The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM

Default Samick Greg Bennett OM8CE(Locally available) vs Yamaha FSX700SC(Coming from US)

Hi Guys,

Among of these 2 guitars what would you choose?

Samick Greg Bennett OM8CE with Cedar/Rosewood combo and Clearwave60(fishmam presys+) Original price in USD is $485. Sale price is $290.

Yamaha FSX700SC with Spruce/Nato combo and im planning to buy it from Kraftmusic (STAGE ESSENTIALS BUNDLE) worth $324.99

But here is the thing. Im from the philippines. Samick OM8CE is locally available here but the yamaha FSX700SC, they dont have that model in here. I called the distributor of yamaha here in PH and according to them, they dont have that model and they dont have any clue whether it will be available or not in the future.

Here are my 2 concerns:

1. Among those 2 guitars, what would be best for an "acoustic band"? 1 guitarist(thats me), 1 percussion and female vocalist. Playing on a small bar or cafe.

and

2. If im going to buy the yamaha from the US, will it be safe to send guitar through cargo ship with a shipping fee of around $100(eta 2 months)? Have anyone tried this before?

Thanks,
Carlo
Old 09-03-2014, 06:04 PM

I would chose the Samick Greg Bennett OM8CE . It is locally available and I think the better guitar actually. I love a cedar topped guitar.

These two guitars will sound different from each other. The Bennett with the Cedar top will have a more warm and mellow sound with deeper bass presence. The Yamaha will have a brighter and sharper sound with a bit more focus on the trebles. In your mind, what do you think would be a more ideal sound.. that might answer the question of which one to get.

But I looked at the OM8CE from Greg Bennett and think you will get more guitar for your money and you will get a better guitar (it is also the less expensive of the two). Plus, since it is local you won't have to worry about a guitar being shipped via a cargo ship for over 2 months.

I found a review from a fellow forum member who bought the Bennett, you might like to read it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=179294

Found a video on that guitar as well (no playing, just going over the specs).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxEeMPzhKnY

That's my vote anyway

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 09-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the quick response. And thanks for the links you provided me. 1 point for the samick.

However, i have read a lot of things over the internet that cedar rosewood combo is "muddy". What do they mean about that coz when i tried that guitar, its mellow and warm compare to samick OM5CE(spruce/mahogany).

Can the "muddiness" be addressed by changing the strings to an 80/20 bronze custom light strings?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:26 PM

Mellow and warm sounds like muddy to me. If that sound works for you, enjoy.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo41786 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. And thanks for the links you provided me. 1 point for the samick.

However, i have read a lot of things over the internet that cedar rosewood combo is "muddy". What do they mean about that coz when i tried that guitar, its mellow and warm compare to samick OM5CE(spruce/mahogany).

Can the "muddiness" be addressed by changing the strings to an 80/20 bronze custom light strings?
Hi,

Some people don't particularly like the warm and mellow sound of Cedar/Rosewood. They refer to it as "Muddy". Some people don't like the bright and sharp tone of Spruce/Mahogany. They refer to that as "brash or harsh". But those are just generalizations and each guitar is different from each other. Most times when people complain of the "muddiness" is when they are strumming aggressively and over-driving the top on a Cedar guitar.

Believe your ears and don't pay attention to internet chatter. You tried a Cedar/Rosewood and a Spruce/Mahogany... which one was more pleasing to your ears? That is all that matters. I own a Cedar/Mahogany guitar, a Cedar/Rosewood guitar and a Spruce/Rosewood guitar. I like them all

Quintilian
Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Actually tried a Samick Greg Bennett a few weeks ago, had no idea what it was when I picked it up, but was really impressed. So much so that I went back two days later to find that it had been sold already. Given the choice between the two, I would choose the Samick, like the Yamaha okay but from the brief experience the Samick was a better guitar and if it had a different name on the headstock I think people would be paying more and buying them. Also, I would not even want to deal with a guitar being shipped on a cargo boat, while there is one locally that you can play and try.

As for the cedar, rosewood, my personally like that combo, great especially if you finger pick.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Among of these 2 guitars what would you choose?

Samick Greg Bennett OM8CE with Cedar/Rosewood combo and Clearwave60(fishmam presys+) Original price in USD is $485. Sale price is $290.

Yamaha FSX700SC with Spruce/Nato combo and im planning to buy it from Kraftmusic (STAGE ESSENTIALS BUNDLE) worth $324.99

But here is the thing. Im from the philippines. Samick OM8CE is locally available here but the yamaha FSX700SC, they dont have that model in here. I called the distributor of yamaha here in PH and according to them, they dont have that model and they dont have any clue whether it will be available or not in the future.

Here are my 2 concerns:

1. Among those 2 guitars, what would be best for an "acoustic band"? 1 guitarist(thats me), 1 percussion and female vocalist. Playing on a small bar or cafe.

and

2. If im going to buy the yamaha from the US, will it be safe to send guitar through cargo ship with a shipping fee of around $100(eta 2 months)? Have anyone tried this before?

Thanks,
Carlo
I really like Greg Bennett guitars. They are not as well known or as easy to find as other brands so I think of them as a "sleeper" brand. I'd buy the one available locally. It should work fine with your acoustic band. All you need is a guitar cable and either an amp or sound system and you're ready to play any size venue (sound system will need to match venue size). I also like the looks of this model. Good luck with your purchase and band. Let us know what you get and, of course,post pictures!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
Actually tried a Samick Greg Bennett a few weeks ago, had no idea what it was when I picked it up, but was really impressed. So much so that I went back two days later to find that it had been sold already. Given the choice between the two, I would choose the Samick, like the Yamaha okay but from the brief experience the Samick was a better guitar and if it had a different name on the headstock I think people would be paying more and buying them. Also, I would not even want to deal with a guitar being shipped on a cargo boat, while there is one locally that you can play and try.

As for the cedar, rosewood, my personally like that combo, great especially if you finger pick.
Maybe i should make reservation already, there is only one left in that store where i saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
I really like Greg Bennett guitars. They are not as well known or as easy to find as other brands so I think of them as a "sleeper" brand. I'd buy the one available locally. It should work fine with your acoustic band. All you need is a guitar cable and either an amp or sound system and you're ready to play any size venue (sound system will need to match venue size). I also like the looks of this model. Good luck with your purchase and band. Let us know what you get and, of course,post pictures!
Sure, i will post a picture right after buying the guitar. Hopefully this weekend. thanks.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:14 PM

I wouldn't buy the Yamaha and pay $100 worth of fees. I really like Yamaha in general, but these are both comparable in build quality to each other.

(I have bought and sold several Gregg Bennett guitars, btw).

The chance of getting the guitar crushed in shipping and having to deal with that is also another concern.

Cedar tops are warm and responsive but don't usually have quite as much volume as Spruce. In an OM size I do not think the volume difference will be huge. Samicks come with nicer tuners as well (Grover).

You will be happy with the Samick (IMO).

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-04-2014, 03:24 PM

I've been impressed with Samick guitars I have played and I'm a huge Yamaha fan. I wouldn't blink buying a Samick I liked.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 09-04-2014, 03:54 PM

I think a cedar/rosewood combo with some 80/20 bronze strings would do the trick.
I have a Taylor GS in those woods that sounds great!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:41 AM

Got the samick om8ce guitar already. Will post pic later. its a really a very nice guitar. I really like the way it sounds.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got the samick om8ce guitar already. Will post pic later. its a really a very nice guitar. I really like the way it sounds.
congratulations on a nice guitar.

I had a cedar OM8ce and loved it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Nice! Good luck with your new guitar.. I really think you made the right choice between the two you were considering. Congrats!!

Quintilian
Old 09-07-2014, 02:50 PM

Look forward to the pics... I must say I have really been impressed by them.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cedar, greg bennett, rosewood, samick, yamaha