The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
Hey thanks for the update. Looks like a good recording tool as well, just plug straight into a audio interface. How loud is it really? Compared to other amps? Could it cover a coffee house gig?
Its about as loud as other high end battery powered amps like the Roland Street Cube EX, the Mackie Freeplay or likely the New Bose S1. The built in compressors on each channel let you push it a bit more. The notch filters, phase reverse and sweepable mids let you get a really nice guitar sound without feedback.

The sound is exquisite. The digital effects are high quality and tweakable. The speaker sounds like a high end recording studio monitor. Its certainly as good as my Bose L1 / Tonematch system at small gig volumes.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:40 PM

Yes, it would handle a coffee shop gig just fine.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:07 AM

"My birthday is coming soon, dont know if I should get this or a new tattoo."

I'm thinking tattoo, but it depends on what it is...can you give us more info?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
"My birthday is coming soon, dont know if I should get this or a new tattoo."

I'm thinking tattoo, but it depends on what it is...can you give us more info?
Niether, I'm getting a new guitar. Dont know which one yet.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Its about as loud as other high end battery powered amps like the Roland Street Cube EX, the Mackie Freeplay or likely the New Bose S1. The built in compressors on each channel let you push it a bit more. The notch filters, phase reverse and sweepable mids let you get a really nice guitar sound without feedback.

The sound is exquisite. The digital effects are high quality and tweakable. The speaker sounds like a high end recording studio monitor. Its certainly as good as my Bose L1 / Tonematch system at small gig volumes.

Well that sounds promising. How is the dispersion?
Old 01-25-2018, 02:06 PM

It has an 8” woofer and a 1” tweeter in a studio monitor configuration. I can hear highs well off axis to the sides, but it wouldn’t have the throw of a line array type speaker stack.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 AM

One thing also worth mentioning is that the mixer is stereo (with a mono switch) even the the cabinet is mono. There are stereo XLR outputs, but there is a right channel monitor output and two aux sends. The right channel is designed to use with another EAE or Sunburst Gear cabinet to give you a stereo system.

I’ve been following the new Bose S1 Pro thread and that system might actually pair well with the D6-8. They are both 40 Watts and should be close in sound quality and output. That would give me stereo effects and playback from devices like my Boss VE-8, plus plenty of coverage in mid sized rooms. Both units are battery powered, so I could have a simple setup with minimal wires and no extension cords. Hmm...
Old 01-26-2018, 11:14 AM

can you tell me how the bass response is.
i play 7 string going down to g below guitar e and most battery powered amps do not sound good with that. thanks
Old 01-26-2018, 02:08 PM

I play jazzy fingerstyle drop D all the time (a la Mundell Lowe or Johnny Smith) and I am able to do the same thing I do with my Tech 21 Q/Strip. I boost the bass, high pass the lows below that (60 Hz or so) and notch out the frequency that feeds back (somewhere around 200Hz) from boosting the lows. With the D6-8 I can do this recipe without the external preamp.

I know that this duo plays guitar and bass through a single D6-8 when they do restaurant gigs (the they use JBL Eon 1 for larger jobs):

http://m.jorgeynicole.com/About-Us.html
Old 01-26-2018, 04:55 PM

thanks for that. don't know if anyone around here carries that so i can hear it
Old 01-26-2018, 05:39 PM

Default Elite Acoustics Engineering D6-8

Yeah, I had to order it unheard, just taking people’s word for it. It does sound fantastic. It’s just limited to 40 Watts output. I just ordered a Bose S1 to pair with it in stereo. Between the two of them, it should be close to the coverage and sound you would get with an L1C plus a T1 mixer. As compared to the T1 mixer, the D6-8 mixer is a little better. It’s stereo, has more channels, and high pass filters (which I really miss on the T1). Sound quality is similar. In small rooms and coffee shops, I expect to use just the D6-8. I won’t need my full L1 system until I get to crowds over a hundred or so. Usually the larger gigs already have a PA anyway, and I’ll just feed that with the mixer outs from the D6-8. I expect my full L1 system will get very little use.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I had to order it unheard, just taking people’s word for it. It does sound fantastic. It’s just limited to 40 Watts output. I just ordered a Bose S1 to pair with it in stereo. Between the two of them, it should be close to the coverage and sound you would get with an L1C plus a T1 mixer. As compared to the T1 mixer, the D6-8 mixer is a little better. It’s stereo, has more channels, and high pass filters (which I really miss on the T1). Sound quality is similar. In small rooms and coffee shops, I expect to use just the D6-8. I won’t need my full L1 system until I get to crowds over a hundred or so. Usually the larger gigs already have a PA anyway, and I’ll just feed that with the mixer outs from the D6-8. I expect my full L1 system will get very little use.
Please do give us a review when you have them both in hand. I'm trying to find a good battery powered super portable low-to-mid low-volume amp to put with a tone Dexter and acoustic guitar at nursing home type stuff in coffee shops
Old 01-26-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Please do give us a review when you have them both in hand. I'm trying to find a good battery powered super portable low-to-mid low-volume amp to put with a tone Dexter and acoustic guitar at nursing home type stuff in coffee shops
Will do. I should have it by the end of next week. Its not a cheap way to go, but if i can get the sound I'm getting with the D6-8 but with a bit more coverage, I'll be so happy!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Will do. I should have it by the end of next week. Its not a cheap way to go, but if i can get the sound I'm getting with the D6-8 but with a bit more coverage, I'll be so happy!
With the option of using a mixer direct out, why no t just gotten a smaller Sunburst gear or a Schertler, extension amp as your #2? It would’ve been cheaper and you don’t gain a lot of function for $700 with the S1.

Can you tell that I don’t think it’s the Taylor V bracing that’s the over the top marketing phenom of this CES?
Old 01-26-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
With the option of using a mixer direct out, why no t just gotten a smaller Sunburst gear or a Schertler, extension amp as your #2? It would’ve been cheaper and you don’t gain a lot of function for $700 with the S1.

Can you tell that I don’t think it’s the Taylor V bracing that’s the over the top marketing phenom of this CES?
The Sunburst gear has smaller speakers and only 30 watts. Another Elite Acoustics box was about the same price, but physically larger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification