The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Obsessed by Certain Songs?

I find that every once in a while, I hear a song, and I get obsessed by it. Must listen to it over and over...must learn the lyrics...must learn how to play it on the guitar. Does that happen to you?

Yesterday, I saw/heard an old song on AGF, Hearts, by Jesse Barish, as a cover done by Molly (?). Her rendition is beautiful, and the lyrics are haunting. I must have heard that song in the past, but I really don't remember it.

So I have watched the Youtube version over and over trying to mimic the chords...so far I am up to Fmaj7, E7, Am7. I find that when I am struggling like this, I can pick out the strings that must be in the chords, and then I go hunting for the chord name...I came across Fmaj7 that way, but I think it sounds better with the B# added on the A string. In my next life, I will learn how to read music and study music theory...maybe even take guitar lessons.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

When I'm writing or just have written a song or planning on recording it, I'm obsessed with it Being obsessed with music is a wonderful thing!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

When I've written a song that is really personal for me or touches me inside I play it and listen to it and basically become obsessed with it for a while.

The same thing happens when I hear a song that invokes the same feelings. I'll become obsessed with them until I work out a version that makes it mine.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
I find that every once in a while, I hear a song, and I get obsessed by it. Must listen to it over and over...must learn the lyrics...must learn how to play it on the guitar. Does that happen to you?

Yesterday, I saw/heard an old song on AGF, Hearts, by Jesse Barish, as a cover done by Molly (?). Her rendition is beautiful, and the lyrics are haunting. I must have heard that song in the past, but I really don't remember it.

So I have watched the Youtube version over and over trying to mimic the chords...so far I am up to Fmaj7, E7, Am7. I find that when I am struggling like this, I can pick out the strings that must be in the chords, and then I go hunting for the chord name...I came across Fmaj7 that way, but I think it sounds better with the B# added on the A string. In my next life, I will learn how to read music and study music theory...maybe even take guitar lessons.
Hi Zeeway, I just happened across your post today- thanks for the great compliment on my cover😊! I can help w/some of the chords, if you like. Send me a PM with what parts of the song you need.

I also do the same thing you describe w/becoming obsessed with a song. One that comes to mind is Angeles by Elliott Smith, I just HAD to not only learn it, but figure out how to play it w/exactly the same strumming technique, etc. I’ve never taken lessons, either...as a beginner, I’d used my ear at times to figure out a chord string-by string.
Martin SPD-16R (2000)
Wechter Traditional Custom (2003)
Yamaha LL16 (2000)
Yamaha FG 460 S-12 (1986)

www.youtube.com/mmcs1222
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22 AM

I'm into this bass string then chord thing. G GaddF# Em etc...

So I cant stop playing "Friend of the Devil" or "Willin'" both have that similar run...

Also, not the same run, but the "St. James Infirmary Blues" is one I keep playing over and over.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM

Back in the Top 40 days on AM radio they would occasionally play the really hot single 3 times in a row
Old 01-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaren View Post
When I'm writing or just have written a song or planning on recording it, I'm obsessed with it Being obsessed with music is a wonderful thing!

I get obsessed with a song before I finish it. If i do not finish before the obsession wears off, it is unfortunately doomed to the big drawer of unfinished so gs which sits next to the tiny drawer of finished songs.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcs1202 View Post
Hi Zeeway, I just happened across your post today- thanks for the great compliment on my cover😊! I can help w/some of the chords, if you like. Send me a PM with what parts of the song you need.

I also do the same thing you describe w/becoming obsessed with a song. One that comes to mind is Angeles by Elliott Smith, I just HAD to not only learn it, but figure out how to play it w/exactly the same strumming technique, etc. I’ve never taken lessons, either...as a beginner, I’d used my ear at times to figure out a chord string-by string.
Thanks, Molly. I'll keep on struggling and may need to accept your offer at some point. By the way, I added your rendition of Long, Long Time to my favorites, too.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:13 PM

I still happens to me, and I’m an old fart. Most recently, “You And Me” by Sara Watkins with Sean playing a neat guitar part.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:27 PM

I spent years obsessively mastering the guitar (techniques and styles) than I did learning or playing a song.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 PM

A Pox on you Zeeway!! Now that song is stuck in my head and I know it won't leave until I can play it!! BTW - Molly, you really did a great job on the cover!

LEFTY
Martin Custom Shop 000-28
Taylor 312ce 12-fret
Crafter TA 080/AM
Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 PM

Absolutely happens to me all the time.

My current obsession is a Willie Watson song, Gallows Pole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq8Ob7YOFTw

Originally a traditional folk song, Leadbelly sang it, late Led Zeppelin did there version. Willie's is unique. He's channeling some old voices there.

I'm working on my own spin to it.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Constantly. I'll practice it and play it over and over until I'm sick of hearing it sometimes.

I've learned to give a song a break for a day or two and work on something else to avoid that from happening now.

I'm learning Al Petteway's "Elk Mountain Rag", something in standard tuning for a change. My speed is coming up good, I just have to work on the left hand and right hand string muting.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 PM

Oh goodness yes.

Current obsessions:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-04-2018, 06:52 PM

A song can obsess you if it is clever/catchy, emotionally resonant, or both. If it’s both, then resistance is futile. And of course, the only prescription is MORE COWBELL:

C15002A1-5DB4-4703-8DAF-8A91D7C41C19.jpeg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write