The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Default Buzz, but not coming from frets?

At least, I don't think it's from the frets.

On my new Larrivee, I have what sounds like string buzz on the lower strings, the A and D primarily. It's a metallic buzzy jangle, but the instrument appears to be properly set up, I don't see any fret contact occurring, and the buzz occurs even with the strings unfretted. I took it back to the luthier once already; he did a little neck tweak but said it was probably just because the strings were new. I don't think so now; they're not new anymore and the buzz is still there. More so, if anything.

Could the saddle be causing it? I'm going to take it back to him again but I'd like some opinions before I do.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 AM

Check this out:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...buzzintro.html
et al
Old 08-07-2017, 11:28 AM

probably saddle or nut. take it back, play it so that the buzz is heard.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
At least, I don't think it's from the frets.

On my new Larrivee, I have what sounds like string buzz on the lower strings, the A and D primarily. It's a metallic buzzy jangle, but the instrument appears to be properly set up, I don't see any fret contact occurring, and the buzz occurs even with the strings unfretted. I took it back to the luthier once already; he did a little neck tweak but said it was probably just because the strings were new. I don't think so now; they're not new anymore and the buzz is still there. More so, if anything.

Could the saddle be causing it? I'm going to take it back to him again but I'd like some opinions before I do.
Sounds like something might be loose. Maybe a tuner buzzing or loose brace. Is it an acoustic electric? If so, some part of the electronics might be loose and vibrating.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Probably string contact on saddle. Check its contour.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-07-2017, 12:07 PM

It's a new guitar and I would take it in for a good full setup. Nut, saddle, frets, relief, truss-rod - all checked for proper adjustment. When a guitar changes living locations, west to east, high to low, one humidity zone to another, things can change. A set up will make your Larrivee play wonderfully and without buzz.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:56 PM

I recently took my guitar (Lowden O32c) in for a setup at Ian Kelly because it had a slight buzz which I assumed was from the strings. He looked at it for about 10 seconds, tightened the machines and the buzz was gone. He went on to do a complete setup and lowered the action. He did a great job.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I had a loose truss rod that did that once. I just snug it up and all was good. Another thing it can be is the washer on the tuning peg. Some flat picker take them off.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-07-2017, 01:19 PM

I think the strings ends may not be firmly seated up against the bridgeplate on the inside of the guitar. This could cause what you are describing.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:59 PM

OT

"Thank you! Thank you very much! And now a little number I'm sure you all know, featuring the great Lloyd "Buzzy" Fretz on electric guitar ..."
Old 08-07-2017, 02:47 PM

Does is have electronics? I once had a mysterious buzzing that was caused by a loose wire jangling inside the body of the guitar. In this case, it also might be as simple as tightening the end pin (or not).
Old 08-08-2017, 10:37 AM

Thanks guys. This gives me a few things to look at before I take it back to the luthier.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 AM

Could be one of a dozen things, most of which have already been mentioned. But on a brand new guitar from a respected builder, the only thing I've ever heard cause buzzing was a loose truss rod. That's something you could remedy yourself, if it is indeed the issue.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 08-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Could be one of a dozen things, most of which have already been mentioned. But on a brand new guitar from a respected builder, the only thing I've ever heard cause buzzing was a loose truss rod. That's something you could remedy yourself, if it is indeed the issue.
I like this answer, but it could be even simpler.

I once thought I had a loose truss rod causing a rattle/jangle, but it turned out to be a nut on one of my tuners. Oddly, I couldn't tell where the sound was coming from. It sounded like it was from inside the neck, nowhere near the peghead. I checked the truss rod tension, but it seemed okay. I took it to one of my techs who also checked the tension on the truss rod before finding a loose bushing nut on a tuner. I felt pretty stupid after he found it, but the apparent origin of the noise confused him too.

After a quick tightening up of the tuner, and a check of the others, everything was fine.

opencee

Old 08-08-2017, 01:52 PM

One way to check for a problem with the nut slots is to lift the string out of the nut slot, put a little piece of paper down over the slot, and then put the string back in over it, and check to see if it still buzzes.

I actually have one guitar that buzzed on the A string which the above process fixed. In fact, the fix worked so well I never bothered having the nut repaired.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion