The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 PM

Question Acoustic guitar for a total biginner: Yamaha FG700S vs Seagull S6 vs Guild D125 vs ..

Hi, everyone! This is an awesome forum! I'm absolutely new to guitar, and have never played it in my life. I'm a vocalist and piano player, but guitar has always been just something I'm passionate about. I play and sing predominantly pop music, sometimes gospel, r&b, soul. And I am finally ready to start learning to play the guitar. I have a budget of $500, and have been researching for the last couple of weeks, and am absolutely stumped. I read that a lot of beginners start off with Yamaha FG700S, which is nice. But I'm not really sure about the sound, to be frank. It just doesn't sound professional enough to my ears. Then, I bumped into Seagull S6 Original Acoustic with solid top cedar and wild cherry back and sides. Everyone seems to love this guitar. And it sounds pretty nice, too (I would say the sound is noble). But I'm not sure it's a good guitar for strumming... I bet it's wonderful for finger style but strumming sounds a little "metallic", if you know what I mean. I love the looks and everything, it's just that I still have doubts about it. Then, I found Guild D125 (all solid mahogany) which sounds absolutely phenomenal! It sound so good when being strummed! And it costs like only $70 more than the Seagull. And all solid mahogany is a big plus too. BUT, it's made in China. Which is a bummer for me because I am very picky on quality. And although China's been making some pretty good darn products lately, I still do not fully trust them, especially with acoustic instruments. Then, on youtube I found another guitar that was being compered to the Guild, and it was Martin DRS1, which sounded every BETTER than the Guild, but of course it's a little out of my budget ($750). And I was already convinced to go with the Martin and to spend extra $250 to get a high quality acoustic beginner guitar until I found out it was made in Mexico. And to be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $750 on something made in Mexico. So I'm absolutely baffled, and don't know what to do or what to choose.

So my question is: What would you recommend to a beginner out of these guitars or maybe something that I didn't mention or looked up yet? Yamaha is fantastic price, just $200. Seagull is made in Canada, and sounds very decent but I'm not sure it's as good for strumming as for fingering. Guild is made in China, but sounds fantastic. Martin is my favorite out of these 4, but it's made in Mexico (and I know its main "headquarters" and plant are located here in the US). I'm a total beginner, never played before. Which one will be the easiest to learn on? Maybe you know some other models/brands that would be also considerable for me? I want my guitar to sound nice and decent, because I have good musical ears, and I know that a good noble sound will encourage me to learn whereas a crappy noise will make me want to quit after a few months. So, please help me choose! Thanks in advance, folks!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 AM

The Yamaha FG-700 is made in China, and it's everybody's favorite go to recommendation for a 1st guitar. Since we're playing with a whole nickel here, you might also audition the Fg-720 & FG-730.

As for the Seagull S-6, yeah it has a cedar top. Is top compression real? I suppose so, but everybody claiming to have an S-6, swear you can strum it, finger pick it, pretty much do what you want with it and it works for them.

As far as your country of origin prejudice goes, you need to get over it, or convince yourself your budget is 2, 3, or 4x minimum, what it is now.

The new Gibson J-15s, (spruce over walnut), are supposed to be dynamite, and one can be yours for the paltry sum of about $1500.00

As far as the Chinese Guilds go, they're spoken highly of. They only have a lefty in the non cutaway dreadnought, so I have to pass.

BTW, they make wonderful guitars in Indonesia, Korea, China, and sometimes Japan. Japan though.not so much. You see, the Japanese worker's wages have gotten as far out of hand as those of Americans. FWIW, most of the prestigious American names have import lines. Breedlove, Taylor, and Guild spring to mind. This is so people with a $500.00 budget, can still get an American name on the headstock. Hey, don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 AM
Guest 429

Check out something from the Seagull Entourage Rustic line. I have the dreadnaught and love it. Great for strumming and fingerpicking. I got a hard shell case for it...

Last edited by Guest 429; 03-25-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:20 AM

I bought the previous iteration of the Yamaha FG700S in 1975 ish. It's been superb value. I hear only excellent reports of the latest one.

Frankly haven't got a clue about the others, but best of luck in your choice. I don't think you'll go far wrong.

Just one comment though, I've had a couple of Chinese-built instruments and they were superb quality, without being in any way xenophobic, they've been making stringed instruments for thousands of years.

Pacrim offerings tend to be excellent value for money, but there is little substitute for picking up various alternatives and 'feeling' them as much as hearing them (age of strings on the guitar can make an enormous difference to the sound).

Do remember, it's ultimately only YOUR opinion that matters . . .

Last edited by brianmay; 03-25-2015 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-25-2015, 05:27 AM

You may want to wait until mid April and look for a Martin Dreadnought Jr. All solid wood and made in the USA, aside from the Richlite fingerboard. It comes with a padded gig bag for around the $700.00 price point.

Link to Dread Jr. http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...10-junior.html
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 AM

I own a FS700 (a 000 version of the FG700) and a Guild D125. The Guild sounds WAY better, in my opinion, but the Yamaha is more comfortable due to size. I play both about equally. I've played the Seagull but have never owned one.

If it were my money, I would (and have) go with the Guild D125. I got a used one for less than $400.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:00 AM

I've owned my S6 since last August and love it. Easy to play and sounds great. It retails for about $400 here in Canada but I found a used one in mint condition and picked it up for $250. I've had friends play it and they're all impressed. Good bang for your buck.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 AM

American made is not synonymous with quality and Chinese made is not an indicator of poor quality either.

Video comparisons are pretty useless too IMHO. I'm unsure as to whether you actually played these guitars or are just going by videos.

The 4 guitars you have described may share the same body shape but are vastly different - Yamaha: Lam b&s w/solid Spruce top, Guild: all solid Mahogany, Martin: All solid Sapele, Seagull: Lam b&s with Cedar top

These guitars all sound different and they are supposed to.

I think you need to do more legwork and play more guitars. Your parameters are far too wide. Better off spending another month or two deciding what tone you really want and pulling the trigger when one truly speaks top you in person.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 AM

Default Need a pickup?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Medium-J...up_p_4660.html

Guitar Fetish is a brand known mainly for their aftermarket electric guitar parts. I picked up a cedar/bubinga acoustic from a fellow AGF'er and love it. If you are going to be performing and need a pickup-equipped guitar, this one might do the trick...
Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 AM

Michael, Welcome to the AGF!

It's a tough choice because they're nice guitars. As far as the Seagull, it'll handle strumming. Also, it may have sounded 'metallic' due to new strings so keep that in mind. You can usually find these used at good prices too.

I'd recommend the Martin simply because you said it was your favorite.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:18 AM

You've narrowed it down to some good choices with solid tops and lam back and sides. All of the choices are good values. You'll need to pick the one that speaks to you, and feels good in your hands.

My personal favorites, at this price point, are the Yamaha FG and FS guitars. Seagull would be my second, but I prefer there thinner neck design. I would bump up to the FG-720s or the FG-730s. They have lam hog and lam rosewood respectively. I play higher end Taylor guitars, yet I bought an FG-730s a backup guitar. I also bought one for my brother, who is a rather expert guitar player, and has no materialistic urges. He makes the thing sing and dance.

If you can increase your budget to $400 or $500, consider a new Yamaha LL6 ARE. A TON of guitar for the money. And, they blend beautifully with the voice, in my opinion.

FWIW, I am also a singer who plays guitar.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 AM

If you're hung up on where it is made, simply get the Seagull or a Martin. There's nothing left out there for you... Lol. Unless you get something used.

I would get a used Taylor 110. They go for $325-$350 all day long. Made in Mexico though. Seriously... the Made in Mexico thing is a non-factor IMO. I have a Fender Stratocaster made in Mexico, and that guitar will go to the grave with me, so will my Taylor.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 AM

The good news - there are a ton of great sounding guitars in your price range
The bad news - there are a ton of great sounding guitars in your price range

My advice, I'd plan on buying a nice, solid top guitar in the $150 - $200 range. Yamahas are nice, as are some of the Epiphones, Alvarez's, Recording Kings, etc. THere are always sales going on, so you can usually find a good deal.

Play your new guitar for the next 6 - 12 months. You'll figure out what you like and what you'd like to change. During the same, save $20 or $30 bucks a week.

Once you figure out what you want, get yourself a nice all solid wood guitar.

TO be honest, you won't have any problem selling your first guitar for pretty close to what you paid for it, or you may want to keep it for a beater.

If you decide to go for a nicer guitar now, be sure to take a look at the Recording King RD-10. It's built overseas, but it is all solid wood and is a great value -

http://www.bucketlistguitar.blogspot...ing-rd-10.html

Last edited by pszy22; 03-25-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:51 PM

Wow! Thank you all for replying and suggesting!!! I think I'll take my time and spend a little more looking for the perfect one. I think it's a wonderful idea to go to a store and try them out myself (I mean, I obviously can't play yet, but I can ask an assistant to play it for me), so that I can listen to the sound live and not through videos. And also I'll be able to hold it myself and feel it. I still think the Guild is very nice, but I'll go directly to the store and ask them all the question. Again, thanks!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, beginner guitar, guild, seagull, yamaha