The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-26-2015, 06:42 PM

Default New player

Hi everyone

Just started guitar! I played piano a few years ago (but had to sell piano to pay rent a few years back haha). I have a vintage v200n which I love, but I'm a bit confused where to start! I can't afford lessons (student) so ive downloaded a few apps, checked online and checked some youtube vids. Should i focus on scales? Chords? Learning songs? All three? Appreciate any advice!!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:16 PM

If you are just starting, and if you like to sing, get a few chords under your belt and find some songs you can use then with. Look through videos for songs you like and try them out.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:28 PM

I can't sing haha. Its something I'd maybe look at in the future but I think I'd like to be able to play proper music on the guitar first. I'd still like to learn chords though
Old 11-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Check out a guy named Justin Sandercoe, I think that's the spelling. He does sell lessons online but you can also access his lessons for free. That'll get you started. Good luck. It's a tough but worthy journey.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:37 PM

If I could go back in time, I'd convince myself to get a guitar teacher. A good one can help you define your musical goals and put you on the road to reaching them. If money is an object, you can always use your body as an object. (I speak from experience.)
Also, I wish I'd spent as much time practicing scales as I did chords. I'd be able to have more fun playing with others and I wouldn't have angered so many neighbors.
Whatever you play, learn to do it with your eyes shut. This will exponentially magnify both your enjoyment and your musical imagination. In fact, if I put out a guitar instruction book, it would be filled with nothing but pictures of people with closed eyes.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Use my body as an object? Errrrrr???? Lol. I'll check out that guys free lessons, thanks for that!
Old 11-27-2015, 04:42 AM

+1 for Justin Sandercoe, aka justinguitar. Plenty of lessons on youtube, and even free ones on his own site.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:36 PM

Justin sandercoe is my new hero. What a legend, his lessons are great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write