The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Default Dynamic Mics and Effects units for live sound? Suggestions?

So I am still trying to put together my ultimate live sound rig and I wanted to get some suggestions and advice from you guys and gals. First, I am looking for a new personal microphone. I had originally thought about the Shure SM86 but then I decided that I wanted to stay away from the live condenser avenue and stick with a dynamic mic. So, I have been looking at The AKG 535EB or the Audix OM6 (or OM7). What really intrigues me though is the Miktek PM9 that was suggested to me. The problem is that there really aren't a lot of reviews of the PM9 out there yet and there is nowhere around me that sells them to try one out. So, does anyone have any experience with the PM9 versus the others? I would love to hear some comparisons if you have. I would also really be interested in any other suggestions that you guys might have.

Another question is whether or not you guys use any effects units or pedals with your vocals. Something like that TC Helicon VoiceWorks or what are some other things that you guys use, suggest or recommend?

And finally, computer or mixer? I have an Allen and Heath ZED 10FX and it seems to work well, but I have been intrigued by using my computer as a mixer and being able to add effects through the computer which could be used for both vocal and acoustic effects. If I did the computer route, what would I need as far as an interface and program?

Kind of a long post, I know, but I look forward to the suggestions and discussion!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:15 PM

If you live near a Guitar Center, they will let you test out many of their models in the store. I like the Senheiser E- 838 for my voice. It sounds more natural for my wide range than an SM58. Some prefer the Heil PR-22UT and claim it is very close to the sound of condenser microphones. It's all personal preference. Ric
Old 02-01-2015, 02:33 PM

Why are you steering away from condensers? BTW, the AKG535 is not a dynamic.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:56 PM

Well, I was just staying away from the condenser because of things that I had read about feedback and such. Doing solo, quiet acoustic stuff it may not be a problem at all. I do love my MXL 990 when I am practicing. I had also heard good things about the Heil PR35 and Sennheiser e935. I could definitely be rethinking my position on using a condenser that is meant for live use.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:06 PM

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with using a condenser-mic for "live"; it's just a matter of choosing the right type of condenser-mic, and setting your gain-staging properly.

Are you primarily looking for a mic for home-studio use?

re computer vs mixer; I'd probably stick to a decent mixer for "live", and save the computer for recording. (processor lag)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:18 PM

Really looking for a live vocal microphone. Something that would be used for small venue solo acoustic stuff.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:33 PM

The AKG C535 EB is a beautiful microphone and I used it for years before getting my Neumann KMS 105. Having said that, one of the reasons for moving to the Neumann was the AKG has a cardioid polar pattern and that's not as easy to manage as the Neumann with its super-cardioid polar pattern. The polar pattern is a big consideration for live work.

For everyday live use I really like the Audix OM5. It has a presence lift in the upper vocal range that helps in a noisy mix. It also attenuates the low end and that's good for reducing handling noise and boominess.
It has a hyper-cardioid polar pattern. Lots of gain before feedback. For this microphone and its siblings you want to be singing directly on-axis for good results.

The Audix OM6 is similar to the OM5 except that the frequency response is flatter in the low end. There's nothing right or wrong with that. Choosing one over the other is more a matter of getting the right match with your voice and technique than reading specifications.

The Audix OM7 is something of a specialty microphone having been designed for VERY loud stages.

Among the three, I don't perceive that there is greater quality as the model number goes up, although the price does. I think that's more a function units produced than anything else.

http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/rang...ic_Vocal.shtml

I consider microphones to be a part of the larger system that includes you, your voice, your technique and then there's the rest of the sound system. For example: A cardioid microphone may be a better choice if you are using floor monitors. You can use super or hyper cardioid microphones with floor monitors if you are careful about where you position things.

That's just leading up to: "What's the rest of the system?"

Last edited by -ST-; 02-01-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:50 PM

That chart is great, thanks for posting that! I have a quieter, tenor/treble voice so I would like to have a little more lower end and clarity. I don't really need something that accentuates the highs.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:56 PM

What else have you got for gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
That chart is great, thanks for posting that! I have a quieter, tenor/treble voice so I would like to have a little more lower end and clarity. I don't really need something that accentuates the highs.
Microphone technique is really important too. If you feel that your voice is quiet, then get up on the microphone.

What kind of microphone are you using now, and what's between the microphone and the audience?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:07 PM

My voice is just naturally quieter. My degree is in voice, so I have always known how to work around or with my natural weaknesses. I have always used a Shure SM58. Not because I loved it or anything but simply because it was always the "standard" and what I was always given. So, when I got my own equipment that is what I knew and what I went with. I never really thought about other microphones. However, I am doing more solo acoustic stuff now and I would kind of like to find something that I really like. I always search until I find a guitar that fits the way I play and sounds the way I want so I just thought that it was time to do the same with a microphone.

The SM58 is a fine microphone, it just doesn't really do it for me. I would just like to find something else.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
In that case, the Sennheiser e945 is one mic you wanna try.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:26 PM

Have you experimented with the 58 thoroughly ? I saw the Eagles in Sacramento last year and they were using 58's on all vocals. If that isn't a statement of their sound quality, I don't know what is. Given, some mics simply do not match well with some voices but 58 bashing seems to be a popular sport.

The rest of your signal chain will also influence the final result. No doubt replacing the mic is the cheapest option but is it the right option. ?
Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Oh, I am not bashing the SM58 by any means. Like I said, I have used it almost exclusively the entirety of my music career. I would just like to try some other things out there. The best analogy that I can come up with is this. I love Rickenbacker guitars, they sound amazing and are completely iconic! However, the necks are too narrow for my hands so they are not as easy for me to play as maybe a Stratocaster or Gibson ES-335. A wider neck just works a little better with my style. I owned and played A Rickenbacker for many years because they are great and I am a Beatles fan. Tried other guitars and found that others suited me better. Now I would like to try some other microphones and see what might work better with my particular voice. No bashing going on at all, just want to try something new.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Oh, I am not bashing the SM58 by any means. Like I said, I have used it almost exclusively the entirety of my music career. I would just like to try some other things out there. The best analogy that I can come up with is this. I love Rickenbacker guitars, they sound amazing and are completely iconic! However, the necks are too narrow for my hands so they are not as easy for me to play as maybe a Stratocaster or Gibson ES-335. A wider neck just works a little better with my style. I owned and played A Rickenbacker for many years because they are great and I am a Beatles fan. Tried other guitars and found that others suited me better. Now I would like to try some other microphones and see what might work better with my particular voice. No bashing going on at all, just want to try something new.
Just try as many as you can. There are lots of good live vocal mics out there. Choose the one that sounds best for your voice and that best fits your musical situation (solo acoustic and vocals in quiet settings, loud rock and roll stage, etc.). I settled on a PR35 for my main vocal mic a few years ago, especially for small ensemble acoustic gigs, but I also use an EV 767a when my band has to play in places where the acoustics make the stage sound hard to manage.

Louis
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Oh no,no I didn't interpret your comments as bashing the 58. It's just that it has been the standard for so long that most people are bored with it when it's still a great mic. If you would like to try a condenser that is nearly dynamic-like in it's ability to resist contributing to feedback, look for a discontinued EV BK1. They can be found as low as $50 and are a fine condenser.

An associate of mine in the Sacramento area used these mics for years until they became difficult to replace. Among the voices he used it on was Stephen Stills who stated he liked the sound of it. I have a pair of them I save for better voices and they do work nicely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification