The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-25-2015, 05:42 PM

OK, that was simple! UnrealBook. Nice. We'll see how it does long term.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

I am still using OnSong on an iPad Mini (first gen) - no issues. A couple other apps have had some glitches after an update (either iOS or the app), but no issue with OnSong.

For the record, I do not use PDF files with OnSong; much easier to download a text file from the internet and be able to change the key or make edits.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:03 PM

Larry, do you know if you're able to use a non-alphabetic order of the songs in a named list? It'd be great if I could put them in the order I'll be performing.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Larry, do you know if you're able to use a non-alphabetic order of the songs in a named list? It'd be great if I could put them in the order I'll be performing.
Hi bw…

Yes, I think all of the song reading apps let you build individual lists for personal use listing songs in the order you need. UnrealBook is built on the premise we want to build sets and arrange the order.

To build sets in UnrealBook you have to load the songs onto the iPad Unreal library - and you only have to load the library once ever. I add new songs while plugged into the computer through iTunes. Once your songs are on board, then you create and modify lists by clicking in the center of a page and exposing the menus, then click the plus sign (lower left corner) and choose New Set List. Choose the songs in order from the library. Give the set a name, and save it and you go back to the first song in the list.

You can modify lists and rearrange them by going back to the plus sign and hitting Modify list, and then dragging the song up/down in the Set List using the three bars at the right end of a line.

You can jump around in your existing list by clicking the right-upward arrow (bottom right corner) and clicking on the song in the list you want to jump to.

It's worth reading the instructions. They are thorough and helpful.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-25-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Easy with OnSong, and you can save/name the set list to use it again later. Also easy, if someone requests a song you happen to have in your full list, to go to that song, then go back to the set list.

Most of the time, if I don't have the song in my "personal memory bank," all I need is a jog with the first line and chord... but, I have mine set up for the time on each song (approx), and the song will scroll so you don't have to "flip pages" (even if it is with a foot pedal).

I'm not reading as I'm playing (most of the time) - nice to have it there as a "memory jog," though.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:37 PM

Thanks, Larry! I had gotten "Lists" confused with "Set Lists". It works great, and really very similar to OnSong just paired down a bit (fine by me). I really like having the next songs title displayed at the bottom... very handy.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
What specifically is bothering you? I haven't noticed many changes at all and still use it. The only thing I have noticed is that it's slow to respond sometimes but honestly that's more to do with my iPad. The recent apple software updates have literally slowed my iPad down to the point where I hardly use it.

Same here. It's now slow molasses on my iPad 2. Then again, so is Chrome. I wondered if it was due to having so many songs loaded, but It may be the iPad itself.

I do have issues with not being able to see the entire page sometimes. It won't scroll to the top and won't let me change the size of the document.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:07 PM

For anyone considering their options, take a look also at Set List Maker. I use it pretty much only for gig setlists and occasional new song lyrics, but it also imports PDFs, JPGs and etc., has a ton of features (color coding, scrolling lyrics and lots more that I don't even use) and is constantly being updated and improved by the developer. I couldn't be happier with it. I use it live with my iPad but I also synch it to my iPhone, so I can do all my set list organizing and lyric importing and all that wherever/whenever I want, and then just synch the iPad. Apple and Android platforms too.

www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/main/home

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-07-2015, 12:53 PM

Two gigs with unrealBook and I'm now an advocate. Check out this app!
Old 12-07-2015, 01:39 PM

I have over 450 songs stored in OnSong and use it extensively every week with absolutely no issues. I have an Ipad Air and am up to date on all updates. That being said...i don't use pdf's. I'm wondering if that is what is causing the issue. I know the developers want you to use other formats.
Taylor 214ce DLX (Sunburst)
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I use PDF's and have loaded about 200 of them. Now, about 20% of the time, when I select a song from one of my lists, the screen goes blank and I'm then unable to view any song from any list. Only ending the app and turning the iPad off can clear it.
I have the same problem with onsong.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write