The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Default New pickup test additions - Maton and Cole Clark

Thanks to an AGF member, Mkel12, I just added two cool new samples to my pickup test page. We now have a Maton and a Cole Clark! Check them out, tests #127 and #128 at http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/

We hear so much about these guitars and especially their pickups, but this was the first time I've got to check them out in person. Thanks, Mike!

Last edited by Doug Young; 10-11-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Thanks Doug! I have always been a huge fan of the Takamine palathetic and I am pretty sure Maton and Cole Clark use the same type of technology. I think the main difference is that both companies also add in a mic or SBT to add an even more natural tone. I know that the pickup element itself does degrade the acoustic tone a bit which is why Maton, Cole Clark and Takamine tend to be more known as "stage" guitars. However, their pickups are just incredible live and are the only systems that I know of that sound amazing with even aggressive strumming.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I had a Cole Clark Fat Lady FL2AC that sounded decent when amplified but subdued when played acoustically. This guitar had the Face Brace pickup that was attached to the bottom of a branch of the top's x-brace, along with having the palathetic-style pickup which is, as mentioned, similar to Takamine's but the six elements are larger in the Cole Clark version. Overall, the amplified tone was good but not any better than some other guitars and systems. There was still a slight quack in the tone when driven hard.

Cole Clark guitars tend to be very heavily-built with a Spanish-heel-type neck/body joint and a carved top that includes the braces being carved-in. These all-solid-wood guitars are very roadworthy! At the time I bought my Cole Clark (2009), they were an excellent value as I think I remember paying about $1100 for it. The USA distributor for Cole Clark is located about 60 miles from my home and there is a dealer, Roxy's Music Store, in Batavia, New York, that usually has a good inventory on-hand.

Cole Clark FL2AC:

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-12-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I had a Cole Clark Fat Lady FL2AC that sounded decent when amplified but subdued when played acoustically. This guitar had the Face Brace pickup that was attached to the bottom of a branch of the top's x-brace, along with having the palathetic-style pickup which is, as mentioned, similar to Takamine's but the six elements are larger in the Cole Clark version. Overall, the amplified tone was good but not any better than some other guitars and systems. There was still a slight quack in the tone when driven hard.

Cole Clark guitars tend to be very heavily-built with a Spanish-heel-type neck/body joint and a carved top that includes the braces being carved-in. These all-solid-wood guitars are very roadworthy! At the time I bought my Cole Clark (2009), they were an excellent value as I think I remember paying about $1100 for it. The USA distributor for Cole Clark is located about 60 miles from my home and there is a dealer, Roxy's Music Store, in Batavia, New York, that usually has a good inventory on-hand.

Cole Clark FL2AC:

Cole Clark is probably my least favourite of the bunch. It's true that Maton and Takamine are also over built but I just find the CC models to sound the worst unplugged. I personally have not noticed quack with Maton or Takamine plugged in tones but they all differ a bit. I follow a high energy, celtic band called, "Great Big Sea" and I am always impressed with how good their Tak models sound.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:11 AM

Thanks for putting those up Doug. They do sound great. I don't know if I want a Cole Clark or a Maton guitar in order to get one of those. I kind of like the sound of the Cole Clark better.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Doug for the great playing and recordings. The Cole Clark is a stock model (Angel cutaway) with a custom-ordered rosewood back and sides and cedar top.

The Maton is a custom shop model, with rosewood back and sides and a torrified spruce top. There is no comparing the two in terms of build quality... the Maton far exceeds the Cole Clark, as it should being a custom shop model. It is every bit as nice as a Taylor GC BTO with Madagascar rosewood back and sides and a sinker redwood top I purchased several years ago from Ted at LA Guitars. I bought the Maton from Jerry at Music Mart in Solana Beach, CA. For those interested, Jerry is incredibly knowledgeable on Matons and their pickup systems, and always has an incredible bevy of stock and custom shop models. Like Ted, Jerry is very friendly and customer-focused.

Mike aka Mkel12
Old 10-13-2015, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Cole Clark is probably my least favourite of the bunch. It's true that Maton and Takamine are also over built but I just find the CC models to sound the worst unplugged. I personally have not noticed quack with Maton or Takamine plugged in tones but they all differ a bit. I follow a high energy, celtic band called, "Great Big Sea" and I am always impressed with how good their Tak models sound.
Do the Takamines that Great Big Sea use have the CoolTube preamps? That can soften any quack and brittleness in the Palathetic's tone.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Do the Takamines that Great Big Sea use have the CoolTube preamps? That can soften any quack and brittleness in the Palathetic's tone.
Their man Tak's are from the early nineties so no CoolTube preamps. Interestingly enough, I have read that earlier Takamine preamps sound better than current models. I am not referring to the CoolTube option but just the normal preamps. Whether or not this is true, I am not really sure. However, the Takamine tones I like best seem to come from artists who use earlier models from the 90's.

Here's a video of the group playing one of their popular tunes. You can see how the lead singer aggressively plays the Takamine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh7yWUjalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification