The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-04-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
I'm going to throw out an ignorant question here...

How different of a tone do you get with the same pickup in multiple spots... assuming all else is the same?

On the strat you have 3 pickups, all the same, the wiring changes some of the positions, and the lack of tone control changes the bridge, but really... would you get 3 different sounds if all 3 were wired the same?

Likewise with a LP style guitar (2 humbuckers)... if the tone/volume were set the same for both, how different would they really be?

That schecter lists both humbuckers as the same thing.
Night and day difference. We're not talking "D28 vs D18" difference (to use an acoustic example). We're talking "D18 vs national tricone resonator".

A neck pickup and a bridge pickup sound totally different because of the different way the string is vibrating at the point that it is being sensed. Toward the neck, you get more bass, less treble, a softer attack and just a totally different tone to the edgier, "harder" attack, less-bassy and more-trebly tone of a bridge position pickup.

Just check out any demo that runs through different pickup positions, like this one:

Last edited by MBE; 02-04-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
How different of a tone do you get with the same pickup in multiple spots... assuming all else is the same?
Consider the Gibson Grabber Bass. In the '70s, a friend of mine had one.

Yep, that really is a pickup on a sliding panel. As you moved it towards the neck the tone mellowed. As you moved it towards the bridge the tone got sharper.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 PM

One more dynamic to consider now that we've moved to pickups - 2 vs 4 knob guitars.

After having 2 and 4 knob guitars I realized a 4 knob configuration is part of some classic or desirable tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars