivery was interesting as I bought it yesterday and was told that with free delivery I would receive it next Tuesday. I was therefore surprised to find an email this morning that it was on the van and out for delivery. Sure enough it is now in my possession!
As well as Gear4Music giving the best price I also had the reassurance of knowing that if I didn't like the guitar then they would collect it FOC and give me a full refund.

So, have I made the right decision?
I have to say that the guitar looks gorgeous with its cedar and rosewood combination. As soon as I picked it up it felt good and playing it felt nice too.
I've played it a few times during the day and I just love the sound which has a nice warmness compared to the spruce top acoustic I have.

I'm pretty sure my search is over and no one is more relieved than my poor wife who was getting thoroughly fed up at the amount of time I've spent on it!

Hopefully, like the wife, I'm sure this is THE ONE!!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:58 AM

"So, have I made the right decision?
I have to say that the guitar looks gorgeous with its cedar and rosewood combination. As soon as I picked it up it felt good and playing it felt nice too.
I've played it a few times during the day and I just love the sound which has a nice warmness compared to the spruce top acoustic I have."

Sounds like you made a decision that was right for you, if you like it that much. But, of course, we have no way of confirming that without PICS
Old 02-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Sounds like a decision to me! Play on and when you take a break take some pictures to post.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:19 AM

Pics will follow at some point. I need the light to be right and not have to use flash.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Until I get some pics loaded you can see the guitar on this video from 1.20 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1JMwC8tYk
Old 02-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Cool NGD - Alvarez AG75CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirmish View Post
I'm pretty sure my search is over and no one is more relieved than my poor wife who was getting thoroughly fed up at the amount of time I've spent on it!
Hahahahaha!!! Been there, done that! It's a 'jealousy' thing, when you're not paying enough attention to her. Or, maybe she would like to have a guitar of her very own? Ok, that's a stretch, but it never hurts to ask!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 AM

I've tried to get he her interested in playing the guitar but she doesn't like the idea of cutting grooves in her finger tips!
Actually she's more into keyboard instruments like the piano and accordian.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 PM

Cool NGD - Alvarez AG75CE

Quote:
I've tried to get he her interested in playing the guitar but she doesn't like the idea of cutting grooves in her finger tips!
Sounds like a plan to me! I see a baby grand in your future!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 02-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Hey All,

Congrats!

Wow quite a change - Sigma 000 to near dread size (for bass I assume) Alvarez - spruce for cedar - no electronics to electronics.

Like Miranda says "it takes all kinda kinds" when it comes to guitars and guitar players.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 02-15-2014, 01:15 PM

I think you did good, Alvarez is a very durable guitar with a good reputation -
miles high better than most of the others you listed -sounds like you did your homework -your smart for doing that ! Congrats !
Old 02-15-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
Hey All,

Congrats!

Wow quite a change - Sigma 000 to near dread size (for bass I assume) Alvarez - spruce for cedar - no electronics to electronics.

Like Miranda says "it takes all kinda kinds" when it comes to guitars and guitar players.

-Ed-
Now you can see why the wife was despairing!

Grand Auditorium size is nice. It still feels comfortable to hold/use but there is definitely more bass than my Freshman OOO. I have to say though that the Sigma 000 also had good bass.

I was curious about the sound difference between cedar and spruce and was wondering if the difference would be big. In the end it isn't really but it does have a mellower tone but the top end is definitely there too.

I was always going to electrify any acoustic I got so it made sense, especially with the price, to go that route to start with.

A little advice to the fellow UK forumites.
While some shops stubbornly stick to RRP's plenty are willing to move quite a bit on price. 10% off wasn't a problem and in the end I got £60 off the Alvarez. They're obviously still making quite a decent profit even with those reductions.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
Quote:
Sounds like a plan to me! I see a baby grand in your future!

Glen
Congrats! Sounds like you've made the right choice. Until GAS strikes again that is. Now if you decide to get your wife a baby grand (given their price) you should be able to satisfy quite a number of GAS attacks before you have spent an equal amount on guitars and she then has grounds to complain. Just food for thought.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Well I've had the guitar a day now and had chance to familiarise myself fully with it.

I think the action is a little on the high side so a set up will definitely be needed if I'm going to keep it.

However I've discovered something that I'm not entirely happy with.
The bridge is badly attached to the top and there looks to have been some material (of unknown type) fitted underneath to fill some of the gap.

It doesn't look too tidy and on a guitar with a value of £450 I really wouldn't expect to see that.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on that please.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Well I've had the guitar a day now and had chance to familiarise myself fully with it.

I think the action is a little on the high side so a set up will definitely be needed if I'm going to keep it.

However I've discovered something that I'm not entirely happy with.
The bridge is badly attached to the top and there looks to have been some material (of unknown type) fitted underneath to fill some of the gap.

It doesn't look too tidy and on a guitar with a value of £450 I really wouldn't expect to see that.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on that please.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Doesn't look like "filler", looks like the bridge is lifting and you are seeing some of the glue that attached it. It would need to be re-glued. Should be a warranty issue it it was new or return it for exchange.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:49 AM

I would opt for a refund on that. Not sure I would trust a shop that sends out a guitar in that condition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion