The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2015, 03:05 PM

Default Ceo-7 for vocal accompaniment

Since I can't afford guitar helping everyone around me! My buddy is interested in purchasing a martin ceo-7. He mainly strums popular music and only plays solo at coffee shops here and there.

His concern is martin guitars have typically overpowered his voice, to the point his ears hurt competing as he has deep voice as well.

How will the ceo-7 do for vocal accompaniment of popular music? Should he look at a gibson instead? He strums w fingers.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:56 PM

I'm not sure about the CEO-7, but I have a pretty mellow voice and my all-mahogany Martin 00-15 is really mellow too and a perfect match for vocal accompaniment. It sounds great finger style or strummed. It's the only guitar that I don't feel like I'm competing with vocally.

Peter Mulvey, one of my favorite artists, plays the bigger 000-15 version, which also works really well:

http://youtu.be/ULPgv4Wju7M
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 02-01-2015, 04:20 PM

A buddy of mine uses the CEO-7 as his gigging guitar now, and it complements his voice VERY nicely.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:29 PM

My personal experience is that a low voice needs a guitar with a good low end to support it. Greg Brown (once one of the best low voices in the business) played a vintage Gibson back in his heyday. I like the CEO-7 but find it noticeably lightweight on the bass end, and think it would sound better supporting a tenor than a baritone. Just my two cents.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 PM

Guitars and voices are both very much things that differ from person to person (or guitar to guitar as the case may be); so trying to answer a "will guitar x go with a voice" question is honestly a matter of guesswork. We can share what works for us, or people we know, or people we've heard, but as far as will it work for your friend? No one can really answer that except for your friend, after he's tried out the guitar.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:15 PM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Dancehallking;4338513]
How will the ceo-7 do for vocal accompaniment of popular music? Should he look at a gibson instead? He strums w fingers.[/QUOTE

My buddy did "Pancho and Lefty" on my CEO-7 last night with a light weight pick, no amps, and he was clear and the guitar was not over powering. We were in a small gathering, which helped for clarity, but all in all I'd say "no problem"
Old 02-01-2015, 05:27 PM

Delete post

Last edited by Dancehallking; 02-01-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:43 PM

I'm not sure I understand -- if he's playing the guitar can he not just strum more quietly or otherwise adjust his attack?

I think that the CEO-7 is a very cool guitar -- have one on the way -- and that it should be suitable for your friend's purposes, but the best way to know what he'll think is to have him play one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion