The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Guest 2143

Default Spider bridge, steel or brass, round neck resonator options?

I wonder if there are any resonators with a spider bridge, brass or steel body, and a round neck besides the Gretsch Bobtail 9221 and some of the older Dobros (some model 33s and others)? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:22 PM

The National company made their "Smith and Young" spider guitars for a few years.

They are a bargain if you can find them.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
The National company made their "Smith and Young" spider guitars for a few years.

They are a bargain if you can find them.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do know about these, but my guess is that there are not many out there and they might be hard to come by to try and/or buy.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I do know about these, but my guess is that there are not many out there and they might be hard to come by to try and/or buy.
Oh yeah. It's a case of if you want one, scour ebay and buy it. No tryouts. I just may. I'm not a completionist, but I do have a bit of a National fetish/collection.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Oh yeah. It's a case of if you want one, scour ebay and buy it. No tryouts. I just may. I'm not a completionist, but I do have a bit of a National fetish/collection.
I picked up a Dobro Model 60 a while back and have been playing it more than my National. In fact, I am barely playing the National at all. I just love the warmth and sustain of the Dobro. This is why I am thinking trying a metal bodied spider bridge.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I picked up a Dobro Model 60 a while back and have been playing it more than my National. In fact, I am barely playing the National at all. I just love the warmth and sustain of the Dobro. This is why I am thinking trying a metal bodied spider bridge.
What kind of National do you own? My preferred is a tricone. I have a wooden and a brass biscuit because they were literally too good a deal to pass up. Once in a lifetime on the brass. But I'm not a huge fan.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:54 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
What kind of National do you own? My preferred is a tricone. I have a wooden and a brass biscuit because they were literally too good a deal to pass up. Once in a lifetime on the brass. But I'm not a huge fan.
I have a VS Delphi, but I have played lots of others and have owned a couple of others before, including a tricone. For single cones, I definitely have preferred wood or steel to brass.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I have a VS Delphi.....
Nice playing on the tunes on your website, I specially enjoyed "Here I Am, Lord Send Me". Is that the Delphi you're playing? In any case, sounds good.

Gordon
Old 11-29-2015, 07:40 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe paul View Post
Nice playing on the tunes on your website, I specially enjoyed "Here I Am, Lord Send Me". Is that the Delphi you're playing? In any case, sounds good.

Gordon
Thank you for the kind words! If I remember correctly, it is my Vintage Steel Delphi that I used for that song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments