The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-27-2015, 08:56 AM

Default lets see how do I put this?

I have a problem with my fingers moving when I play an E in the first position and then try to bar it down to say the 5 to 7th fret, no matter how or what I do at least one of my fingers wants to jump the string when I get there. This only seem to happen with the E position. Does not matter how hard or light, or if I cord the E using three fingers with the pointer up off the strings until I want to slide down and use it to bar, or use my first 3 finger as I usually do, they still jump strings. I will say I have a similar but different problem with my fingers which is when typing I put an I in about every 3 or 4 words without knowing it until I look up at the screen.

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:13 AM

Maybe a video might help? Hard to visualize.

Is it that if you are fretting an E chord with your middle/ring/pinky and want to slide, your fingers lift off the fretboard? Maybe try practicing slowly. Slide with a single finger and see if you still have the problem, then add another and another. If you just slide the E chord down without trying to add the barre, do you still have a problem?

If you are able to do the same with an Am chord, hard to imagine why an E would be different (friction from wound strings?)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
I have a problem with my fingers moving when I play an E in the first position and then try to bar it down to say the 5 to 7th fret, no matter how or what I do at least one of my fingers wants to jump the string when I get there. This only seem to happen with the E position. Does not matter how hard or light, or if I cord the E using three fingers with the pointer up off the strings until I want to slide down and use it to bar, or use my first 3 finger as I usually do, they still jump strings. I will say I have a similar but different problem with my fingers which is when typing I put an I in about every 3 or 4 words without knowing it until I look up at the screen.
Hello pick me,
Just a suggestion, but assuming you're sliding your fingers along the strings (portamento style or guide finger approach) isolate the finger(s) that are jumping and practice sliding just that finger(s) individually along the string. Start out at a slow enough speed to keep the finger down each time so you're building success into every attempt. You've no doubt heard the saying, "less is more"; my paraphrase for practicing guitar is, "slower is quicker".
Good luck with taming the errant digit(s).

Trevor
Old 11-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61cygni View Post
Maybe a video might help? Hard to visualize.

Is it that if you are fretting an E chord with your middle/ring/pinky and want to slide, your fingers lift off the fretboard? Maybe try practicing slowly. Slide with a single finger and see if you still have the problem, then add another and another. If you just slide the E chord down without trying to add the barre, do you still have a problem?

If you are able to do the same with an Am chord, hard to imagine why an E would be different (friction from wound strings?)
Does not matter what fingers I use. I do not have the ability to record my problem. Like I said cords like an Am have not been a problem just the E. It does happen mostly with a barre chord. I am no spring chicken and my fingers are kind of gnarly from rheumatoid arthritis so I may have to find a better way to go to the E.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Odd problem.

Form the E chord (middle, ring and pinky fingers naturally). Slide up three frets without forming a barre chord with the index finger. See if you can do that. If so then you can figure out how to add in the barre.

BTW you may find this sort of thing a little easier with coated strings (say Elixir Nano light gauge) since your fingertips will glide across the strings with less friction.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-27-2015, 11:14 AM

Which way do your finger(s) jump? From lower tone strings to higher? Or vice versa?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
Which way do your finger(s) jump? From lower tone strings to higher? Or vice versa?
They jump from the high tone to the low tones, and usually its just one finger that jumps in behind the other finger on the same string, which would be the A string which means I have two fingers holding down the A string one behind the other. I should add that it is the index finger that wants to come up and get behind the ring finger on the same string.

Last edited by pick me; 11-27-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:26 PM

How long have you been playing?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-27-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
How long have you been playing?
Off and on for 55 years, so this is a new problem.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Off and on for 55 years, so this is a new problem.
That would have been useful info to have put in your initial post.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
That would have been useful info to have put in your initial post.
I can't argue with that, so now that you know, do you have a more useful solution to my problem. That may seem like a left handed remark but it is not meant to be, seriously would like to correct this if possible.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't argue with that, so now that you know, do you have a more useful solution to my problem. That may seem like a left handed remark but it is not meant to be, seriously would like to correct this if possible.
Based on what you have divulged so far, I'd say time to see a doctor to evaluate the decreased mobility of your joints.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:43 PM

Is there a speed slow enough for this problem not to happen? I mean really, really slow. Waaay slower than would work for actual playing.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Is there a speed slow enough for this problem not to happen? I mean really, really slow. Waaay slower than would work for actual playing.
Exactly.
Try aim-directed movement, rather than playing musically. By that I mean, form the E chord as you would normally do. Then attempt to play the bar, but only after you've been able to form it, and correctly place the fingers. Then play it.
This is not about about timing or music. This is only about placing the fingers correctly in both positions. As slow as it takes for you to get it right. Only then should you try to proceed any further or faster.
See what kind of results you get.
If that doesn't work, then see Rick's post above. It might be time for some non-guitar related medical attention of some kind.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 11-30-2015, 12:48 PM

Sorry for my delayed answer, I have had a very nasty cold and both my ears are plugged which does not make me feel up to playing in the last few days, plus we had company over the weekend.

All the advice given I have already been trying for some time now, referring mostly to playing very slowly. This has helped but not enough to be playable in the course of a song. If I pick up my fingers then barre on the frets in a lower position like the 5th or 7th fret that works but if I try to slide the cord down to those position that is when my problem begins, even when watching, I know it sounds crazy.

I will continue to practice slowly and hope for some results, but I don't play for anything but my own enjoyment in the privicy of my home so a visit the doctor with what most likely would be a recommendation of a minor surgery is out of the question, especially since my income does not depend on my performance. As said, it looks like I will just have to deal with it like most aches and pains in my life. Thanks for everyone's response in an effort to correct my malady with my melody, see what I did there?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write