The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Default So how successful, commercially, was Healdsburg for luthiers ?

Obviously a great time was had by all, and judging by the pictures on the threads here, there was a plethora of great guitars, not to mention a plethora of great guitarists, but at the end of the day, when the figures are tallied up, did you all sell the guitars you intended to sell, and did you all take a significant number of new orders ?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:17 PM

Default Schenk Guitars

I heard it was "great" show and a great time.

Commercially: I did hear that one luthier: Schenk Guitars, sold multiple (I heard specific number from a very reliable source) and are strongly considering purchasing one.

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM

Don't want to hijack the thread but I was curious if the luthiers still sell these guitars at the price they would be brand new. I mean after a couple of days and hundreds of different people playing them have they become used to some repect?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

As of Saturday, Mike Baranik had sold one guitar. I know this because I was going to buy it, but, someone beat me to the punch.

Steve
Old 08-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

I managed to talk to a number of the luthiers present at the Festival this year, and asked most of them whether they sell their instruments there... the responses varied from, "Sold all of them last year" to "Hopefully!"...

Several of the makers had only 1 or 2 instruments that were actually "for sale", and had 3 or more that were for "display only"... I can't remember who, but one luthier did not have ANY guitars for sale; they were all privately owned and for viewing only...

I certainly wished all of them a "bumper crop" of sales! I'll check with James Goodall after the dust settles and find out how he did...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

I don't mine chiming in, though I don't know if luthiers feel real comfortable sharing how there business went (especially if it was bad). We brought three guitars, sold one (to an AGF member). The other two were snapped up by dealers who wanted them in their shops - not as desirable as selling them, but better then the guitars cluttering up our shop.

I felt that this Healdsburg had more business going on then the last one, but that's just my perspective. I know that several of the AGF sponsor luthiers had pretty good shows. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone else's impression.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM

I know that Joel Stehr (AGF sponsor) sold a beautiful SJ first day...
Old 08-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

there's more to commercial success at healdsburg than how many guitars were sold. a luthier could bring his/her guitars to the notice of a couple dealers that could sell their guitars regularly forever, or they could be played by a couple guys who decide after thinking for a few weeks that they were the luthier to build their new custom. their guitar could be played by someone who is videoed playing it, the video could end up being seen by several people who decide that's the perfect guitar for them and each order one. they could make a connection and end up giving lectures or luthiery lessons for money, or could end up being interviewed for a publication and that interview could make the rounds. a lot of opportunities here beyond simple sales.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

We had a VERY successful; show
Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
As of Saturday, Mike Baranik had sold one guitar. I know this because I was going to buy it, but, someone beat me to the punch.

Steve
I had a great show but didn't sell anything from my table, probably took a years worth of orders though...

Steve, not to worry, I know where there is a Brazilian OM you'd like

To be honest it would have been worth the trip just to see old friends and meeting the new ones!

Harv
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 AM

I got to play a number of guitars and talk to several builders, including two (John Walker and Willie Carter) that had guitars I would love to own. For me, a part of the custom guitar thing is communication and rapport, and HGF offers the opportunity for that. I expect over the next few months to be communicating with both of them and hopefully making a decision on a custom small body guitar. We'll see, but the point is that a show like this isn't just about selling guitars up front, but about establishing relationships.

Dennis
Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post

Steve
Steve, has Mike got more of the woods you like back at the shop? I missed out on one of his CXs at a store many years ago; so I called up Mike to talk about it and found he had a matching set of wood for the back and sides and an even better choice for the top wood. So go for that phone!
Cheers,
Col
Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 AM

I'm not a luthier, but I think it would be short sighted to measure the success of being at this show in terms of on the spot sales only. True, some customers come ready to buy, cash in hand. Others are still narrowing things down, and still others are just being introduced to luthier built guitars. All three are quite valuable, and I would imagine that the wise luthier would be delighted to have multiples of each type.

In a way, it might be likened to a baseball "farm system." The Major League is the customer buying today, and the other customers are still being developed. If this is true, "success" at a guitar festival is far more than just the total number of guitars sold there.

That said, baseball wouldn't be the same without the Major League!

cotten
Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
Steve, not to worry, I know where there is a Brazilian OM you'd like
Harv
I am going to post this over in the Custom section as well so that I can show a picture, but, I just want to say that Harvey's Braz/German Travel Guitar is THE BEST travel guitar ever built. Thanks to Harvey's generousity in throwing one heck of a great party Friday night, I got to play all of his guitars in the quiet of his room. I picked up this beautiful OM and heard the voices of angels. I was blown away. It was easily one of the best sounding guitars at the show. Bar none! It wasn't until later that I found out that it was actually made with the foldable neck and was meant to be a travel guitar. I couldn't believe it was a travel guitar!!!!!! This is why I say it has to be ranked as the best travel guitar ever. If you want to see what I am talking about, go to the Custom Section to see a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Steve, has Mike got more of the woods you like back at the shop? Col
Yes, Mike does have more of everything on hand.
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion