The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 02:55 PM

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and first hand experience. Ed-in-Ohio said it best, I need to trust my gut. When I tried the D-18's at Wildwood Guitars, my gut said to not pull the trigger. Now thats not to say that a D-18 isn't in my future, but as many of you have said, I'm just going to continue trying out guitars (be it Martin, Taylor, Eastman, whatever) and not rush the process. And to be honest, I'm still on the fence about mahogany vs. rosewood (or other tonewoods). Other Larrivees (OM-40R's to be exact) have been on my radar recently too, but without the ability to try them out first hand, I'm hesitant to buy one without playing it first.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxfloyd View Post
Thanks everyone for all of your advice and first hand experience. Ed-in-Ohio said it best, I need to trust my gut. When I tried the D-18's at Wildwood Guitars, my gut said to not pull the trigger. Now thats not to say that a D-18 isn't in my future, but as many of you have said, I'm just going to continue trying out guitars (be it Martin, Taylor, Eastman, whatever) and not rush the process. And to be honest, I'm still on the fence about mahogany vs. rosewood (or other tonewoods). Other Larrivees (OM-40R's to be exact) have been on my radar recently too, but without the ability to try them out first hand, I'm hesitant to buy one without playing it first.

Thanks again everyone.
You should try an Eastman E20D if you can.
Adirondack Spruce/Rosewood
Loud, sustain and gorgeous!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Eastman E20OM sounds really good. If looking at OM rosewood you got to try it.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have wanted to like the sound of a new D-18 for several years.
So many people love them.
There has only been one locally for me to try out.
It was not what I expected.
It lacked volume, sustain and depth.
I have heard some nice D-18's and I'm sure that this one was just not up to par.

Don't settle for a guitar that you are not impressed with, in hopes that it will get better over time.
Continue your search and the right D-18 will come your way.
If not, you may not be a D-18 kind of player.
Some words of wisdom above.

It took me way too many decades to figure this out, but I like just about every guitar with an 18 in its model name, I especially like the ones with more aggressively scalloped bracing and Adirondack tops. I have many friends who do not share that preference.

You could try more D-18s, or a D-18 GE, or a custom built with GE bracing and an Adirondack top. That may do it for you. If it doesn't, as L20A said, "...you may not be a D-18 kind of player."

opencee

Old 02-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
That guitar has been catching my eye lately as a more affordable Martin alternative. Unfortunately I can’t find one locally to try first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Eastman E20OM sounds really good. If looking at OM rosewood you got to try it.
I actually had an E10OM, it was nice but I prefer a 25.5” scale over the Eastman’s slightly shorter scale on their OM’s. That’s one reason I’ve been eying the Martin OM-21. I’ve played it and out of about 4-5 guitars I tried at Denver Folklore Center (including a D18 go figure), I kept going back to the OM-21. Yea it lacked a little of the low-end that a dread produces, but there was just something about that guitar that kept bringing me back. I currently have an OM-15 custom. It’s a very nice guitar that I was able to snag at a great deal locally, but I’m not sure that an all hog OM guitar is quite for me. I love the comfort and playability, and the OM size tone is very nice. I just think I’d prefer something a little brighter and fuller that the OM-21 was able to produce. Perhaps a trip back to the folklore center is needed.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:00 PM

Drive up to Longmont, which is a mini music city, and see the owner at Guitars, Etc. He has plenty of Martins. Oh, and be sure to take your own guitar so you can compare the sound in the same room.

Did you play the pre-owned HD-7 Roger McGuinn signature 7-string when there? One amazing guitar!

How about the pre-owned DSR Sugar Ray they have? What a sound?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 02-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks again everyone.
I think that's a good plan. Keep trying guitars until you find something that moves you. Before you make a choice Perhaps circle back around and ask the sales rep to change the strings on the D-18.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-09-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

You might want to try to find an Eastman dread with a Torrefied top. Great sound.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:09 PM

Be patient. Keep the money in your pocket and spend it when you find the one that you just can’t leave behind. I often see on forums people people mentioning a guitar they tried somewhere that they absolutely loved but didn’t buy or one they wish they hadn’t sold. Give yourself a longer timeframe and enjoy the search.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
... I'm still on the fence about mahogany vs. rosewood (or other tonewoods). Other Larrivees (OM-40R's to be exact) have been on my radar recently too, but without the ability to try them out first hand, I'm hesitant to buy one without playing it first.
I might be biased, as I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my OM40, but if you've had a positive experience with your D-03 I'd say you owe to yourself to track down a 40s series to give a try. As to tonewoods, I went with the intention of buying the OM40r, but after spending over and hour just going back and forth between the rosewood and hog models, I left with the mahogany simply because it's the sound I preferred. Ultimately, believe what your ears tell you.

Also, I was impatient and hadn't been able to find one at all, but Larrivee just released the 40s series in an L shape -- that might give you that sweet spot between an OM and a dread.

Happy hunting!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:52 PM

I have recently gone through some of this. The advice to keep playing guitars until you find the right “one” is sound. I kind of had my mind made up that the Martin I wanted was a D 18 or some other from the 18 family. Played several and none really pulled me in. On a whim pulled down an HD 28 and instantly fell in love with “this particular” guitar. Acoustic guitars are a lot more individual than electric ones in my opinion. I could play several Fender American Professional Telecasters for example and really be only making up my mind about which color I wanted. It is different to me when it comes to acoustics.

The only thing I can say is that it is cheaper in the long run to get what you want and don’t settle.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
I might be biased, as I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my OM40, but if you've had a positive experience with your D-03 I'd say you owe to yourself to track down a 40s series to give a try. As to tonewoods, I went with the intention of buying the OM40r, but after spending over and hour just going back and forth between the rosewood and hog models, I left with the mahogany simply because it's the sound I preferred. Ultimately, believe what your ears tell you.

Also, I was impatient and hadn't been able to find one at all, but Larrivee just released the 40s series in an L shape -- that might give you that sweet spot between an OM and a dread.

Happy hunting!
Bah! Not helping! I had previously tried an OM-02, and while it was a nice guitar, it didn’t really do it for me, though it was a hard choice. I talked to John at Shoreline music, and he was of the opinion that if I didn’t like the 02, then I probably wouldn’t like the 40 series OMs, even with the different bracing. I wonder though if what I felt was missing from the 02 might be there with the 40 because of the new bracing. It’s just a shame that Shoreline is at least a 7 hour drive away, not considering any winter weather through the mountains.
I’ve also previously kept an eye on a L-40 hog that Elderly has. I know someone else to trust my ear and not YouTube clips, but I wish there was at least one decent review of the L-40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
I have recently gone through some of this. The advice to keep playing guitars until you find the right “one” is sound. I kind of had my mind made up that the Martin I wanted was a D 18 or some other from the 18 family. Played several and none really pulled me in. On a whim pulled down an HD 28 and instantly fell in love with “this particular” guitar. Acoustic guitars are a lot more individual than electric ones in my opinion. I could play several Fender American Professional Telecasters for example and really be only making up my mind about which color I wanted. It is different to me when it comes to acoustics.

The only thing I can say is that it is cheaper in the long run to get what you want and don’t settle.
That’s some good advice right there. What you said about the HD-28 is kinda how I felt about the OM-21. I kinda felt like I could have sat there and played that one for hours. But even if I buy one from one of the well-known sponsors at a good AGF discount, that’s pushing my budget.

Last edited by wxfloyd; 02-09-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:07 PM

Default 'nother one

Have you considered a Jumbo? It will have the big body sound but because of the narrower waist will be more comfortable than a dread (at least for most folks).

Also, keep a skeptical ear out for what you hear on your computer - it is no substitute for what you hear played live. And what you near while playing may or may not be the same as what someone else hers standing in front of it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Have you considered a Jumbo? It will have the big body sound but because of the narrower waist will be more comfortable than a dread (at least for most folks).

Also, keep a skeptical ear out for what you hear on your computer - it is no substitute for what you hear played live. And what you near while playing may or may not be the same as what someone else hers standing in front of it.
I have tried a couple of jumbos, but I’ve actually found them to be a little too boomy for me.
Yea I’ve taken what I’ve heard online with a grain of salt. I’ve heard the same guitar sound great in one clip, and terrible in another.

I have a pretty good idea of the sound I’m looking for, just a matter of finding the guitar that gets closest to it. Ideally I’m looking for something that has the even response and mid range of an OM, but with a little more low end. Not necessarily full-on dread low end, but just enough to carry well with maybe a mandolin.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Jamie is spot on. The E20D is a great guitar. It checks all of your boxes.

By the way, I sold my 2016 D18 yesterday. Try as might, I just couldn't get along with the slim neck profile. Tonally, it was warm and round and sweet sounding. It wasn't overly loud, but, tonally, it was all Martin. I'm on the hunt for its replacement...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion