The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2013, 05:05 AM

Default Jim Croce Trivia ..

It's incredible to think that Jim Croce wrote Photographs and Memories, New York's not my home, Operator, Leroy Brown, Rapid Roy, You don't mess around with Jim, These Dreams, Time in a bottle and one of my favorites, I have to say I love you in a song .. all in the same week. Now's there's talent.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:09 AM

+1000. I haven't listened to Jim in YEARS... but I grew up listening to him, as my parents loved him. Amazing songwriter.

Similarly (?) my wife had the same experience, but with John Denver. I don't really know Denver's music that much (except for the hits), but apparently he was also an amazing songwriter.

No I need to go listen to my Jim Croce box set...
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-04-2013, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Jim and I graduated from Upper Darby High School outside Philadelphia, although not at the same time. UDHS alumni also include rocker Todd Rundgren and Tina Fey....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Jim Croce was as amazing as they come. And from what I hear, also a very family oriented, straight up kind of guy. The person you don't hear about is his sideman, but he was always with him, and to my memory, was one of the best around in his day at making the song sound better. Listen to the background the next time you listen to Jim Croce. I think his buddy was ahead of his time.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 10-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouses View Post
Jim Croce was as amazing as they come. And from what I hear, also a very family oriented, straight up kind of guy. The person you don't hear about is his sideman, but he was always with him, and to my memory, was one of the best around in his day at making the song sound better. Listen to the background the next time you listen to Jim Croce. I think his buddy was ahead of his time.
You're referring to the late, great Maury Muehleisen, who was Jim's musical partner for many years; an amazing player who no doubt contributed to Jim's amazing music. Maury was with Jim at the time of the plane crash that took them way too early.

I'm sure if you google Maury, you can find out much more about him.

SM
Old 10-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Musical minimalist

One of the big reasons I picked up a guitar in the first place.

Extremely talented and so young......he had the face of a 45 or 50 year old, but he was only 30 when he passed. 40 years ago, now that's hard to believe.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Jim Croce was great. I Got A Name is one of my favorite songs. I know he did not write that tune but I love his version of it.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 AM

I used to live in Media, PA and the local store Skip's had a Martin D-28 and a resonator type guitar that Jim had ordered from him. Not sure what the model was but it was the kind you fret like a guitar.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:29 AM

The first albums I ordered from the Columbia Record Club were Jim Croce's. I played them on my crappy phonograph in my room over and over and sang along with them until I had memorized all of the lyrics.
I wonder what great songs we are missing out on because Jim didn't get to live long enough to write them.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I saw him on April 4th, 1973 at the Knoxville Civic Colosseum when he opened for the Doobie Brothers and Loggins & Messina. As I recall, I paid the princely sum of $7.50 for my reserved seat. He was a very talented guy, as was his lead guitarist, Maury. I loved his ballads, such as "One Less Set of Footsteps." I was really shocked and saddened when he died six months later. It was a period when musical stardom and civil aviation didn't mix well at all.

He wrote "I'll Have to Say I love You in a Song" overnight in their kitchen after he and his wife, Ingrid, had an argument about his endless touring schedule. She went to bed alone. She woke up and came into the kitchen for coffee where he was putting the finishing touches on it and played it for her.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Croce was indeed a "great' and his songs were unique

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

He wrote "I'll Have to Say I love You in a Song" overnight in their kitchen after he and his wife, Ingrid, had an argument about his endless touring schedule. She went to bed alone. She woke up and came into the kitchen for coffee where he was putting the finishing touches on it and played it for her.

Bob
I loved that story and also he had promised her then that when the last leg of the tour he was on was done, he was going to quit and come back home and drive the truck again. I think there were 5-6 shows left at that time. Of course, he didn't make it.

Many don't know that he signed an AWFUL record deal and had to tour to make any money. He had 3 songs in the top 10 at one point and wasn't making hardly anything from it.

Like Architype, I've often wondered what he would have done over the next 20 or 30 years.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 AM

I agree with everything you guys posted. Jim was one of my favorites.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 AM

His wife ran a nice place, Croce's, in the gaslamp district in San Diego for years, but it is closing at the end of this year. I hear they may be opening a different place somewhere in San Diego.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 AM

Jiim Croce's one of my earliest favorites even back to when I was a kid.

Anybody know what guitar/s he use?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion