The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 PM

Default Takamine P2DC or Yamaha A3R

Hello people,
This is my first post. After roughly 16 years of electric guitar playing, I decided to buy my first electric-acoustic guitar. I don't have the time to visit a music store because of my rough time schedule but I have made an extensive research online (including audio clips).
No Martins or Taylors are available at the online store that I'm planning to make the purchase. After some research I settled on the dreadnought size with a solid spruce top. There are 2 candidates at exactly the same amount of money:
1) Takamine P2DC
2) Yamaha A3R
*3) perhaps a Takamine P4DC (with an extra 200 Euros)

I am writing a lot of music by my own so I was impressed by the electronics on both (the SRT on the A3R looks more promising though).
Also the ebony fretboard and the solid rosewood elements on the A3R are tempting. However I hesitate on the branding name. I don't have something against Yamaha, but I usually tend to support companies that dedicate themselves on making one thing (and make it good). Yamaha makes everything from pianos to powerboats.

Do you have any suggestion between these two? My budget could be between 900 and 1100 Euros.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:26 PM

Both.. or all three... are very similar. Construction and general quality should be pretty close and good, it comes down to small things.

I am a Tak player a Tan 46c for live work, love it. I've tried a couple of the New models but none of the dreds. They all feel nice if not super light (neither is mine). The Tak(s) have the simpler and very reliable preamp. The Yam a more fancy Aura style one which might be nice but I have little experience.

For the record I've played the Tak P3mc (cedar)and the Yam Ac3r (spruce RW) and liked both but prefered the Tak, smaller body is part of that.

I guess it comes down to what you think will suit you better.

Kris
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM

Thank you Chris, I appreciate your reply and I will take everything you mentioned into consideration! I am a short guy (1.74m) with small hands and generally my electric guitar suited me fine the last decades (an Epiphone Les Paul Standard '93). Maybe the concert body style would suit me better, but the dreadnought produces more bass and has more depth, as I came to realize.

Last edited by Gathul; 08-31-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

The Taks in your price range are good values, and the plugged in sound will be very nice.

The Nex body style is very comfortable to play, and has plenty of volume.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
a3r, p2dc, p4dc, takamine, yamaha