The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

My Martin D28 had a name--Martha. Martha Martin.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-08-2018, 06:40 PM

Nope, I don't name inanimate objects. My guitars are "the 510," "the 600," "the 12 string," etc. Until I finally stopped riding in December my motorcycles were usually simply called "the bike", though I sometimes called my last one "the Spyder." My car is "the Outback" and my previous car was "the Camry."

So, no...I don't.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
No. I respect everyone's preference to do what they want, but I don't get the idea.

I call people names (when I can remember them), I call places by the names they have been given centuries before I was born, and I call pets by the name given by the breeder or last owner (although all the cats I've ever had answered best to the word "food"), and I call inanimate objects like musical instruments by the make and model given to them by the makers.

Frinstance - I call my car a Honda CRV and I call the guitar I was playing tonight my Collings DS1.

OK, I confess that I do sometimes call the female voice of the sat nav "Wanda the Honda!"

But isn’t a city group of inanimate objects? You don’t identify them by their latitude and longitude.

I’ve always thought that if you don’t want to name your instrument that is your business. Likewise, if you do you do and that is your business as well.

Simply no need to post in a thread about guitar naming the fact that you don’t name your guitars.

Mine... Coco My 15 series Martin
Candy my antique yamaha (named by previous owner)

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Only when they won’t stay in tune or I stab my finger on the sharp end of a string!
LOL!

Pickcity, I don't name my guitars but I see no reason why people shouldn't.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 PM

Yes. "Honey, hand me that thing"
Old 02-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I call one 'Martin' and the other one 'Emerald'...
Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Generally no. I've no problem with others doing so, it even sounds sort of cool. But when I do it, I sound pretentious to myself. I was going to call the Englemann over Australian Blackwood Webber "Shelia," like the big blonde with red highlights that she is, but it just doesn't seem natural. Plus, when I call one by a name, it is usually to another person, so that person would have to know what "Gertrude" refers to for a name to be of any use. So any name is usually a variant of what it is. The 00-21. The 00-18. The Froggy. The flock of McAlisters are "The Old Mac," because I have had her the longest, "the New Mac" is self-explanatory, and "the Scratch and Dent Mac" because of her long and turbulent history. Cars generally have been the same, although I've a long-running habit of calling them "the Beast," often delineated by color. "The Blue Beast." The Brown Beast." My Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, though, was quite naturally "The Z-Rex."

I guess the big jumbo-bodied Baritone was also quite naturally, "The Monster," because it is. And due to someone in the past 85 years placing some flower stickers on the old LG2, she is, of course, "Rose."

OMMV
Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 PM

I haven't named my guitars yet, but I will if I want.

I have named my motorcycle (Saya) and my three GPS devices, Fiona, Emily, and...well I forget what I named the new one ...

So I suppose naming guitars would not be that much of a stretch to me.

I think I recall naming the new one Emma.
I guess I'll have to ask her.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Some have names, others don't. I have Gem, Old Gem, and Sideboard.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:17 PM

Of all the guitars that I have owned over the years only one has a name. My 1981 Martin D-35's name is Jessie.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:47 PM

"Poopsie"?

Mmmm, no, not to such an endearing (?) extent, anyway. I know this'll get me some flack (as usual) but I did name a very nice Breedlove concert "Gibson."

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-08-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Brand bash
Old 02-08-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
But isn’t a city group of inanimate objects? You don’t identify them by their latitude and longitude.

I’ve always thought that if you don’t want to name your instrument that is your business. Likewise, if you do you do and that is your business as well.

Simply no need to post in a thread about guitar naming the fact that you don’t name your guitars.

Mine... Coco My 15 series Martin
Candy my antique yamaha (named by previous owner)
I don't name cities--they already have names. And guitar already have names-Gibson, Taylor, Martin etc. I think it's understood that we are talking about names that make guitars sound like people or pets.

And the question was "Do any of your guitars have names?" so I think it's fair to post that you do not and give your reasons.

While we are at it, why don't we name each string and our tuners? "Old Bonnie was a bit sharp so I got her back in tune with Bessie. And last week I broke George and changed him with Rick"
Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Yep...as someone eluded to earlier...it all depends on how I'm playing!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I had cleverly named my guitars Martin, Guild, Larrivee, Gibson, Seagull, Alvarez and Washburn. This worked out well because these names actually matched the names on the stickers in the sound holes, but then I got another Guild and this has caused quite a bit of confusion.

The Guilds are now designated as "this one" and "that one."

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-08-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I had cleverly named my guitars Martin, Guild, Larrivee, Gibson, Seagull, Alvarez and Washburn. This worked out well because these names actually matched the names on the stickers in the sound holes, but then I got another Guild and this has caused quite a bit of confusion.

The Guilds are now designated as "this one" and "that one."

Love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion