The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM

Default Putting a pickup in a CF guitar

Quick question: I'm currently looking at CF guitars and some I'm considering don't have a pickup. Let's say I wanted to have a K&K installed. Are there any special considerations that have to be taken when reaming the endpin hole to accommodate the jack, or is it similar to doing so in wood?

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:38 PM

With Emerald CF guitars the surface area needs to be modified properly where the K&K pickups are attached.
When I ordered my X7 and X20, I had the folks at Emerald do the installation of my K&K pickups.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM

I've installed K&K's and MiSi Trio's (Baggs Element UST) in different RainSongs over the years with no particular issues to report. I have a StewMac endpin reamer which I use after drilling out the endpin hole a bit, but I imagine drilling directly to the final dimension would also work well.

I am a little concerned about mounting a K&K directly on CF as the removal technique using a razor blade is not going to work on something not as smooth as a maple bridge plate. However for the CO-DR1100N2 I put a K&K in, I just went for it. To do it again, I might put a little sacrificial veneer between the disks and the top such that a future uninstall might be easier.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actaylor View Post
Quick question: I'm currently looking at CF guitars and some I'm considering don't have a pickup. Let's say I wanted to have a K&K installed. Are there any special considerations that have to be taken when reaming the endpin hole to accommodate the jack, or is it similar to doing so in wood?
When my tech installed a K&K in my Shorty he sandwitched a small piece of ebony on the inside of the pickup jack to add a bit of thickness and give it a bit more lateral strength.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 PM

It's a moot point for me now. I ordered a Journey RT 660 which comes with a pickup installed. But, some good info here. Thanks!

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber