The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-08-2015, 08:40 AM

Concerning TAB: it goes way back in the history of music to the 1300's and probably predates all other types of notation.
I like to use music with traditional notation because I can read it and this works for me in standard or drop D tuning, however, TAB is still very useful in the more modified alternate tunings--G major (TaroPatch) for instance. TAB works easily for ALL tunings whereas standard notation can make things too complicated for alternate tunings.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:12 PM

Hey ZippyChip! A couple of us have expressed interest in your Classical gas arrangement... may we persuade you to kindly share?

p.s. I don't mind if there's tab with the standard notation.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:25 PM

I'd like to see your arrangement too Zippy Chip! - it's kind of you to offer to share...
Old 02-09-2015, 06:06 AM

For those interested in the full arrangement of Classical Gas, just send me a private message with you email and I will send it to you.
My music was done in GuitarPro6 and has TAB below the standard notation. I can send as a GP6 file or a PDF with MP3.
I am happy to share the score--especially if one of you records and posts it. I have not looked lately but when I did, there were no recordings with the horn section included.

Last edited by ZippyChip; 02-09-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeleric View Post
Tab should not exist. It is for people who want to play written music without knowing how to read written music. A good teacher should not let a student play from tabs.

Yes that may seem over judgmental and I will look at the tab if I see it but I could read music when I played clarinet as a kid so I should be able to figure things out if there are no tabs and the tabs do not tell you how to count the rhythm, and there are often more than one way to play the same notes on the guitar.
Tab will help you with the last bit, rather than wondering what the fingerings are it will tell you, this is vital with more modern styles with extended scale instruments and techniques which notation does not cover. Both are a means to an ends, you can be as judgmental as you want but if you perform in front of people they don't care how you learned, it's how you sound that counts. I agree notation contains much more information and as a minimum and people should learn the rhythmical values if they can but the fact is you can learn by tab and listening to clips of professional players on youtube and utimately the outcome will be the same.

I'm not a strict classical player, notation may suit players that are, but one thing I've learnt over the years is that the best and most ardent readers of music oftem make the worst improviseres. Each to their own I say.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
I'd suggest one of the 'easy classical guitar solos' books. 50 easy pieces by Jerry Willard, Mel Bay's folio of easy classical guitar by Joseph Castle, The Library of easy guitar classics, also by Willard etc....

There's a lot of 'em out there.
1+ on the Jerry Willard books. His "50 Easy Classical Guitar Solos" is a wonderful book with a CD so you know how the pieces are supposed to be played. I still practice with this book and if you have some basic finger style guitar skills, it is not difficult to sound good using this book.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical